Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by cjk »

I think it would be great if you could make 3+1 compensated F tubas. I wouldn't bother copying old Bessons as most aren't particularly good. . I think i'd suggest starting with a yamaha 621 f tuba body, but with a larger bell like in the yfb-821 (the bobo version of the 621), and a shortened Eb valve section.

Otherwise, the yfb-821 (the bobo version of the 621) would be the first thing i would copy then make the valve section more "normal". By normal, i mean more oriented like a king 2341 or MW.
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

A copy of the Roger Bobo Yamaha YFB 821 F tuba would be much to ask for? :(
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Jonathan, what should we expect to see possibly unveiled when you visit the manufacturer next?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

DouglasJB wrote:Jonathan, what should we expect to see possibly unveiled when you visit the manufacturer next?
I will just say for now, something BIG :lol:
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

the elephant wrote: I know their policy has always been to not do this....
I've never understood what the reason might be either. :?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

There is no embargo as such for not supplying valve blocks. The reason Wessex do not want to sell is mainly a matter of business logistics. We do get such parts for our own new product development and from that I know the hassle of handling such parts. Firstly some parts come from the parts bin, which means they are not necessary fully finished and may not fit satisfactory without work. Then not always all the parts for the valve assembly arrive and if they do they are in unmarked packets and we need to open every packet and figure out what is what. This all takes a considerable amount of time - far more than selling a complete tuba. Andy Loree, Wessex US agent and myself are already working all hours supplying instruments and supporting our customers, so really do not have time to additionally handle parts orders for building projects.

To start such a service would mean Wessex employing extra staff and I do not think the profits from that area of business would cover the cost.

You can always contact us and see if we have damaged horn you might buy cheap to cannibalise for parts.
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

bloke wrote:The only company I've ever know to flatly turn down requests for valve blocks was Weril, and that (at least, as second-hand reported from their US distributor at that time) was years ago.

It's unfair to put Wessex in a corner like that. Big names own the majority of their manfacturing process, and can provide parts more readily (at least in a best case scenario). I don't see Wessex owning their own factory, because it'd hurt their goal of offering horns at affordable prices, but I don't doubt that Jonathan's relationship with JB has improved quality noticeably.

I'd like to see better quality control with stop arm assemblies. All horns I've had experience with have had at least one poorly fitting stop arm assembly. At best, it just increases mechanical noise; at worst, (on a horn not offered by wessex) it renders the valve useless at times
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

In less than one week I will be going to the factory for an 8 days visit, doing Wessex usual quality assurance check of every new instrument made, discussing problems and production/quality improvements - and this time taking over two new models for production. One is a new bass trombone designed and developed by Chris Stearn of Scottish Opera and the other will add to Wessex historic resurrections.

I know that at least one prototype new model tuba is waiting for testing. This is a particularly exciting development I can't wait to try - Wessex first BAT! More on my return...
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

bloke wrote:I really don't understand how a third-hand expressed (manufacturer > importer/distributor > retailer) comment about a western hemisphere manufacturer's policy (a policy from decades ago) could possibly reflects negatively on Jonathan and his products (??)...but ...well... it wouldn't be the first time that I didn't "get" something. :roll:

btw...(just fwiw) I also recently asked Conn-Selmer if they would consider selling complete/new valvesets for 20K sousaphones, and they told me "No" as well.
===================================================================================

anyway... BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION - WHICH IS THE TITLE OF THE THREAD

I'm not sure which factory is making them, but some factory in mainland China has been making a knockoff of the YBB-621 and YCB-621.
I can't imagine either of those being particularly huge sellers...(??)
...but (since the bell and outer bows are already copied...as well as the pistons and tubing) why not (rather than what has been pursued to date) produce a copy of the YFB-621 ?

Are they currently THE "hot" F tuba? Well...no.
How do they rate in the good-vs.-dept? I perceive that they rate well into the "good" column.
How easy are the YFB-621 tubas to play? They are widely perceived as being one of THE easiest F tubas to play.

===========================================================

OK...Now that I have pulled the thread back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC, I'm now going to (as have several others) go off on a tangent:

Over-and-over, I see college students buy F tubas - $3XXX - $1XXXX F tubas.
What do they do with them? They use them to play three or four tuba solos on a Bachelor of Music Education degree recital.
What do they do with them once they graduate and become band directors? sell them for considerably less than they paid for them.
a question: IS this - just a little bit (??) - like the education system-wide "$400 textbook" scam...or is it not like that at all ?

I can understand the frustration, and I don't think anyone is the "bad guy" here but me for putting into in that perspective. The refusal by Conn sounds consistent with the tales of their, and buffet group's, recent flaky customer service.

I agree with the notion that the music student market is one of the causes of skyrocketing tuba prices in the past decade. And, to be frank, Wessex f tubas are good enough - if not better - for the undergrad scenario you mention. . that said, I'd love to see an f version of the "gnagey" or a reproduction of the infamous 3+1 compensating Besson f that plays in tune. . . or closer to it
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

I can say a front piston F is planned. Not a clone, but a new model under development.

For the British 3+1 F, let's see...I am throwing new tubas at the factory quicker than they can measure and build. Last year ⅔ of new model development was specifically for Wessex
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

Wyvern wrote:I can say a front piston F is planned. Not a clone, but a new model under development.

For the British 3+1 F, let's see...I am throwing new tubas at the factory quicker than they can measure and build. Last year ⅔ of new model development was specifically for Wessex

It could be nicknamed to pay homage to a certain concerto premiered by Catlinet
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I hope on the front piston F, the slides for 1-4 or accessible from the top of the horn
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

It's completely okay to go off topic. These off topic discussions usually end up with a spin off topic. No big deal, no worries. And since this is a Chisham administered board, I'm the one who would step in and reel discussions back if needed. (As well as any other moderator).
--farah chisham
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The only possible diversion that I have noticed was about supplying valve sets for building projects - but I am fine with that. Most threads on TubeNet divert off subject at some stage.

The Brexit thread had run its course anyway - so was happy removed.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Any thoughts of a French tuba in C? Or perhaps going a little more into the Bass Woodwinds such as Reed Contrabass (Contrabasse a anche) or even sarrusophone?
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

Front action compensated version of the four most common keys.
Or, for the more conservative types:

4+2 piston F-tuba. Not too big: 4.5/4 rather than 7/4 Kodiak: That´s what CCs are for...
Valve 5: like 2nd valve, slide sufficient to pull to a CC-tuba´s 2nd valve length.
Valve 6: like 1st valve, slide sufficient to pull to a CC-tuba´s 1st valve length.

General slide setup for all models: Focus to minimize spit-collecting loops that might require king-spinning or extra water keys.
Perfect example: Melton 45. All valves drain into main slide by themselves during operation.
Horrible example: Melton 2011 FA. Just the opposite.

Wherever possible, make use of opportunities to fix right hand ergonomics: Straight wrist rather than 90° angle. OUCH!.
Same applies to helikons: Many of those have valves aligned in a way that induces cramps and numbness.

If exchangeable bells for alternate sound characteristics, then also exchangeable leadpipe for the same reason.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Any plans for a FULL lineup of mouthpieces?
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

bort wrote:Any plans for a FULL lineup of mouthpieces?
or mouthpiece cases? I'd love to see a resurrection of the Rocky Mountain Case Works tuba mouthpiece case.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Douglas wrote:
bort wrote:Any plans for a FULL lineup of mouthpieces?
or mouthpiece cases? I'd love to see a resurrection of the Rocky Mountain Case Works tuba mouthpiece case.
Never heard of that before... what were they?
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

They were a really big, well padded, mouthpiece cases. I've attached (lack luster) pictures of my very used case with a Laskey 30G for scale. That Velcro is aftermarket.

Despite my inequalities with my iPhone camera, I think you get the picture.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist