New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: New Wessex 'Grand' 6/4 BBb tuba

Post by Wyvern »

kmorgancraw wrote:Any chance this horn, or others in the line up may eventually be available in a premium, handmade form like other tubas that are either "production" or "handmade?"
You are talking of like Meinl-Weston who offer some tubas in production, or handmade versions. That is something I need to discuss with factory...so can't say at this time
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Wyvern wrote:
58mark wrote:I don't know of the procedure for satin, but if it's what I think it is, wouldn't it make more sense to get a silver tuba and have it blasted?
I am sure one of the techs can explain the process, but remember something about base coat of copper plating
It's been explained to me that the surface to be satin finished is bead blasted and then plated. It could be done at the factory if the factory had the facilities. I would think that if a buyer wanted satin finish and it could not be provided by the factory, getting a horn in raw brass then having it bead blasted and plated would be the way to go. Bead blasting would ruin the original polished silver finish and, to do the plating, a lacquer finish would need to be removed. The bead blasting would remove some of the lacquer but, in bead blasting, areas where a polished silver finish is desired (like the bow guards), the lacquer would need to be removed and masked off before bead blasting. Easier to get it in raw brass.

Or just accept a factory finish. Labor and plating ain't cheap.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Doc wrote:When do we get to hear sound samples?
Not until the design is finalised and signed off later this year.

Although I always wonder the worth of such sound samples, as they as much demonstrate the tone/virtuosity of the musician playing and the acoustics of the room, as they do the tuba being demonstrated. A back to back comparison against another known horn in same venue, played by same musician might provide a better demonstration of the new tuba
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

For me, it's as much about proof of playability as it is the sound itself. Yeah, it's big and shiny... But does it work, work easily, need slide pulling... You can tell a lot watching a video of someone playing the tuba.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Demo videos are fun but don't really demonstrate much of anything in terms of what you'll get out of the horn in question.
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

GC wrote:Getting the weight toward the player is great, especially considering how many big horns seem to simply pile tubing way out front. One thing I've noticed in comparing the pictures of the big CC and BBb horns, though, is that the weight seems much lower down on the CC. The tubing and bows on the BBb seem much higher up with a definite gap lower down.
I've noticed that as well. It seems like the CC variant wraps the tubing more tightly than the BBb version. Which would also effectively lower the leadpipe making it easier to play without a stand. Obviously one could have the leadpipe lowered on the BBb version but then there's still the issue of the tuning slides being too far up. The CC's slides are positioned perfectly for going under the top bow and pulling. The BBb's slides are positioned much like the BMB J-764/765 which forces you to go over the top of the horn to get the slides.

My only real complaint with my BMB BAT is the valve section position, but then that might affect the way the horn responds so I'd rather not screw with it. I can live with using a stand as my legs get worn out pretty quick by the weight of the horn.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

I have read here that the the Wessex grand BBb and the big CC are different and different brass thicknesses. Are they using the same size ferrules? Could someone theoretically choose a lighter and a heavier bell for their horn, or buy both?
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Tabor wrote:I have read here that the the Wessex grand BBb and the big CC are different and different brass thicknesses. Are they using the same size ferrules? Could someone theoretically choose a lighter and a heavier bell for their horn, or buy both?
The BBb has larger bows according to Chuck Nickles, may not be able to interchange bells.
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Beautiful horn. What's the estimate for availability on the BBb and CC 6/4 tubas?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

WagnerRing wrote:Beautiful horn. What's the estimate for availability on the BBb and CC 6/4 tubas?
The first batch of both are expected March 2018. They will be on website and we will start taking pre-orders from late October.