JP gold brass F tubas at Mid-South Music, Inc. Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

JP gold brass F tubas at Mid-South Music, Inc.

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:18 pm

In spite of the fact that we still do not have our website going - and all that's up on the web is a silly little facebook page - we're selling more and more of these (absolutely professional grade) John Packer model JP379FF gold brass and nickel silver (no nickel-plated brass) F tubas with large genuine (large) Minibal links, butter-smooth ultra-fit rotors, and no "clanking".

These are ~not~ "your father's Chinese-made F tubas", as those who own them (like me) will tell you.

Being made in a factory in China that builds equivalent-to-German-quality instruments, they cost a bit more than the consumer-grade Chinese instruments, but ...well... our not-able-to-publicly-advertise pricing pulls them down a bit closer to the pricing of the others.

...intonation, low range, SOUND :shock:

If you've seen-or-purchased used instruments that we've sold in the "For Sale By Owner" forum, you already know that we do not over-represent.
~ Do I still use my built-in-1982 smaller-bore-sizes B&S F tuba?
...yes.
~ Do I now also use my John Packer F tuba?
...yes.
~ When do I use the JP F tuba?
...when I want something with a bit more powerful sound, and more "contrabass"-sounding low range, a tuba capable of a few more decibels, but YET with nearly identical fingering and intonation tendencies (i.e. no learning curve) as my 1982 smaller-bores instrument.
~ What if I only had the JP F tuba?
...Two F tubas is definitely a "luxury", but either F tuba is a great instrument. The pricing of the JP afforded me this luxury.

As a vendor/retailer, I'm lazy. I don't like to sell stuff that has to be "sold". I only like to sell stuff that people are asking to buy...the priced-right/great-condition used instruments that I've offered here, the mouthpieces, and (absolutely) new instruments such as this one.

Really, this is the first time that I've blatantly "advertised" these tubas.
John Packer offers other great instruments as well. I probably won't ever carry ~all~ of their instruments. When I had a "brick-and-mortar" store for several decades, I cherry-picked manufacturers' instruments in the same way...but - besides this, there are some other great tubas, Packer/Sterling euphoniums, Packer/Rath trombones, great marching brass, some amazing saxophones, a darn-good (upper-intermediate grade WOOD, priced lower than established-makes' plastic/beginner instruments) Bb clarinet, an astonishingly fine scale low C (like Selmer, Paris, except plastic..even with the tune-able neck) bass clarinet, a very decent English horn, a kick-butt alto trombone, and quite a few other instruments (as this paragraph is getting too long).

Bit-by-bit, Allied Supply Corporation (parts jobber) is carrying more-and-more John Packer repair/replacement parts, which bolsters JP's American market legitimacy a great deal.

Anyway, we just sold this F tuba (pictured) locally. The middle-aged professional player (retired military tuba player) brought in his eastern-German-made F tuba, played his/this one back-to-back, and (after about a minute) said, "get me one". For the sake of convenience, he's leaving his other one in his studio (for teaching) but using this new JP F tuba for rehearsals and performances. Every once in a while, there are have-been-to-shows demonstrator instruments (This one had been to Midwest), which we can sell at even lower prices than our not-allowed-to-be-advertised prices.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: JP gold brass F tubas at Mid-South Music, Inc.

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:49 pm

I want this!!! Alas I am broke.
Casca Grossa
3 valves
3 valves

Postby sousaphonehero » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Is there any possibility of JP coming out with a piston F tuba?
sousaphonehero
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:50 am

Or the 3/4 379b in BBb with pistons??
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Typically, I would look at Chinese tubas with (stainless steel) pistons first...

...but I would encourage you to check out the rotors and linkage on the John Packer instruments (equal tolerances, finish, and feel to German quality with genuine large Minibal links) at TMEA or at the Army Conference. These are not hastily-fit consumer-grade rotors, and nor is the linkage rattly/clicky consumer-grade linkage.

As always, if you see anything you would like to take off a showroom floor, call me, hand the phone to Rob (super-tall gentle-spoken Englishman manning the booth - one of the owners of JP), he and I will have a pow-wow, I'll give you a price that will make you smile, you'll probably say "yes", I'll email you a secure link to pay, you'll fill in the blanks and submit payment, an email will be automatically sent to me telling me that you paid, I'll let Rob know it's yours, and off you'll go with it.

:arrow: (If you don't have my phone numbers, Rob does.) :wink:
bloke

Postby bloke » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 pm

The IRIS Orchestra has two "official" bass trombonists, John Rojak, and Chris Beaudry - both: wonderful musicians. John does a lot of things (American Brass Quintet, NYU, etc., etc., etc...), so fortunately Chris Beaudry is usually available to play when John has a conflict, and visa-versa.

This week, its my privilege - again - to work with John. As a non-published encore (in a river-themed concert) we're playing the Blue Danube Waltz. The first time through, I used my big tuba. ...not as much definition on the downbeats as I would like (it's only scored for bass trombone and tuba - no tenor trombones), but I still wanted some "size" to the sound...so I brought in my John Packer F tuba. It's perfect ! :tuba:

<somewhat interesting sidebar>
Both John and Chris play DEPENDENT-system not-"gigantic-cannons" bass trombones. :shock:
</somewhat interesting sidebar>
bloke

Postby Eflatdoubler » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:03 am

I just tried this horn at TMEA and all I can say is Wow! There was one at JP and another at another vendor. Both played the same and had rock solid pitch and ease of low register including a low f#! I am a trombone doubler who has played CC and most recently EE flat for a while but this FF tuba is pretty amazing in sound, evenness and ease of response and pitch. The linkage and paddles work great!!
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:34 am

So, what is the tuba that made you decide to sell your Thor? Also a John Packer?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm

hmm...
I guess I should have locked this one as well. :roll: :lol:

What kind of car is your horn?

bloke "I own several tubas."
bloke

Return to TubeNet Sponsors