Re: New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

Postby Doc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:30 pm

When do we get to hear sound samples?
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Wyvern » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Doc wrote:When do we get to hear sound samples?

Not until the design is finalised and signed off later this year.

Although I always wonder the worth of such sound samples, as they as much demonstrate the tone/virtuosity of the musician playing and the acoustics of the room, as they do the tuba being demonstrated. A back to back comparison against another known horn in same venue, played by same musician might provide a better demonstration of the new tuba
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby bort » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 pm

For me, it's as much about proof of playability as it is the sound itself. Yeah, it's big and shiny... But does it work, work easily, need slide pulling... You can tell a lot watching a video of someone playing the tuba.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby kmorgancraw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Demo videos are fun but don't really demonstrate much of anything in terms of what you'll get out of the horn in question.
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Doc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:42 pm

I think it can give you a general overview of the instrument, personal playing characteristics and individual instrument traits not withstanding. It's not anything like a trial in person, but it can give you a general idea if it's something you might actually want to try in person. Unless one arrives in the area, or I can justify the money to simply fly somewhere and try one, sound clips, videos, and real-world reviews are the next best thing.

And, of course, I am a total tuba junkie, so the more good quality tuba sound clips/videos to which I can listen/watch, the better.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby LCTuba89 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:36 pm

GC wrote:Getting the weight toward the player is great, especially considering how many big horns seem to simply pile tubing way out front. One thing I've noticed in comparing the pictures of the big CC and BBb horns, though, is that the weight seems much lower down on the CC. The tubing and bows on the BBb seem much higher up with a definite gap lower down.

I've noticed that as well. It seems like the CC variant wraps the tubing more tightly than the BBb version. Which would also effectively lower the leadpipe making it easier to play without a stand. Obviously one could have the leadpipe lowered on the BBb version but then there's still the issue of the tuning slides being too far up. The CC's slides are positioned perfectly for going under the top bow and pulling. The BBb's slides are positioned much like the BMB J-764/765 which forces you to go over the top of the horn to get the slides.

My only real complaint with my BMB BAT is the valve section position, but then that might affect the way the horn responds so I'd rather not screw with it. I can live with using a stand as my legs get worn out pretty quick by the weight of the horn.
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Postby Tabor » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:28 am

I have read here that the the Wessex grand BBb and the big CC are different and different brass thicknesses. Are they using the same size ferrules? Could someone theoretically choose a lighter and a heavier bell for their horn, or buy both?
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Postby kmorgancraw » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Tabor wrote:I have read here that the the Wessex grand BBb and the big CC are different and different brass thicknesses. Are they using the same size ferrules? Could someone theoretically choose a lighter and a heavier bell for their horn, or buy both?

The BBb has larger bows according to Chuck Nickles, may not be able to interchange bells.
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Postby WagnerRing » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Beautiful horn. What's the estimate for availability on the BBb and CC 6/4 tubas?
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Postby Wyvern » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 pm

WagnerRing wrote:Beautiful horn. What's the estimate for availability on the BBb and CC 6/4 tubas?

The first batch of both are expected March 2018. They will be on website and we will start taking pre-orders from late October.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Previous

Return to TubeNet Sponsors