Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Post by Wyvern »

KKORO wrote: Any estimated dates?
I would think out 2020. We may have prototype for Midwest this year, but I can’t promise
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

Have Wessex been working with the Champion/Solo Eb basses in any way?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

AnorakHorn wrote:Have Wessex been working with the Champion/Solo Eb basses in any way?
They’ve been moved to high grade production
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

Wyvern wrote:
AnorakHorn wrote:Have Wessex been working with the Champion/Solo Eb basses in any way?
They’ve been moved to high grade production
Thanks for that info!
J. Handley
Eb Tuba
Melbourne, Australia
Teditiks
lurker
lurker

Post by Teditiks »

*bump* @Jonathan,

It has been a wee bit too quiet in this excellent thread. You have certainly your days full of exciting work, and not a lot of time for keeping this thread supplied with news and info. Please accept but a humble request for an update regarding what there is in waiting for us interested.

best regards
Tedi
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Teditiks wrote:*bump* @Jonathan,

It has been a wee bit too quiet in this excellent thread. You have certainly your days full of exciting work, and not a lot of time for keeping this thread supplied with news and info. Please accept but a humble request for an update regarding what there is in waiting for us interested.

best regards
Tedi
I see you are in Sweden. Note Wessex is heading to Sweden next week. We are exhibiting in Karlskrona on Wednesday 8th May, followed by a concert by the Swedish Naval Band with Jörgen Ådvall premiering "Follow the Wind" by Magnus Hylanders playing the Wessex TB693 Prokofiev BBb tuba. This will be followed by the same concert in Eksjö on Thursday 9th. Then Wessex will be at the Swedish Army Bands House in Stockholm on Saturday 11th May exhibiting - to then be followed by Wessex principal artist Will Druiett giving a masterclass and recital which will be played on the British F tuba, TC695 Chicago-York and TB690 Kaiser. So plenty of opportunities for tubists in your part of the world to see, try and hear Wessex!

For new product releases - the new EP600 hand-hammered compensated euphonium is just going into production, as is a 5-valve version of the Kaiser (TB790) and at last the Over-the shoulder Eb saxhorn (OTS) now playable at 440Hz or 452Hz, with the bell pointing backwards or upwards for concert use.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I just noticed on the website that there are 2 pics of a 3V BBb helicon included with the listing for the 4-valver. So... is that an option now?

Also, any update on when the new and improved neck and bits might be available?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Yeah, how did I miss that?? :shock:

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

Still nothing about the CC helicon, I'm thinking about taking some measurements of my king 1130, doing some math, making some molds of the bugle to the mts, then fabricating a CC bugle to attach to a donor valve cluster.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The mandrels for the CC Helicon are being made now. Should be available the first half of 2020.

For the 3/4 CC, design being finalized - probably also the first half of 2020

The TF556 front piston F is being tweaked and yes, you have guessed it, also likely the first half of 2020

Those not involved in brass manufacturing will not appreciate how long it takes to get a new horn to market from initial inception. Even once the design is finalized and all mandrels are made, from my first order to delivery to customers is 7 months.

The next new horns out will be the TB790 5-valve Kaiser, the OTS Over-the-shoulder Eb saxhorn, the EP600 Sinfonico hand-hammered euphonium and the TF458 British F tuba.

No secret that the British F is the one I am personally most excited about - that is an incredible tuba which won over my heart the very first time I heard and played. For those of you that can’t cope with the 3+1 compensated system, a 5 front valve version is planned - that being a fairly small F, will nicely compliment the larger TF556 mentioned above.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Any update on the 6/4 Eb Bat?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

DouglasJB wrote:Any update on the 6/4 Eb Bat?
Prototype being measured at present
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I would love to see a 5/4 CC with rotary valves close to the size of a PT6 or similar or the current Kaiser tuba in CC with five valves.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Hello Jonathan,
What has happened to the "Leviathan"?
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

roughrider wrote:Hello Jonathan,
What has happened to the "Leviathan"?
Just about to go into production in two forms after extensive testing. TB691 with regular formed bows (like Grand) and TB681 hand hammered from sheet brass (like Prokofiev). Both with rotary 4th valve
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I’d like the last six feet or so of the Lucerne made of fiberglass to get it under 20lbs.
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Casca Grossa wrote:3/4 5 rotary CC
The TC337 just about to go into production
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

cktuba wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
KKORO wrote:I would like an "Anton" like tuba made "high grade."
There is a completely new high-grade rotary CC in development

Any more news on this? I'd love to see something similar in size to the MW Tuono, with bell shape similar to the BBb Kaiser.
That is one waiting in line for development. Won’t be before 2020
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Three Valves wrote:I’d like the last six feet or so of the Lucerne made of fiberglass to get it under 20lbs.
That is actually been considered, but I prefer carbon fibre.
doddyhop
bugler
bugler

Post by doddyhop »

A smaller York CC or Large 5/4 CC looking like a 5450 Thor or PT6 with York style tubing configuration.
True/Large 5/4 CC. Not Wyvern 5/4 ("4.5/4").
5 Rotary Kaiser CC similar to Melton 197/2
F tuba that is very large for an F tuba to which may feel a bit like a contrabass tuba
Other Keyed Bass Trumpet: C or Eb