Igor Martinez visits Wessex Tubas to make videos

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Igor Martinez visits Wessex Tubas to make videos

Post by Wyvern »

Igor Martinez visited Wessex Tubas on Sunday and spent all day play testing the range and recording demonstration videos. I recorded so much that my 128Gb iPhone ran out of space! So it will take a while to go through, edit and upload - but most of the tubas and euphonium (and bell front baritone) in the range were recorded.

Igor gave me comments on each tuba as he played which were very interesting. Here are a few;

The EP100 Dolce euphonium he really could not fault - his comment was 'perfect' with much easier and in tune high register than most euphonium. He bought a Dolce for himself.

The new front action EP104 Festivo euphonium prototype he commented had more resistance in its present form (Wessex are modifying). He thought trombone doublers would like, but not so much existing euphonium players.

The front bell baritone sounded good in his hands and the projection was noticeably more than the bell up euphonium. He thought would be good in a jazz situation.

Moving onto tubas we went firstly through Eb's. Igor preferred the 16½" bell Solo compensated Eb over the 19" bell version. Sound was more focused he felt which actually makes it project more. Igor bought a Solo Eb.

Trying the new front action TE465 Gnagey Eb he found it played even better than the Solo. His only criticism was he did not like the ergonomics - he found it rather a reach to the valves.

The new TE495 rotary Danube he found played well, but with a different sound from the piston Eb's. He thought its sound was half way to an F tuba.

Moving onto C tubas, the one that Igor loved was the new TC590 Wyvern. He said the perfect balance between focus and breath of tone. For me listening the Wyvern stood out tonally against all the other tubas. My perfect tuba tone - hearing Igor play had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I will be amazed if this tuba is not used to win a major audition in the near future. I know people will think I am up-playing to sell, but I genuinely think the Wyvern is really special! I know it is the tuba I will now mostly be playing. Needless to say Igor bought a Wyvern for himself.

The new rotary Anton C tuba he thought sounded and played rather like the Thein his colleague in the Simon Bolivar Orchestra plays.

Onto BBb's, the surprise (to me) favourite was the TB576 XL tuba. Igor thought that the perfect tuba to play Russian repertoire, particularly Tchaikovsky or Prokofiev with easier legato than any other tuba across wide range. Other BBb's he though had better low register, but the XL the most even across the whole range. He said he much preferred the XL to the Fafner owned by his orchestra (another surprise!).

Trying the two F tuba, the Strauss and the Berg. The Strauss he found had the biggest tone and would make great orchestral F tuba. The Berg he felt sounded more soloistic, although could also be used in the orchestra.

I will post the videos as soon as I can, as I know many people are keen to hear.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Thanks for including BR115!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Impressive warehouse, look forward to hearing...
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

In regard to the wyvern being used to win a major orchestral audition, the same sentiment has been expressed about the PT6 clone. I guess the race is on.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I saw one video on Facebook, nice effect.

More??
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Yes, please! Any word on when the rest of the sound clips will be posted?