Cleaning Kit Fantasies?

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Cleaning Kit Fantasies?

Post by MonsterOil »

So our trumpet cleaning kit has easily been our biggest seller since we released it. We wanna do one for you guys. What should we put in it?

Valve oil, slide grease, polishing cloth, cleaning instructions, pencil, suction cup Monster, fingering chart, and resealable plastic bag are definites. We also have a pretty good mouthpiece brush. What else do you guys need?

Love,

Monsters
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Re: Cleaning Kit Fantasies?

Post by MonsterOil »

ValveSlide wrote:A decent large diameter, stiff bristle cleaning snake brush of adequate length.

Figured we would need a snake. Do you guys need a separate valve casing brush, like trumpets?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

MonsterOil wrote:
ValveSlide wrote:A decent large diameter, stiff bristle cleaning snake brush of adequate length.

Figured we would need a snake. Do you guys need a separate valve casing brush, like trumpets?
Yes. And may I emphasize (in the case of the snake) "stiff bristle"?
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Please invent something that can go into a valve cylinder and then make a sharp turn to the connectors between the other cylinders. These short connectors are among the slimiest of areas and are also one of the most difficult to clean.

I would buy the kit just to have such a device.

Hup
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

MonsterOil wrote:

It would be great if the snake had a plastic coating and if the valve casing brush would have an extended handle so it is easy to use without banging one's hand on the casing (I do that way too often).
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

HW Brass Saver for tuba has been out for quite some time. These are very good with no exposed metal parts. Long snake (curlicue design) and valve casing brush. I've used these -- the baritone and trombone set -- for many years.

https://www.amazon.com/Products-UBSTU-B ... B0002I9QQO
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

What is a suction cup monster?!
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bort wrote:What is a suction cup monster?!
This, I figure:
Monster.jpg
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Well, you sure can't clean effectively without one of those :P
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

ValveSlide wrote: A trumpet casing brush with the last 1/2" or so of it bent at 90º works well for this.
My casing brushes have plastic shafts. Is there one made with a bendable shaft?

Hup
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

ValveSlide wrote:
hup_d_dup wrote:
ValveSlide wrote: A trumpet casing brush with the last 1/2" or so of it bent at 90º works well for this.
My casing brushes have plastic shafts. Is there one made with a bendable shaft?

Hup
Yes, Yamaha makes one (as do several others). Looks like a large, cylindrical mpc brush.

http://www.wwbw.com/Yamaha-Valve-Casing ... 41355.wwbw

So you guys want this thing (link above) with the last 1/2" bent 90 degrees? And this would serve as your only valve casing brush?
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

I wouldn't want a brush with an exposed metal tip like in the image linked above.
MonsterOil
bugler
bugler

Post by MonsterOil »

Decent snake...hmmm....

This one any good?

http://www.koelblmusic.com/mitem-32-en.xhtml" target="_blank" target="_blank

Or this one?

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/band-orche ... _3412.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

MonsterOil wrote:Decent snake...hmmm....

This one any good?

http://www.koelblmusic.com/mitem-32-en.xhtml" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Or this one?

http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/band-orche ... _3412.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
The second one is no good. I've had one. The bristles are too few and too soft. The one at the first link looks promising. If you were to become an American dealer for that, or get a similar one made, it could be good. The picture shows that there are enough bristles. Getting the right stiffness would be the question. Stiff enough to work, but not so stiff they scratch the tubing and mess up the smoothness of slide action.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

MonsterOil wrote: So you guys want this thing (link above) with the last 1/2" bent 90 degrees? And this would serve as your only valve casing brush?
The bendable brush mentioned by ValveSlide sounds promising. However, I suspect an original tool designed for this purpose could be superior to another which has been adapted as an afterthought.

I would consider something like this a standard and separate cleaning tool in its own right . . . not substitute for a regular casing brush.

Hup