Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Ken Crawford »

Thanks for sharing the pictures and video. Interesting to see where these shiny things we obsess about come from.

I'm sure a western company would never be allowed by the benevolent dictatorship to aquire such a facility.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

I've seen some Chinese made CC sousaphones pop up on recently, any chance Wessex is planning to offer 1? I see that Schiller has one now but the way the valves look in the pictures there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for your body in there. It may just be the 2 dimensional pictures that are causing me to think that's the case, they don't give you a lot of views. A 4 valve version would definately put you out ahead of the rest of the pack.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Radar wrote:I've seen some Chinese made CC sousaphones pop up on recently, any chance Wessex is planning to offer 1? I see that Schiller has one now but the way the valves look in the pictures there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for your body in there. It may just be the 2 dimensional pictures that are causing me to think that's the case, they don't give you a lot of views. A 4 valve version would definately put you out ahead of the rest of the pack.
I know it’s not a sousaphone but:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86499" target="_blank
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

Kirley wrote:
Radar wrote:I've seen some Chinese made CC sousaphones pop up on recently, any chance Wessex is planning to offer 1? I see that Schiller has one now but the way the valves look in the pictures there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for your body in there. It may just be the 2 dimensional pictures that are causing me to think that's the case, they don't give you a lot of views. A 4 valve version would definately put you out ahead of the rest of the pack.
I know it’s not a sousaphone but:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86499" target="_blank" target="_blank
That looks really promising Thanks for sharing the link
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

In all honesty, I would be interested in any rotary helicon. Any instrument that can be held easily and played for long periods of time without aggravating my hand pain is a +1 in my book
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Curious, are the traditional 3+1 Eb and Bb horns being discontinued?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Voisi1ev wrote:Curious, are the traditional 3+1 Eb and Bb horns being discontinued?
No!

In fact the new 3+1 Leviathan BBb will be out later this year. The ultimate brass band BBb bass!
Innocent Bystander
lurker
lurker

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Appreciate I’m late to this party but...

A comp BBb, suitable for brass bands, but front action - would this not solve some of the ergonomic issues with these instruments?
danontuba
lurker
lurker

Post by danontuba »

Is a larger "Anton" model in the works for 2019?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

danontuba wrote:Is a larger "Anton" model in the works for 2019?
No - there is enough else in development
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Are there any plans to bring the Wessex models to Canada and specifically to the west of Ontario? This country's size and the need to drive very long distances would make a visit by Wessex to a city such as Vancouver or Calgary really appreciated. Thank you!
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

Calvary E-flat with 17 inch bell...
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

bigboymusic wrote:Calvary E-flat with 17 inch bell...
The Gnagey Eb Tuba fits your bill of a 17" bell. It's primarily only in the low range that you would need to use the 5th valve as opposed to the 4 compensating valves on the Cavalry. Both are front action, so you wouldn't need to learn 3 + 1 fingerings.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Just call it Calvalry and split the difference. :roll: :)
Teditiks
lurker
lurker

Post by Teditiks »

Steve Marcus wrote:
bigboymusic wrote:Calvary E-flat with 17 inch bell...
The Gnagey Eb Tuba fits your bill of a 17" bell. It's primarily only in the low range that you would need to use the 5th valve as opposed to the 4 compensating valves on the Cavalry. Both are front action, so you wouldn't need to learn 3 + 1 fingerings.
I'd like to see the Gnagey with rotors. Or any other bigger rotary E-flat. The Danube should have been bigger, with the Berg being as good as it is.
If i remember correctly Jonathan had his vision of a E-flat with F-tonality. Or I might be wrong, but that's ok too....
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Mark Finley wrote:I have to agree. I love rotor tubas, and a nice fat sounding Eb would be great
We do have definite plans for Monster Eb in both 5 valve and compensated 3+1 configurations. We also might do rotary valve version, as there is obviously a demand
Last edited by Wyvern on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

cktuba wrote:I'll just throw this out there... a rotary version of the Chicago Presence.
That is also an idea which as Neptune owner I find interesting, but won’t happen this year. Too many other development projects underway!
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

How is the Piston F idea looking?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

dasanchezr wrote:How is the Piston F idea looking?
Still in development
danontuba
lurker
lurker

Post by danontuba »

Wyvern wrote:
cktuba wrote:I'll just throw this out there... a rotary version of the Chicago Presence.
That is also an idea which as Neptune owner I find interesting, but won’t happen this year. Too many other development projects underway!
I like this idea, cktuba. I would love to see also a full line of Cimbassi, especially one in CC. Something like these - http://www.rudolf-meinl.de/index.php?id=4586