Instruments in Process at Lee Stofer Music Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Instruments in Process at Lee Stofer Music

Postby Lee Stofer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 pm

It's Spring, and we're busy looking through instruments, some of which I'd virtually forgotten were here, and making a plan for the shop's summer workload. We do plan to refurbish and sell a number of shop-owned instruments this year, in addition to our normal repair workload and finishing serial # 0003 and # 0004 of my Stofer CC tuba. Below is a partial listing of the instruments here, waiting to be repaired and given a new home and player. The first such instrument for the year is on the bench now, a 1953 vintage Conn 20J which will be a clean and dent-free player in a matter of hours. This Conn has been in the loft, lacking a bell for some time now. Last Friday, I discovered that I have a new Conn bell tenon, and a Meinl-Weston model 25 bell that lacks a body, so I cut and fit the bell and installed the tenon. The large throat is a great match, and the tuba will be rather agile in response with a 17 3/4" bell diameter. I am planning to play it at rehearsal Wednesday evening. If interested in a fine Conn at a very affordable price, feel free to contact me about this.

Instruments Waiting for Repair and Resale
- Lignatone (Cerveny) 4-rotor large-bore BBb helicon
- Leningrad (prehistoric St. Pete) BBb tuba
- Carl Wunderlich 4-rotor Eb tuba, originally with 2-3 combination 4th valve, but also with extra slide to make it a conventional 4th.
- Ultra-rare Besson silver BBb helicon
- WWI-vintage Holton, Chicago 6/4 BBb helicon
- 1926 Keefer silver Eb sousaphone
- 1920's silver Holton Eb sousaphone w/original case
- Olds O-99 3/4 BBb tuba
- King 1140 3/4 BBb tuba
- Conn 10J 3/4 BBb tuba
- C.A. Wunderlich 3-rotor BBb helicon
- Lyon & Healy Eb helicon
- Conn naked lady Eb tuba
- King 1240 tuba with upright bell
- POSSIBLE - King 4-valve Eb helicon
- 1894 Cerveny 4-rotor large-bore tall BBb tuba

The pricepoint at which these will be offered is largely dependent upon how much restorative work I perform on them. I can offer them for sale at anywhere from "as-is" condition, where you're buying a budget-priced project instrument, to "fully restored" where they are basically remanufactured to like-new condition, which is more costly. There are steps in-between the two extremes, also, to help make a really fine player available at an affordable price.

Please feel free to call at any time to discuss what you might be looking for.

Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Instruments in Process at Lee Stofer Music

Postby opus37 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Wow! a lot of Eb's and helicons with a few small horns.
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Instruments in Process at Lee Stofer Music

Postby bort » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:56 pm

That 1894 Cerveny sounds interesting -- 123 years old? Wonder how much more life it has left in it! (<-- I mean that to be a positive statement, not a doubt as to the worth of this instrument.)
6 valves
6 valves

Return to TubeNet Sponsors