gold-tone titanium-coated Sellmansberger rims Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

gold-tone titanium-coated Sellmansberger rims

Postby bloke » Sun May 21, 2017 2:14 pm

We can never guess which rims anyone might wish to order with titanium coatings, so - every so often - we have some of them done in gold-tone (mostly: based on popularity of that rim style and size).

We just received back another batch... 8) :D :tuba:

The cost of the gold-tone titanium coating is $35 additional, and we can usually mail rims (postage, plus cost of small padded envelope) for $4.

We apologize in advance if - reacting to this post - you order a rim, and it doesn't happen to be one of the sizes that we've chosen to coat in advance. (Your request, though, can easily be put in with a subsequent batch, and batches are sent off, typically, every couple of months.)

Also, (as the black coating - which somewhat resembles "gun blue" in appearance - is ordered far less often) we didn't have any rims coated in black.

...Joe's comments regarding "the effect of the coating on feel and/or performance":

It looks cool. :|

...and yeah, most of my personal rims - these days - are gold-tone, because it looks cool.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: gold-tone titanium-coated Sellmansberger rims

Postby Steginkt » Sun May 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Is there a way to view an entire catalog of bloke merchandise
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Steginkt wrote:Is there a way to view an entire catalog of bloke merchandise

four cup styles

Solo - shallow bowl
Imperial - medium depth (not deep) funnel
Symphony - deep (not way too deep) funnel-bowl combo
Orchestra Grand - similar to Symphony, but the bowl aspect is somewhat diminished

back-bores: (offered in small/British, standard/American, medium large/P, and large/Euro shanks as noted below

Solo back-bores (ONLY fit Solo cups)
Solo #0 - small throat, medium exit bore - B, A, P
Solo #1 - medium-large reverse taper throat, medium exit bore - B, A, P
Solo #2 - medium-large reverse taper throat, large exit bore - A, P, E

Imperial back-bores (ONLY fit Imperial cups)
Imperial (only one back-bore available at this time) B, A, P, E

Symphony back-bore (fits Symphony ~and~ Orchestra Grand cups) A, P, E
medium-large reverse taper throat, and large exit bore

Orchestra Grand back-bore (fits Symphony ~and~ Orchestra Grand cups) A, P, E
small-"ish" throat, medium large exit bore

X back-bore (fits Symphony ~and~ Orchestra Grand cups) A, P, E
medium-large standard throat, and large exit bore

note: If you're seeking back-bores with super-large throat diameters, we could encourage you to look elsewhere.

rim styles: :arrow: ~ALL~ rims fit ~ALL~ cups.

#1 - not wide, crowned symmetrical top - i.e. not quite flat
- available in these embouchure openings: 32.3mm / 32.6mm / 33.2mm

note: As the rim is a separate part, we refer to this as "embouchure opening", whereas - with one-piece mouthpieces - this is referred to usually as "cup size". When the opening size gets smaller/larger, the thickness and contour of the same style of rim remains exactly the same.

#2 - our narrowest rim, asymmetrical, higher on the inside, falls away on the outside (bloke uses this style in a 33.2mm, fwiw)
- available in these embouchure openings: 32.3mm / 32.6mm / 33.2mm

HLB2 - a "Chicago-style Helleberg" rim. ~NOT~ flat. This rim is asymmetrical (as is the #2 style), but wider than the #2 style.
- available in these embouchure openings: 32.6mm / 33.2mm / 33.5mm

W-M - a wide/rounded European-style rim (think: Miraphone-ish, except with the high point moved to a spot that - we believe - offers better control)
- available in these embouchure openings: 32.0mm / 32.6mm / 33.3mm

NOTE: ALL of the Houser-designed rims fit ALL of our cups, and - for our customers' convenience - we stock the most popular ones in various embouchure openings, such as...
- Helleberg (flat...like Conn 120, perhaps even flatter...three embouchure openings)
- Helleberg Modified (a flat inner area, but rolled off on the outside, and narrower than a Helleberg rim...three embouchure openings)
- 33P (reminicent of the rims found on a couple of the popular/deep-cup PT mouthpieces...one size only)

We ALSO offer...
- Cup Extender rings (precision lathe-turned, and can be inserted between the cup and rim to extend the cup depth an additional c. 1/8")
- PROFUNDO rims (in many of the most popular styles/sizes, which have the same 1/8" of additional cup depth built into them that the Cup Extender Ring offers)
These extender rings and deep rims, in effect, double our CUP offerings from four to eight. :shock:

- Besides the special coatings, we also offer rims in black Lexan. We tend to stock far fewer of these - as there is less demand, but military musicians (in northern climes, in particular) find them quite handy.

note: The Profundo rims not ONLY convert the Symphony and Orchestra Grand cups into EXTRA-deep cups (or the bowl-shaped Solo cup to a medium-depth cup), but ALSO can be used to convert the medium-depth Imperial cup into a VERY powerful "regular"-deep cup that (the combination of which) seems to work particularly well with the PT-6, Wisemann, and MRP contrabass tubas. Using this combination with these particular models, the smallest-possible-fitting Imperial shank exterior size seems to maximize the effectiveness of this combination.

Again...We've not yet developed a website, even though "midsouthmusic-dot-com" has been purchased. I'm wide-open to phone calls for questions (Mrs. bloke has even learned a great deal about this stuff - and how to advise), and we can bill securely (via email) by sending a link to a secure-pay website.

There are well over a thousand VIABLE (parts meant to fit with each other) combinations :shock: , but it's REALLY easy 8) (as the choices are quite obvious and "matter-of-fact") to quickly make a decision.

`
Last edited by bloke on Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby tofu » Mon May 22, 2017 12:35 am

I bought a bloke piece in the secondary market that unbeknownst to me came with the black coated rim (and it is gun blue in color). Being a cheap SOB by nature I would have never ordered one with the special coating, but I really like it. I swim,bike,run and lift a lot in the course of a week - so I'm always are the edge of dehydration - which for me results in dry lips. The coated rim feels slippery and for someone like me who can use a slicker rim it works very well. If you like a slick rim I would recommend it.

In the long run being stainless and not having to re-plate it when it wears to brass you aren't paying a lot more. I've got a Shilke they custom made for me back in the '70's that has been replated 5 times now and is probably to the point it can't be re-plated again - if it had been stainless it would still be going strong and I'd have spent a lot less in the long run.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Mon May 22, 2017 1:23 am

tofu wrote:I've got a Schilke they custom made for me back in the '70's that has been replated 5 times now and is probably to the point it can't be re-plated again - if it had been stainless it would still be going strong and I'd have spent a lot less in the long run.

identical to my story.
Some here may remember...What got me started with all of this was copying MY OWN custom Schilke mouthpiece (made for me in in 1976). I've never found anything better (became the "Solo" cup). I got tired of its rim being distorted more every time it had to be replated. I talked Dave into copying it, and (after asking him about it) asked tubenet-dom if anyone else would like to buy one. ...my original motive: to get my own (one) stainless steel version of mouthpiece for a reduced cost, as the "set-up" cost was formidable.

I personally don't believe there is anything different (in the way they "sound") between identical-interior-shaped brass and stainless steel mouthpieces, but there is a plus (albeit a negative, which is cost) with stainless steel...which is DURABILITY. My stainless steel rims (coated or not) all feel like newly-gold-plated rims (at least: to me).

I have stainless steel rims that I've (now) used for years. They all are still in new condition, and are scratch-free. Back when I had my mouthpiece(s) gold plated, they were scuffed (from the soft cloth bags I kept them in, as well as from my own beard stubble) after just a few weeks.

The mouthpiece cup/back-bore designs...??
They're all about what ~I~ personally like and use...and not "what I think might sell". I do not particularly personally like the Conn-Helleberg 120 cup, the smaller 7B Conn Helleberg cup, vintage Helleberg cups, nor Chicago-style Helleberg cups, and therefore none of my cups are "Helleberg copy" or "Helleberg style" cups.

The rim styles...?? Other than the #2 profile (which I use exclusively...as I formerly used the #1 rim profile), they are all offered in order that those who purchase my mouthpieces can play something that feels similar to what they are accustomed.
truth...?? Many times, when someone tries out a friend's #2 profile rim, they call me and order one. :|

Am I some sort of "mouthpiece wizard"...??
:lol: I'm not particularly clever, and don't know very much about "mouthpiece design". I have a crappy lathe, have altered mouthpieces (that were small enough inside - to begin with - to possibly make into something useful), and asked Mrs. bloke (until she cried for mercy) whether she liked the sound of THIS, THAT, or THE OTHER...
FINALLY, when I played THIS, THIS, and THIS (pretending they were "THIS, THAT, and THE OTHER") and she said, "well...I liked ALL THREE of those", I knew I was on to something, and it was time - once again - to ask Dave to make a "real" (stainless steel) one.

If you like my stuff, think about Dave. It wouldn't be around without him and his skills. That having been said, I prefer that you purchase it from me. :oops:
bloke

Return to TubeNet Sponsors