Valve Oil Desires

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Valve Oil Desires

Post by MonsterOil »

We are so excited to be back on TubeNet and have the opportunity to talk with you guys about what we do.

Let's start the conversation:

Our goal is to make the best products in the world for every situation. Lofty goal, but we're the optimistic types.

What we want to know is what are you guys looking for in lube? And we LOVE blunt honesty. We want to improve our lineup in every way and that means we want to hear every criticism, no matter how harsh.

I know Bloke could really care less about valve oil. Several others have expressed the exact opposite - having found only one or two products that are worth anything.

What are your thoughts?

Much love,

Monsters
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Valve Oil Desires

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

Is it possible to make a synthetic valve oil that doesn't get the sludge like Hetman's does? I only ask because my understanding is that your product is synthetic.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Stuff for rotary valves...?
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

Rivercity Tuba wrote:Is it possible to make a synthetic valve oil that doesn't get the sludge like Hetman's does? I only ask because my understanding is that your product is synthetic.
Synthetic is a REALLY vague word in the oil field. Our oil doesn't sludge up because it's extremely clean, since it's synthesized from natural gas. It's the same as motor oil. Be wary of the word synthetic as it can mean very different things.

Never had any complaints of sludge with our products and if anybody has any problems we want to know so we can fix it.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

bloke wrote:Don't sell yourself short on my account.
- There are oils that I will not use.
- Monster Oil is in the plus column. It works.
- I'm a nobody.
- Quantity of posts do not make me a somebody.
Didn't mention you because of quantity - could care less about that stuff. Mentioned you because of the tremendous respect you have from this community which is a result of your integrity and expertise.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

bort wrote:Stuff for rotary valves...?
Oh so close. We're in the final testing phase now.
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

Maybe I'm dreaming, but a hybrid oil for rotary and piston? I only say so because I'm seeing lots of piston valved tubas with an added rotary valve. Just a thought.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

tyrell1111 wrote:Maybe I'm dreaming, but a hybrid oil for rotary and piston? I only say so because I'm seeing lots of piston valved tubas with an added rotary valve. Just a thought.

Hmmm...this just might work. The only thing is that the pistons and rotary valve should both be built such that they require the same oil. If this were the case then this would be no problem.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

the elephant wrote:A 16 or 20 ounce stainless-steel-needled "oiler bottle" would be great to have on the brass bench in my shop. So would a large tub of your grease, say of 8 to 12 ounces.

I burn through your tiny grease tubs in no time flat, and that is very costly that way. Shop-sized portions sold at a lower "bulk rate" cost (with a lower cost to you in bottle/tub materials) would be great.

No, I do not want to buy another ten bottle box. I want a large "bench oiler" NEEDLE bottle that does not leak (unlike those craptastic ones from Ferree's Tools) with a fine needle about three inches in length.

THAT would make me smile. It would also make me leave some coin in your web store.

Oh, and I play the freaking tuba, guys. I wear a 4X shirt. That is four freaking X's. Four. This is not all that uncommon in the tuba world, in case you did not notice. Many of us, while being rather aerodynamically shaped, are not what one would describe as being "svelte." I would gladly plaster your logo on my billboard-sized torso if you would sell shirts that both fit *and* that do not shrink or have stitching that comes undone after five washings. No cheap crap. Get good shirts of heavy 100% cotton and offer them in WHITE or BLACK, too, since RED BLEEDS LIKE A STUCK PIG when washed, and will do so for many washings. Bright red looks great, but it does not look great ON, if you get my drift. If you offer better quality shirts, in more sizes and in black or white you can charge enough to cover the costs. I would pay a lot more than $11.99 for a *good* shirt. My tee shirts are all $25 a pop where I have to shop. I can get 4X teeshirts at Walmart, but they suck and I do not like wearing them. They end up as tuba polishing rags or "work shirts" that never leave the house or backyard. A fat lot of good your logo does if no one sees it. Right? Good shirts, despite the price, kept in stock in small numbers or ordered from a really excellent "on demand" place will sell, even if you have to raise the price. Quality sells. Period. People who love logo products will buy them at a higher price. People who do not like logo apparel won't buy them at *any* price, so they are not who you are selling Monster Oil swag to, anyway.

I like the products of yours that I have been using and will be purchasing more soon. But real oiler bottles that contain a workbench-sized portion of your products, a much larger, workbench-sized container of your grease, AND YOUR GREAT LOGO ON GREAT SHIRTS that I would actually wear without the logo on them would be one of those "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" things.

Good luck to you guys. This is not the easiest product line to market and sell. You seem to be doing a great job so far, though. Keep up the good work. Your willingness to actively seek out feedback from your customers makes you the Ben and Jerry of brass instrument lube. (Take that however you will.)

Cheers!

Wade

Ha! My favorite post of all time.

First off, we do have 8 oz bottles, 1 inch needle applicators, and 4-oz tubs of grease. Just let me know what you need.

OK, the t-shirt paragraph actually has me clapping in admiration while I'm sitting here. If you literally PLASTER our logo across your torso and send us a pic of it, we'll give you $100. Can't believe we didn't think of that sooner. Ultra high quality t-shirts get expensive quick - you have any go-to on-demand places? I can't find any. Higher minimums get lower costs.
Which slogans would you be most likely to buy?

This isn't your grandmother's lube
Lube your life
I'd rather slather
Let there be lube
Lube me up Scotty
Lube I am your father
There is no I in lube
It's not over til the fat lady lubes

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

Tom
davidgilbreath
bugler
bugler
Location: My Old Kentucky Home in Marietta, GA (or little England way beyond Wales)

Post by davidgilbreath »

Which slogans would you be most likely to buy?

This isn't your grandmother's lube
Lube your life
I'd rather slather
Let there be lube
Lube me up Scotty
Lube I am your father
There is no I in lube
It's not over til the fat lady lubes

Here are three that occurred to me that might be middle school/high school safe (36 year teaching vet):

WD-40 it ain't
None sold to minors
Use under adult supervision

David Gilbreath
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Live to Lube,
Lube to live!!

Gas, Grass or ***.
No one lubes for free!!
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Lubin' in America!
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
davidgilbreath
bugler
bugler
Location: My Old Kentucky Home in Marietta, GA (or little England way beyond Wales)

Post by davidgilbreath »

T. J. Ricer wrote:Image

Lubin' in America!
+1
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

T. J. Ricer wrote:Image

Lubin' in America!

Ha! Love this! With an American flagged logo!
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

Three Valves wrote:Live to Lube,
Lube to live!!

Gas, Grass or ***.
No one lubes for free!!

Hmmm...trying to figure out what "***" stands for. Looks like you're going for alliteration - so maybe gap? Or goo? Gum? Gel?

Totally stumped here
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Post by Dubby »

I would buy any and all of those options for a shirt. +1 for the rotary oil as well
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

Having a hard time pricing shirts. What do you guys think is a fair price for a high quality logo shirt?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

MonsterOil wrote:Having a hard time pricing shirts. What do you guys think is a fair price for a high quality logo shirt?
Here's a good example, I think. High quality shirt. Excellent, admirable logo. Priced about $10-15 above the cheapest available, and around $5 below the highest price for something similar that I see.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

MonsterOil wrote:Having a hard time pricing shirts. What do you guys think is a fair price for a high quality logo shirt?
$20

"Lube me once, shame on you"

"Lube me twice, shame on me!!"
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

MonsterOil wrote:
bort wrote:Stuff for rotary valves...?
Oh so close. We're in the final testing phase now.
yesssssssss cant wait for the rotary stuff, hopefully you guys have different viscosities for newer vs older horns. But im mostly just happy that theres more rotary valve oils coming because Hetman oils as nice as they are dont seem to last long at all in my Alexanders. Id happily offer myself as a beta-tester btw :D