Post by DouglasJB »

I'd second a LARGE 6/4 Rotary CC.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Ken Crawford »

Wyvern wrote:
dasanchezr wrote:What about a CC 6/4 rotary tuba? Something in the line with a Neptune or similar
We could, but I perceive low demand against piston valves 6/4 CC. Maybe in 2019?
And please, please, for the love of all that is good, go to this style:

If Schiller can do it, so can you.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

kmorgancraw wrote: And please, please, for the love of all that is good, go to this style:

We already have! All new Wessex have levers of the B&S design (not Miraphone) in SOLID NICKEL (strong!)
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

To clarify: All new rotary valve wessex tubas now have this style linkage? Not just new models, but on every older model as well?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

kmorgancraw wrote:To clarify: All new rotary valve wessex tubas now have this style linkage? Not just new models, but on every older model as well?
Yes - I don't think we have any old stock with anything else. Most also have removable Z valves, better than supplied by any other company, as they are easy to take out and clean (or even replace).

The rotary valves on new Wessex are quiet and reliable - I will not accept anything else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Well that's a game changer. You should update your marketing to reflect these amazing changes.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

kmorgancraw wrote:Well that's a game changer. You should update your marketing to reflect these amazing changes.
I will get photographed when we are next shooting rotary tuba for website and put up
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

Wyvern wrote:
kmorgancraw wrote: And please, please, for the love of all that is good, go to this style:

We already have! All new Wessex have levers of the B&S design (not Miraphone) in SOLID NICKEL (strong!)
Then I made up mi mind I am buying a Berg Soon
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

When are those new photos hitting the website?
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Wyvern wrote:Nothing can be certain until prototype completed and successful, but here are some plans to help people consider their spending;

Under development 2018
German Kaiser BBb tuba
I'll be very interested in hearing more about the German Kaiser BBb tuba when details are available. There are some great models in development by Wessex, and it's good to see continuing evolution of quality and design.
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

WagnerRing wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Nothing can be certain until prototype completed and successful, but here are some plans to help people consider their spending;

Under development 2018
German Kaiser BBb tuba
I'll be very interested in hearing more about the German Kaiser BBb tuba when details are available. There are some great models in development by Wessex, and it's good to see continuing evolution of quality and design.

Best regards,
Scott
The Kaiser tuba will be based on classic B&F design, but we are working to improve intonation while retaining the great tone of these tubas (the ideal German tuba tone IMHO). The Kaiser is being developed with input from Daniel Ridder of the Musikcorp der Bundeswehr in Germany who we plan will check out the prototype at the factory in August before we go into production. The Kaiser, like the Wessex Chicago CC, will be hand-hammered and therefore lightweight, just like the original horns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

So... This would obviously be a bit of a niche instrument, but I'd like to see a 3/4 Rotary CC tuba with 5 valves, about the size and relative shape of a Miraphone 184 but shorter in height, with a valveset similar in layout to a rotor PT6. (Wide main tuning slide pointed straight down and compact upper slide setup) On this instrument, it would be amazing to have a detachable bell so that the instrument could travel more easily on a plane (a la Kanstul suitcase tuba). My reason for suggesting this particular design is so that pit tuba players might have a travel friendly compact instrument with 5 valves.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

I don't know if anyone else would like this, but I would love to see a five valve CC Helicon. Something for people who do their shedding on CC horns and then can pick up a sousaphone and play everything the same way for standing gigs.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

That's an option that's being considered, although ideally the 5th would be removeable since helicons are often used for strolling and the extra weight isn't always welcome.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

I think I would actually rather suck up the extra weight than have the added complication of the removeable 5th. Id say that the lower center of gravity of the helicon plus the weight of the fifth valve, and minus the weight of the tubing difference between CC and BBb would still make it no less comfortable than a BBb 4 valve sousaphone.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I too would like something that is more cumbersome, plays less in tune, and costs more!!

Uh, strike that...
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

Three Valves wrote:I too would like something that is more cumbersome, plays less in tune, and costs more!!

Uh, strike that...
Cost more is a given, the other two factors are impossible to know since the instrument is completely hypothetical at this moment, and probably will not exist since this is just a "what would you like" thread. I'm sure if the guys at Wessex decided they wanted to make an extremely ergonomic, perfect intonation horn of the above specifications they could probably pull it off at a high price point. But since it would be niche, it would have to aim for a lower price point and sacrifices have to be made.

Besides, my CC horn at the moment strikes all three of those boxes (yorkbrunner) and I still love it. To each his own.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Bnich93 wrote: Cost more is a given, the other two factors are impossible to know since the instrument is completely hypothetical at this moment, and probably will not exist since this is just a "what would you like" thread.
Not hypothetical at all. In fact, the prototype will most likely be built this coming week.
Bnich93 wrote:... perfect intonation ...
Puh-leeez. The equal temperament system is a compromise which the overtone system doesn't care about. NO brass instrument has "perfect intonation".
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Doc wrote:Maybe they could simply copy Joe's Magical Buescher Bloke-o-Phone CC Helicon (for a nominal fee, of course)...
That was my first thought, but I rather think Joe is not interested in helping Wessex as he works for a competitor.

But the talented Wessex team with the huge resources of the factory, I am sure can design a CC helicon that will be as good, or better.
Mtrhed
bugler
bugler

Post by Mtrhed »

I love 6/4 horns but lugging one to practice 3-4 time a weeks is a drag. The travel tubas have their place but don’t fit in well with an orchestra. People seem to hold Piggy’s in high regard and the used models that pop up for sale don’t last long. Maybe Wessex could make a modern piggy, something very compact with a bore >.800? The bigger the bore the better!
Lot’s of tubist here get nostalgic for the piston horns from the early 1900’s to 1920’s. I don’t think I’m alone in liking horns with huge bugles, large bores, and piston valves. Anything with these features that’s well made would sell here in the states. Maybe a satin silver finish option?
You mentioned to me that at one point Wessex had considered the reproduction of an over-the-shoulder horn. I always wanted one of these but they’re so rare and the original horn don’t play too well. I’m a one dimensional player and would need one in Bb. If I was closer to Dan Schultz’s shop I’d be bugging him to build me one of these. I’m also a fan of the King pit tubas but these also might not have enough market to warrant R&D and production.
I’ve never been to an ITEA conference before but am hoping to attend the conference in Washington this next month. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to meet you and discuss the Wessex line more.
My hat is off to you and Wessex for trying to help the Chinese horn industry pull themselves up by their bootstraps. They’ve come along way in the last 10 years.