repairs Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

repairs

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I get quite a few repair inquires. - thank-you !

We're not an overhaul shop...
I do "everything" (including any required finish work)...
...and I'm not 25 years old...anymore. :roll:

I'm pretty good at removing serious dents...without replacing parts, and (often - as has been seen here) without removing parts.

This Miraphone 186 bottom bow (pictured below) had a serious dent in the worst possible place - small side: right on the cap. (The person from whom we purchased it did not pack it according to our instructions.) Often, I can remove dents like this without removing bottom bows, but this 186 is from the handmade era, and sports a huge standing seam around the circumference of the bottom bow (hidden by the cap) - which interferes a great deal with dent removal...
...so I did have to remove the bow, but (as can be seen) not the cap itself. You might also notice that the lacquer is not burned.

I'm willing to do some repairs for some customers - time permitting, if...
- you don't expect me to try to round up difficult-to-acquire or time-consuming-to-acquire parts.
- you don't ship your instrument (yes, this means you would bring it) to me, or expect me to ship an instrument back to you.
- whatever you would like done can be done by me in one day (no "epic projects"...The only "epic projects" done here are on bloke-owned instruments).

Mostly, we're (Mrs. bloke - a superb woodwind-fixer, and I) into sales of instruments - more so than repairs. We do service local school systems' instruments (when asked to do so), but that's because we've done that "forever" (since the late 1970's), and business sense tells us to (if at all possible) "dance with who brung ya'." (In the past, in our old brick-and-mortar - again with no employees - we rented out c. 1500 instruments each year to parents of school children...but no longer.)

This Miraphone 186 is ready to reassemble and the buyer (five hours away) will drive up and (hopefully: liking it very much) buy it.

Repairs-wise, I also have to work around subscription concerts (various per service orchestras - as everything, now, is "out of town" from blokeplace), other regular jobs (ex: my Saturday morning lounge job on the big sternwheeler - as passengers are boarding to head to NOLA), the Ole Miss faculty brass quintet, various "church" gigs, German band gigs, and (well...) weird gigs. Admittedly, I tend to enjoy "sitting in clean clothes playing tubas for money" over "standing in filthy clothes, perspiring, and beating-on-and/or-polishing tubas for money"...but I actually do ~like~ working on tubas as well...

...so yes, (and thanks for the p.m.'s, etc.) I appreciate the inquiries very much, and can do some repairs for some folks. 8)

bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Re: repairs

Postby Rivercity Tuba » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Nice
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Lee Stofer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 am

Mr. Bloke,
For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would not wish to spend inordinate amounts of time locating obsolete parts (or fabricating them), taking on very long, difficult and hair-pulling full restoration projects, and spending many long hours a day in the midst of burnt lacquer, solder flux fumes, a hint of acetylene in the air, not to mention your own sweat and buffing compound, and being on your feet 10-12 hours a day in dirty work clothes and steel-toe work boots. . . . .
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Dan Schultz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:41 am

It's after 9am and I haven't even been burned or cut yet. ...and folks wonder why I'm grumpy some days!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Bohm & Meinl helicon, Marzan BBb 'slant-rotor', King 2341, Alphorn, BBb cimbasso, etc.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby windshieldbug » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:20 am

Dan Schultz wrote:folks wonder why I'm grumpy some days

I thought that was just your natural sweet disposition! :P
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Return to TubeNet Sponsors