New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

Post by Wyvern »

I am proud and delighted to give you first glimpse of Wessex biggest tuba to date - our new 6/4 'Grand' BBb tuba developed in collaboration with Chuck Nickles of the US Army Band, Europe.

The concept for the tuba was to produce a modern BBb design "Made to feel like the 6/4 CC tubas but with the extra beef of BBb" It is similar size to a Holton or York 6/4, but with the quirks of those period tubas ironed out to make what may be the ultimate American BBb BAT. Bore is 0.75" valves 1-4 and it has 20" bell - and is fitted with independent 5th valve using Wessex Z valve.

The sound of the prototype is awesome and intonation pretty good - not much slide pulling will be required with this tuba. We will be having the prototype evaluated by some noted professionals before production, so this won't be available to purchase for at least one year, but we plan to have prototype available to try at NAMM in January, US Army Workshop in February and Frankfurt Musikmesse in April 2017.

I can't yet give you price it will be sold, but aim to make it the most affordable 6/4 available.

Personally I think I need to brush up on my BBb reading to be able to play one myself :D
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

Post by DouglasJB »

This would look great in Satin Silver
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

The prototype looks cool. The bugle resembles the old top action Holton. One other modern 6/4 BBb based on that model is said to be very good.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Please don't use a rubber band to work the fifth valve. ;)
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Is the 4th v also .750? What bore is the 5th v rotor?
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Yep. I'll take one. Satin Silver, gold in the bell. Tuning jigger on main slide, please.
Mark

Post by Mark »

tclements wrote:Yep. I'll take one. Satin Silver, gold in the bell. Tuning jigger on main slide, please.
Yes, that too please.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Cut it to CC?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Mark wrote:Please don't use a rubber band to work the fifth valve. ;)
Don't worry - no rubber band!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

KiltieTuba wrote:
bisontuba wrote:Is the 4th v also .750? What bore is the 5th v rotor?
If it's anything like the Holton 345, it will have larger tubing in the fourth valve, but the valve itself will only be .750".
To clarify, the bore of 4th valve is 0.787" (20mm) (that includes the valve itself) and for 5th valve 0.866" (22mm).

Another dimension for you is the height is 37.5" (950mm)
hduong
bugler
bugler

Post by hduong »

Wessex is going to be at NAMM?

Just curious as to what line of horns you are going to be bringing along, especially interested in what CC Tubas and Trombones are being brought.

Hopefully I'll get out of my meetings and have enough time to stop by and check your horns out.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

hduong wrote:Wessex is going to be at NAMM?

Just curious as to what line of horns you are going to be bringing along, especially interested in what CC Tubas and Trombones are being brought.

Hopefully I'll get out of my meetings and have enough time to stop by and check your horns out.
We will have the TC590 Wyvern CC and possibly TC491 Anton rotary CC. For trombones, the PBF555 Bb/F duel large bore tenor and PB4501 small bore Bb.

Everything exhibited will be Wessex exclusive models
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

What is the "Z" valve? I found some info you've posted on dwerden but I am not sure I understand exactly. Just an easily-removed rotor valve?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

arpthark wrote:What is the "Z" valve? I found some info you've posted on dwerden but I am not sure I understand exactly. Just an easily-removed rotor valve?
The whole rotary valve will lift out the top for cleaning/maintenance and for absolute precise alignment. No relying on lines scribed on the back plate.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Shut up and take my money!
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Holy smokes I want one! That looks awesome just like that! Though satin silver would look fabulous....
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The prototype new Grand 6/4 BBb now silver plated being play tested by myself and about to leave factory for further evaluation.

In the larger space of the assembly hall it sounded even better. I found intonation as good as the Wyvern and it is easy to play with easy slotting and is no air hog

In pictures is also a new TB575 Luzern 5/4 for size comparison.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Yeah, ditch the tacky gold trim. Otherwise, looks very nice. Definitely a big asss tuba!
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

That's a BAT alright. If I were in the BBb market and needing something so big on a budget, I'd certainly be tempted to try it.

Good looking horn, Jonathan.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The gold trim is mainly to be eye catching for exhibiting use. The production tuba will as standard be all silver and also be available lacquered with gold brass bell and raw brass.

Gold trim seems to be something some people love and others hate. On Euphonium it is the most popular finish.

I think Dan's comment is tongue in cheek. The greatest 6/4 in the world are 0.75" bore. It is the big bottom bow and bell throat that give the BAT tuba its awesome tone.
Last edited by Wyvern on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.