Wessex Tubas - what would you like? Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Ken Crawford wrote:Any update on the Piston F? Prototype photos?

The F tuba project has been one evolving with Chuck Nickles going through about 5 prototypes and we are now developing in consultation with top pro player. So it is taking a while, but will be worth the wait!
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Musical_Eagle » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28 am

Wyvern wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote:Any update on the Piston F? Prototype photos?

The F tuba project has been one evolving with Chuck Nickles going through about 5 prototypes and we are now developing in consultation with top pro player. So it is taking a while, but will be worth the wait!


Is there updates to the size of the piston F? I'm personally hoping for a middle of the road in terms of size.
Musical_Eagle
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby wagtuba23 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

A Wessex NEPTUNE ROTARY 6/4 Tuba in silver!! Would be interesting
wagtuba23
lurker
lurker
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:31 am
Location: Miami Florida

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby bort » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Wyvern wrote:
Ken Crawford wrote:Any update on the Piston F? Prototype photos?

The F tuba project has been one evolving with Chuck Nickles going through about 5 prototypes and we are now developing in consultation with top pro player. So it is taking a while, but will be worth the wait!


Which top pro? Give us something! :)
User avatar
bort
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 9096
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:08 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby tclements » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:53 pm

CC, 5/4, 6 rotary valves (4+2). Gold brass, silver plated
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Campbell, CA

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Douglas » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:32 am

Any plans to sell the Bobo Tenor Tuba(ish) mouthpiece separate from the single c tuba?
Doug Black, D.M.A.
B&S Tuba Artist/Clinician
Tuba/Euphonium Faculty, Winthrop University
Tuba/Euphonium Faculty, University of South Carolina
Principal Tuba, Rock Hill Symphony Orchestra
Acting Principal Tuba, Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra
User avatar
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:05 pm
Location: Rock Hill, South Carolina

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am

Douglas wrote:Any plans to sell the Bobo Tenor Tuba(ish) mouthpiece separate from the single c tuba?

The French C tuba mouthpieces will eventually be available separately
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Doc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:21 pm

tclements wrote:CC, 5/4, 6 rotary valves (4+2). Gold brass, silver plated

Holy cow... kinda like a goldbrass 6v Tuono?
User avatar
Doc
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6268
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:09 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Teditiks » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:01 am

What happened to the monster Eb you hinted about earlier? Is it in the making? Hopefully available with both rotary and piston valves.... :) Can't wait on the latest news regarding your new products.
User avatar
Teditiks
lurker
lurker
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:22 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 am

Teditiks wrote:What happened to the monster Eb you hinted about earlier? Is it in the making? Hopefully available with both rotary and piston valves.... :) Can't wait on the latest news regarding your new products.

Still planned, but we have got to get other tubas into production first. The biggest brass instrument factory in the world can't keep-up with Wessex requirements! :wink:
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Ken Crawford » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:47 am

Wyvern wrote:
Teditiks wrote:What happened to the monster Eb you hinted about earlier? Is it in the making? Hopefully available with both rotary and piston valves.... :) Can't wait on the latest news regarding your new products.

Still planned, but we have got to get other tubas into production first. The biggest brass instrument factory in the world can't keep-up with Wessex requirements! :wink:


Time for Wessex to buy the factory!
User avatar
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 am
Location: Rexburg, ID

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby bloke » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:18 pm

Ken Crawford wrote:...buy the factory!


Though the west was dumb enough to sell out to 中华人民共和国, 中华人民共和国 isn't dumb enough to sell out to the west.
They've got the west on the ropes, and - whenever they wish - can take anyone's offered designs/ideas and - whenever they judge it benefits them more than any current agreement - cancel those agreements...
...and if you think Bell Telephone used to be a monopoly, hey... 中华人民共和国 is a M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y. :|
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 39606
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby UncleBeer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:11 pm

Ken Crawford wrote:Time for Wessex to buy the factory!


The Jinbao factory (the folks who provide the basics for Wessex) is *enormous*. Here's a peek at a small portion of just one floor of the brass production facility. This is just one of many floors: https://youtu.be/uMoV6ZsM-Fw
User avatar
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:07 am

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby UncleBeer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Couple more Jinbao pix:

Image
Image
User avatar
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:07 am

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Ken Crawford » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures and video. Interesting to see where these shiny things we obsess about come from.

I'm sure a western company would never be allowed by the benevolent dictatorship to aquire such a facility.
User avatar
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 am
Location: Rexburg, ID

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Radar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 pm

I've seen some Chinese made CC sousaphones pop up on recently, any chance Wessex is planning to offer 1? I see that Schiller has one now but the way the valves look in the pictures there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for your body in there. It may just be the 2 dimensional pictures that are causing me to think that's the case, they don't give you a lot of views. A 4 valve version would definately put you out ahead of the rest of the pack.
Radar
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 pm
Location: Rochester NY

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Kirley » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Radar wrote:I've seen some Chinese made CC sousaphones pop up on recently, any chance Wessex is planning to offer 1? I see that Schiller has one now but the way the valves look in the pictures there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for your body in there. It may just be the 2 dimensional pictures that are causing me to think that's the case, they don't give you a lot of views. A 4 valve version would definately put you out ahead of the rest of the pack.


I know it’s not a sousaphone but:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86499
Kirley
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Radar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Kirley wrote:
Radar wrote:I've seen some Chinese made CC sousaphones pop up on recently, any chance Wessex is planning to offer 1? I see that Schiller has one now but the way the valves look in the pictures there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for your body in there. It may just be the 2 dimensional pictures that are causing me to think that's the case, they don't give you a lot of views. A 4 valve version would definately put you out ahead of the rest of the pack.


I know it’s not a sousaphone but:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86499" target="_blank


That looks really promising Thanks for sharing the link
Radar
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 pm
Location: Rochester NY

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Steginkt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:42 pm

In all honesty, I would be interested in any rotary helicon. Any instrument that can be held easily and played for long periods of time without aggravating my hand pain is a +1 in my book
Steginkt
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:49 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Voisi1ev » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

Curious, are the traditional 3+1 Eb and Bb horns being discontinued?
User avatar
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:43 am
Location: Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet Sponsors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest