Wessex Tubas - what would you like? Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Mark Finley » Sun May 22, 2016 12:03 pm

Here's another vote for a 3/4 valve BBb Tuba with pistons. I'm not convinced that Jinbao rotors are good to go right out of the box like public school would need for young players. But the quality of the pistons seem good (as long as the threads on the valve caps were good) so there is a market for compact 4 valve instruments. As a teacher, that's one on my biggest frustrations, not being able to start kids on low range studies until their second year because there are no affordable 4 valve small horns on the market.

Either add a 4th valve to a yamaha 103, or base it in the 621 or add a 4th valve to the king 1135 tuba. (also a very nice small horn)

Here's another thought. If you base the design on the 1135, you could easily include an adjustable leadpipe, giving it a mounting point 2 inches above or below "normal"

Band directors would be grateful to you, no more phone books and tuba stands (as least a lot less)
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Michael Bush » Sun May 22, 2016 2:23 pm

58mark wrote:Either add a 4th valve to a yamaha 103,

Tom McGrady already did that. He would have to speak for himself, but my guess as to the reason it disappeared would have to be that sales might have been disappointing.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby DouglasJB » Sun May 22, 2016 5:40 pm

Mark, look at the Eastman 226, seems to be a copy of a 621. Looks to be a good size for middle school students
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Sun May 22, 2016 5:42 pm

DouglasJB wrote:Mark, look at the Eastman 226, seems to be a copy of a 621. Looks to be a good size for middle school students

I played one at TMEA, too out of tune with itself to be something I can recommend to the schools I teach for
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Dan Schultz » Sun May 22, 2016 8:20 pm

58mark wrote:..... I'm not convinced that Jinbao rotors are good to go right out of the box like public school would need for young players. But the quality of the pistons seem good (as long as the threads on the valve caps were good) .....

WOW! This is the first useful statement I've heard from anyone besides myself regarding the Jinbao instruments.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby Wyvern » Mon May 23, 2016 2:45 am

When Wessex started 5 years ago, valve thread on piston valves was a big problem, but a lot of investment has since been done to make improvements in that area and now they are pretty good. We can today check 100 tubas/euphonium at factory without finding a single valve threading issue.

As said previously, until this thread I had heard little of rotary valve problems - and have experienced few ourselves - so that has not been a focus of attention. Now I am aware everything is not always as good as it could be, you can be confident will be sorted and quickly - like next visit to factory in 3 weeks.

I will look into adding front piston student BBb to Wessex range. Have a couple of ideas to investigate. If 3 valves and top action valves are acceptable then the existing TB330 Junior BBb does play amazingly well for a student tuba. I am always impressed with them whenever I play test.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby sweaty » Mon May 23, 2016 4:30 am

I would like to see nickel silver leadpipes. The harder metal gives better responsiveness and dent resistance in a crucial area. Miraphone is doing this.
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Postby Wyvern » Mon May 23, 2016 4:38 am

sweaty wrote:I would like to see nickel silver leadpipes. The harder metal gives better responsiveness and dent resistance in a crucial area. Miraphone is doing this.

Wessex does have some models with nickel lead pipes, but most are of gold brass (84% copper) as I think that warms the tone, as well as being resistant to red rot.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Mark Finley » Mon May 23, 2016 7:28 am

Neptune wrote:.

I will look into adding front piston student BBb to Wessex range. Have a couple of ideas to investigate. If 3 valves and top action valves are acceptable then the existing TB330 Junior BBb does play amazingly well for a student tuba. I am always impressed with them whenever I play test.

3 valve top action tubas are commonplace, more prone to damage, and harder to repair, I'm talking about something different that is not available commonly, a 4 valve front action horn, preferably with an adjustable height leadpipe
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Wyvern » Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 am

58mark wrote:I'm talking about something different that is not available commonly, a 4 valve front action horn, preferably with an adjustable height leadpipe

I fully understand and have idea of how to make. Will discuss with Wessex production manager who is a technical genius :)
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby Three Valves » Mon May 23, 2016 8:06 am

Neptune wrote:I will look into adding front piston student BBb to Wessex range. Have a couple of ideas to investigate. If 3 valves and top action valves are acceptable then the existing TB330 Junior BBb does play amazingly well for a student tuba. I am always impressed with them whenever I play test.

I'm into my second year with mine, the valve threads are flawless and except for the ergonomics I'm quite pleased with it.

Every time I play something that costs three times as much, it gets strangely more comfortable!!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Wyvern » Mon May 23, 2016 8:12 am

Three Valves wrote:except for the ergonomics I'm quite pleased with it.

Out of interest, what don't you like about the ergonomics? I just ask to see if it is something we might improve.

Although of course ergonomics are not something we are ever going to get right for everyone - us all being different sizes
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby Three Valves » Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 am

It's just the top action in general, not specific to the tuba.

Only a matter of preference.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 am

Michael Bush wrote:
58mark wrote:Either add a 4th valve to a yamaha 103,

Tom McGrady already did that. He would have to speak for himself, but my guess as to the reason it disappeared would have to be that sales might have been disappointing.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that horn was a wisemann. If so, there were probably cost and delivery issues with the horn that may have caused him to drop it from his lineup. I never remember even seeing it on his website
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby mannyBD » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:52 am

Personally I would like 2 different piston f tubas and 2 different piston cc tubas

Something like the Yamaha yfb-821, and the Melton 2250

And for the cc a Yamaha Ycb-681, and a 6/4 cc like the yamayork!

Of course I'm not saying to make exact copies but just to give an idea.
Last edited by mannyBD on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mannyBD
lurker
lurker

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 am

...??
I would think that it might be difficult to play all of the chromatic pitches easily and with a good sound with only 2 pistons.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby bort » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:47 am

Ok, it's been long enough.

I'd like you to tell us what you've decided. :)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Wyvern » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:58 am

What I will reveal is that a 6/4 front action BBb is in development, but won't say more until prototype is completed and been approved by its designer - except it will have independent 5th valve.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Postby Casca Grossa » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:19 am

5 valves on all of the travel size tubas.
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:20 pm

A BBb helicon in the mold of Amati/Cerveny. Those horns have 4 rotary valves. I haven't seen a European helicon with piston valves but there are many helicons I have not seen.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet Sponsors