Wessex Tubas - what would you like? Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Thu May 12, 2016 10:51 am

Michael Bush wrote:This isn't a request for a particular instrument, but I do wonder if Jinbao could be persuaded to do something about the linkages on rotary tubas.

Michael, Do what to the linkages? I have never had a problem personally and we have only had a handful of issues out of hundreds of tubas sold.

I would be pleased to hear (particularly from repair techs) about suggested quality improvements, as I am (I believe) well placed to get implemented. But I would prefer those by email or PM as I would rather this thread did not turn into a series of grips about quality issues.

I will be going to the factory in June and will with my UK repair tech, Jim Langley be auditing the whole quality assurance process (with full approval of the CEO) - so this is good time to put forward production/quality improvements.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Michael Bush » Thu May 12, 2016 11:09 am

Neptune wrote:
Michael Bush wrote:This isn't a request for a particular instrument, but I do wonder if Jinbao could be persuaded to do something about the linkages on rotary tubas.

Michael, Do what to the linkages? I have never had a problem personally and we have only had a handful of issues out of hundreds of tubas sold.

I would be pleased to hear (particularly from repair techs) about suggested quality improvements, as I am (I believe) well placed to get implemented. But I would prefer those by email or PM as I would rather this thread did not turn into a series of grips about quality issues.

I will be going to the factory in June and will with my UK repair tech, Jim Langley be auditing the whole quality assurance process (with full approval of the CEO) - so this is good time to put forward production/quality improvements.

I sent you a PM, Jonathan. Thanks.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby sweaty » Thu May 12, 2016 11:12 am

6/4 BBb designed by Sam Gnagey.
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Postby guillaumedu » Thu May 12, 2016 11:53 am

6/4 York cc tuba
guillaumedu
bugler
bugler

Postby UncleBeer » Thu May 12, 2016 3:43 pm

bort wrote:BMB is made in China.

Yeah, and their BBb is a winner. Unfortunately, the CC isn't great IMHO. Definitely room in the market for a good CC piston BAT version.
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby arpthark » Thu May 12, 2016 3:50 pm

UncleBeer wrote:
bort wrote:BMB is made in China.

Yeah, and their BBb is a winner. Unfortunately, the CC isn't great IMHO. Definitely room in the market for a good CC piston BAT version.

I remember now playing on Dick Barth's prototype(?) CC at Midwest in 2012. I wasn't a fan of the dependent fifth valve. I think you are definitely right that there is a place for a well-playing York/Holton-style 6/4 CC at a low price point.
arpthark
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Michael Bush » Thu May 12, 2016 7:27 pm

Michael Bush wrote:
58mark wrote:There already is a very nice chinese 621 CC copy. A member of this forum owns one, and as far as I know he's very happy with it. They are hard to find in America, so even Getting wessex to distribute them would be a nice accomplishment

I've got one on order that will be here in a few weeks. Even though he doesn't stock them or put them on the Mack Brass web site, Tom McGrady got it for me.

Just thinking about this again... It may be that it would be worthwhile to offer these Baltimore Brass-style as something that is available in ## days rather than as "in stock". Clearly there is some interest, but even the price-only dealers in Wisconsin and Florida have apparently found that the interest is not so widespread that they keep them on hand, as they did do at one time.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby tubaport » Thu May 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Would love to see a nice piston F. Couldn't go wrong with cloning the Yama 822.

Otherwise, another large BBb compensator for brass band. Something different than the excelsior, more on the lines of a Besson or Yama Yeo.

The new Gnagey Eb is your best I've played yet, for a great price. Keep up the great work!
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Postby Davidus1 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Three Valves wrote:
AnorakHorn wrote:
Another I would like to see is a small front action piston CC/BBb tuba. Something similar to the Yamaha 621 style instruments, with a small 15" or alike bell.

In BBb, that's just what I'm looking for.

One in BBb would be great!!!
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Postby TheGoyWonder » Fri May 13, 2016 12:10 am

Compensated BBb. The Excelsior looked cool but...round 2? Maybe a traditional-looking body, but 3+2 would be an interesting alternative.

4v Eb sousaphone was great idea...but you chose the wrong one, King full circle with the good aspects of Reynolds is the better option. More of large 4/4 size than a monster Eb. Unless you already tamed the monster Eb tendencies in your 28k copy.

Conn 14k. Maybe a 4v 36k.

Make upright bells for old American tubas! King, Conn, Reynolds, maybe the other random recording bell tubas too.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Tabor » Fri May 13, 2016 12:15 am

#1. Valve clusters & parts.

#2. Copy a York 712.
(And why not a 92, & use the same valves as the 712 copy)
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Wyvern » Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 am

If you are at ITEC then do come and say hello at the Wessex booth and feel free to give me your thoughts. We will be exhibiting Tuesday to Saturday.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby toakstertuba » Fri May 13, 2016 12:34 pm

I would love to buy a large Rotary cc that's not a miraphone copy but perhaps something like a Rudy...
toakstertuba
bugler
bugler

Postby T. J. Ricer » Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 pm

sweaty wrote:6/4 BBb designed by Sam Gnagey.

I'll second that idea!

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52461&p=451794&hilit=Mitch+Martin+Gnagey#p451794

(Although, I would make it available with an optional detachable bell-front)

-T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Steve Marcus » Fri May 13, 2016 7:46 pm

T. J. Ricer wrote:
sweaty wrote:6/4 BBb designed by Sam Gnagey.

I'll second that idea!

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52461&p=451794&hilit=Mitch+Martin+Gnagey#p451794

(Although, I would make it available with an optional detachable bell-front)

-T. J.

+ 1
Steve Marcus
https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-marcus-980315b/
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Dan Schultz » Fri May 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Neptune wrote:I would be pleased to hear (particularly from repair techs) about suggested quality improvements, as I am (I believe) well placed to get implemented. But I would prefer those by email or PM as I would rather this thread did not turn into a series of grips about quality issues.....

Jonathan... being a tuba player yourself you should fully understand what a robust tuba is all about. You've played some of the quality German tubas.

You should be able to provide something that I would be willing to endorse.

Quit messing with the 'new models' and perfect something that's already in production. I would prefer to see the internal machine work to at least equal what used to come out of Elkhart.

Cheesy linkages can be replaced by better components. But... rotors and pistons that lack a microfinish can't be helped.

Someone in this thread suggested that WESSEX produce a 5/4 CC or BBb Rudolf Meinl copy. I would welcome that but NOT with the internal finish that's on the current products.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Fri May 13, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby MikeMason » Fri May 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Yep
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Postby DouglasJB » Sat May 14, 2016 2:14 am

I would also vote for a CSO style 6\4 or a 5\4 in the same design. A rotary tenor tuba with 5 valves would also be nice to see, with Alexander, Miraphone, and Cerveny being the only ones I've seen making these tenor tubas, Wessex might just find a niche.
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Wyvern » Sat May 14, 2016 3:36 am

Dan, We already are working on perfecting the finishing, inside and out. There have been huge strides made in the last couple years since I have been going quarterly to China and there is major drive to perfect the job this year. I guess you being an instrument repairer tend to see Chinese instruments of the past and not the latest production, so don't appreciate the advances.

If you are at ITEC, just show me on our display instruments where there should be manufacturing improvements. I will then take that knowledge to China when I visit only one week later and see what I can do.

I do appreciate yours and others expert feedback!
Last edited by Wyvern on Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby lost » Sat May 14, 2016 6:52 am

Hmmm BMB already has a york style 6/4 CC. I like the idea of a new gnagey 6/4 that is something different and innovative.
lost

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet Sponsors