Great to be back on TubeNet!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Great to be back on TubeNet!

Post by MonsterOil »

Absolutely love that we can chat with you guys in the Sponsor section now! We're excited about getting to know you guys and answer any questions you may have about our products. For those of you who don't know much about us:

We make lube. Lots and lots of lube. 4 valve oils, a slide oil (for fast-moving slides), a slide grease (for non-moving slides), polishing cloths, and soon a line of rotor products! We think it's the best stuff on Earth, and we're COMPLETELY non-biased. We are 3 military band musicians who had a bit of free time and decided to start poking around different lubes. We stumbled across something that easily outperformed everything else on the market, so we ran with it.

However, this is all a cover for our addiction to making videos. We have a series of videos called "Brass Chats" where we interview the best brass musicians on Earth, and release them monthly. The link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BrassChats" target="_blank

We've only had one tuba player so far (Mike Roylance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERr70HBFAVc" target="_blank), but hope to have many more in the near future.

Our last video is a new series we started called Stoplight Jazz. First episode was with Randy Brecker. The basic premise is to drive around a famous jazz musician in a convertible and record everything. The results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0k21hF0yM" target="_blank

For the month of July we're running a 4th of July special. Just enter 'lube' at checkout for a 7.4% discount! http://www.MonsterOil.net" target="_blank.

Much love,

The Monsters
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Great to be back on TubeNet!

Post by Ken Crawford »

MonsterOil wrote:
We make lube. Lots and lots of lube. 4 valve oils, a slide oil (for fast-moving slides), a slide grease (for non-moving slides), polishing cloths, and soon a line of rotor products!

Do your 4 valve oils work with instruments that have more or less than 4 valves?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

kmorgancraw wrote:
MonsterOil wrote:
We make lube. Lots and lots of lube. 4 valve oils, a slide oil (for fast-moving slides), a slide grease (for non-moving slides), polishing cloths, and soon a line of rotor products!

Do your 4 valve oils work with instruments that have more or less than 4 valves?
If not, I'm out. :(
tubazach07

Post by tubazach07 »

I use monster oil on my 1934 Martin and my Miraphone 1292. It works great and I couldn't be happier. I needed an oil that wouldn't dry up after playing military ceremonies in 100 degree weather in Florida. Monster oil does the trick.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

kmorgancraw wrote:
MonsterOil wrote:

Unfortunately no. Also the slide grease and slide oil only work for A slides.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

bloke wrote:The oil works.
The art on the bottle alone is worth the price.
The videos are the cherry on top.
Thanks Bloke! We're proud of our cherry. Wait... That didn't come out right...
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

bloke wrote:
ValveSlide wrote:I...at Midwest...
wow...
Thanks for stopping by and saying, "Hello". :roll:
?! What's wrong with you? PM next time or chat off board.
--farah chisham
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

Sooooo confused right now......
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

ValveSlide wrote:
bloke wrote:
ValveSlide wrote:I...at Midwest...
wow...
Thanks for stopping by and saying, "Hello". :roll:
Ha! "I" didn't personally pick it up.

One of the managers brought it back for me. I think the pack was opened and the label art was shown to a band director. They were then tossed because "we don't sell that brand..." :x :lol:
Hmmm...I'm not exactly following this, but are you saying you work at a music store where they saw Monster Oil and threw it away? Normally people don't throw away Monster Oil until they see us in person and get to know us for a couple of minutes.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

Ha! Great find! The guys are gonna flip when they see this.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

What is your slide oil like that you use for a moving first slide? Is it just like thick rotor oil?
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

doublebuzzing wrote:What is your slide oil like that you use for a moving first slide? Is it just like thick rotor oil?
Basically. We designed it for trumpet 1st and 3rd slides, but all our low brass colleagues love it. It cleans, prevents corrosion, makes a nice seal, lasts quite awhile, and allows for pretty fast movement of slides.

We have a policy that if you buy a product and it's the wrong viscosity, we'll give you a different viscosity free of charge - if we don't solve your problem, we'll refund your money and you can keep the oil.

Best,

Tom
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

bloke wrote:Because front-action tubas' upper slides' oil tend to "dump" (vertically, via gravity) into the valve casings, it's really nice if they can be aligned with enough precision (as well as their surfaces being faced nicely enough) so that the oil used on the valves also works nicely on the upper slides...

...but this is rarely the case.

A bloketruth, though is that "perfect" slides work "perfectly" well with very thin (yeah: valve) oil.

Our Slide Oil is really just a thick version of our valve oil - same ingredients. So if some of the Slide Oil slips down to the valves it will mix just fine with our valve oil.

I am curious to hear if any of you have issues with our Slide Oil dripping down - I don't think it would, especially after the initial application.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

MonsterOil wrote:
bloke wrote:Because front-action tubas' upper slides' oil tend to "dump" (vertically, via gravity) into the valve casings, it's really nice if they can be aligned with enough precision (as well as their surfaces being faced nicely enough) so that the oil used on the valves also works nicely on the upper slides...

A bloketruth, though is that "perfect" slides work "perfectly" well with very thin (yeah: valve) oil.

Our Slide Oil is really just a thick version of our valve oil - same ingredients. So if some of the Slide Oil slips down to the valves it will mix just fine with our valve oil.

I am curious to hear if any of you have issues with our Slide Oil dripping down - I don't think it would, especially after the initial application.
I use your slide oil and it does get down into my valves even though I use as little as necessary, and it does gum them up. When it happens I wipe everything down and start over. I'm not suggesting that it's your fault at all, just confirming that it happens. I (like, if I am not mistaken, bloke, as well as quite a few others here) use lamp oil on my valves. Maybe there is something about the way your ingredients react with the lamp oil?
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

Michael Bush wrote:
MonsterOil wrote:

I use your slide oil and it does get down into my valves even though I use as little as necessary, and it does gum them up. When it happens I wipe everything down and start over. I'm not suggesting that it's your fault at all, just confirming that it happens. I (like, if I am not mistaken, bloke, as well as quite a few others here) use lamp oil on my valves. Maybe there is something about the way your ingredients react with the lamp oil?

Sorry to hear this. I wonder if you used a thicker valve oil for your valves AND your slide if both would be good. Maybe Original or even Smoother (depending on your valve tolerance). Of course, as a customer, we'll be glad to send you any of these free of charge to see if it might work. Let me know if you're interested.

Best,

Tom
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

MonsterOil wrote: Sorry to hear this. I wonder if you used a thicker valve oil for your valves AND your slide if both would be good. Maybe Original or even Smoother (depending on your valve tolerance). Of course, as a customer, we'll be glad to send you any of these free of charge to see if it might work. Let me know if you're interested.
That's generous of you. But this is just something I expect slide oil to do. I don't see it as a problem with your product at all. I'm a perfectly satisfied customer.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

dgpretzel wrote:Might anyone explain the difference between the original Monster oil and the new synthetic oil. I mean does the synthetic last longer? Is it slippier? When would one be preferred over the other?

DG

P.S. Is rotor oil still a coming product?

By the new synthetic oil, I think you're talking about "Doc's Juice" - Doc Severinsen's signature oil. Both products are synthetic. They both last a long time. Doc's Juice was remade from the ground up for Doc - it's getting rave reviews from everybody who's used it. Doc is downright giddy over it - and he's funny when he's giddy!

The viscosity on Doc's Juice is the thinnest of our entire line. It's primarily for horns with very tight tolerances, but works great on just about anything.

And, as always, if you buy a bottle and then realize you need a different viscosity, we'll send you one free of charge.

Rotor oil - ugh...it's been a long journey. We have: Heavy Rotor Oil, Lite Rotor Oil, and Bearing/Linkage oil all ready to go. It always comes down to packaging. We have a brand new applicator tip that is unlike anything on the market (i.e. you won't need to carry it in a plastic bag). We're in the final testing phase of this new tip and will release soon. How soon? Hopefully by the end of the month, but we thought we were going to release this last year, so there's that....

Best,

Tom