Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby DouglasJB » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Yes, similar to the Titan?
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby UncleBeer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Jonathan: any progress on getting the factory to sell valve blocks (no tubing)?
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby cjk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:19 pm

I think it would be great if you could make 3+1 compensated F tubas. I wouldn't bother copying old Bessons as most aren't particularly good. . I think i'd suggest starting with a yamaha 621 f tuba body, but with a larger bell like in the yfb-821 (the bobo version of the 621), and a shortened Eb valve section.

Otherwise, the yfb-821 (the bobo version of the 621) would be the first thing i would copy then make the valve section more "normal". By normal, i mean more oriented like a king 2341 or MW.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Postby joshealejo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:45 pm

A copy of the Roger Bobo Yamaha YFB 821 F tuba would be much to ask for? :(
joshealejo
bugler
bugler

Postby DouglasJB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Jonathan, what should we expect to see possibly unveiled when you visit the manufacturer next?
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Wyvern » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:25 am

DouglasJB wrote:Jonathan, what should we expect to see possibly unveiled when you visit the manufacturer next?

I will just say for now, something BIG :lol:
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby the elephant » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 am

UncleBeer wrote:Jonathan: any progress on getting the factory to sell valve blocks (no tubing)?

While never bringing in tons of sale money, this would be a wonderful service, Jonathan. Truly.

There are many people who have an old horn they would like to experiment with who would be grateful to have a new set of four front-facing pistons.

Also, individual rotary valve units would be great, too.

I know their policy has always been to not do this, but there *is* a small market for it. Perhaps an exclusive deal, so they can keep this sort of thing to a minimum but still give us access to needed parts through a single dealer?

The things you could sell for sure are pretty limited, which is good. People in the US would certainly purchase .687" and .750" piston sets, and rotors from your 410 tuba and larger up to about .820" would also sell, if offered individually.
I got nothin'…
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby UncleBeer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:58 pm

the elephant wrote:I know their policy has always been to not do this....

I've never understood what the reason might be either. :?
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:32 pm

The only company I've ever know to flatly turn down requests for valve blocks was Weril, and that (at least, as second-hand reported from their US distributor at that time) was years ago.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Wyvern » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:08 pm

There is no embargo as such for not supplying valve blocks. The reason Wessex do not want to sell is mainly a matter of business logistics. We do get such parts for our own new product development and from that I know the hassle of handling such parts. Firstly some parts come from the parts bin, which means they are not necessary fully finished and may not fit satisfactory without work. Then not always all the parts for the valve assembly arrive and if they do they are in unmarked packets and we need to open every packet and figure out what is what. This all takes a considerable amount of time - far more than selling a complete tuba. Andy Loree, Wessex US agent and myself are already working all hours supplying instruments and supporting our customers, so really do not have time to additionally handle parts orders for building projects.

To start such a service would mean Wessex employing extra staff and I do not think the profits from that area of business would cover the cost.

You can always contact us and see if we have damaged horn you might buy cheap to cannibalise for parts.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby k001k47 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:08 am

bloke wrote:The only company I've ever know to flatly turn down requests for valve blocks was Weril, and that (at least, as second-hand reported from their US distributor at that time) was years ago.

It's unfair to put Wessex in a corner like that. Big names own the majority of their manfacturing process, and can provide parts more readily (at least in a best case scenario). I don't see Wessex owning their own factory, because it'd hurt their goal of offering horns at affordable prices, but I don't doubt that Jonathan's relationship with JB has improved quality noticeably.

I'd like to see better quality control with stop arm assemblies. All horns I've had experience with have had at least one poorly fitting stop arm assembly. At best, it just increases mechanical noise; at worst, (on a horn not offered by wessex) it renders the valve useless at times
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:32 pm

I really don't understand how a third-hand expressed (manufacturer > importer/distributor > retailer) comment about a western hemisphere manufacturer's policy (a policy from decades ago) could possibly reflects negatively on Jonathan and his products (??)...but ...well... it wouldn't be the first time that I didn't "get" something. :roll:

btw...(just fwiw) I also recently asked Conn-Selmer if they would consider selling complete/new valvesets for 20K sousaphones, and they told me "No" as well.
===================================================================================

anyway... BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION - WHICH IS THE TITLE OF THE THREAD

I'm not sure which factory is making them, but some factory in mainland China has been making a knockoff of the YBB-621 and YCB-621.
I can't imagine either of those being particularly huge sellers...(??)
...but (since the bell and outer bows are already copied...as well as the pistons and tubing) why not (rather than what has been pursued to date) produce a copy of the YFB-621 ?

Are they currently THE "hot" F tuba? Well...no.
How do they rate in the good-vs.-dept? I perceive that they rate well into the "good" column.
How easy are the YFB-621 tubas to play? They are widely perceived as being one of THE easiest F tubas to play.

===========================================================

OK...Now that I have pulled the thread back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC, I'm now going to (as have several others) go off on a tangent:

Over-and-over, I see college students buy F tubas - $3XXX - $1XXXX F tubas.
What do they do with them? They use them to play three or four tuba solos on a Bachelor of Music Education degree recital.
What do they do with them once they graduate and become band directors? sell them for considerably less than they paid for them.
a question: IS this - just a little bit (??) - like the education system-wide "$400 textbook" scam...or is it not like that at all ?
bloke

Postby Wyvern » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:01 pm

In less than one week I will be going to the factory for an 8 days visit, doing Wessex usual quality assurance check of every new instrument made, discussing problems and production/quality improvements - and this time taking over two new models for production. One is a new bass trombone designed and developed by Chris Stearn of Scottish Opera and the other will add to Wessex historic resurrections.

I know that at least one prototype new model tuba is waiting for testing. This is a particularly exciting development I can't wait to try - Wessex first BAT! More on my return...
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby k001k47 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:14 pm

bloke wrote:I really don't understand how a third-hand expressed (manufacturer > importer/distributor > retailer) comment about a western hemisphere manufacturer's policy (a policy from decades ago) could possibly reflects negatively on Jonathan and his products (??)...but ...well... it wouldn't be the first time that I didn't "get" something. :roll:

btw...(just fwiw) I also recently asked Conn-Selmer if they would consider selling complete/new valvesets for 20K sousaphones, and they told me "No" as well.
===================================================================================

anyway... BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION - WHICH IS THE TITLE OF THE THREAD

I'm not sure which factory is making them, but some factory in mainland China has been making a knockoff of the YBB-621 and YCB-621.
I can't imagine either of those being particularly huge sellers...(??)
...but (since the bell and outer bows are already copied...as well as the pistons and tubing) why not (rather than what has been pursued to date) produce a copy of the YFB-621 ?

Are they currently THE "hot" F tuba? Well...no.
How do they rate in the good-vs.-dept? I perceive that they rate well into the "good" column.
How easy are the YFB-621 tubas to play? They are widely perceived as being one of THE easiest F tubas to play.

===========================================================

OK...Now that I have pulled the thread back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC, I'm now going to (as have several others) go off on a tangent:

Over-and-over, I see college students buy F tubas - $3XXX - $1XXXX F tubas.
What do they do with them? They use them to play three or four tuba solos on a Bachelor of Music Education degree recital.
What do they do with them once they graduate and become band directors? sell them for considerably less than they paid for them.
a question: IS this - just a little bit (??) - like the education system-wide "$400 textbook" scam...or is it not like that at all ?

I can understand the frustration, and I don't think anyone is the "bad guy" here but me for putting into in that perspective. The refusal by Conn sounds consistent with the tales of their, and buffet group's, recent flaky customer service.

I agree with the notion that the music student market is one of the causes of skyrocketing tuba prices in the past decade. And, to be frank, Wessex f tubas are good enough - if not better - for the undergrad scenario you mention. . that said, I'd love to see an f version of the "gnagey" or a reproduction of the infamous 3+1 compensating Besson f that plays in tune. . . or closer to it
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Wyvern » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:47 pm

I can say a front piston F is planned. Not a clone, but a new model under development.

For the British 3+1 F, let's see...I am throwing new tubas at the factory quicker than they can measure and build. Last year ⅔ of new model development was specifically for Wessex
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby k001k47 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Wyvern wrote:I can say a front piston F is planned. Not a clone, but a new model under development.

For the British 3+1 F, let's see...I am throwing new tubas at the factory quicker than they can measure and build. Last year ⅔ of new model development was specifically for Wessex

It could be nicknamed to pay homage to a certain concerto premiered by Catlinet
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Postby DouglasJB » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I hope on the front piston F, the slides for 1-4 or accessible from the top of the horn
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby FarahShazam » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 am

It's completely okay to go off topic. These off topic discussions usually end up with a spin off topic. No big deal, no worries. And since this is a Chisham administered board, I'm the one who would step in and reel discussions back if needed. (As well as any other moderator).
--farah chisham
FarahShazam
Chisham
Chisham

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet Sponsors