funny story: Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

funny story:

Postby bloke » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm double-posting this (also in the "repairs, blah-blah" forum).
I'll leave this thread "open", so that those of you who dislike me can tell me what I did wrong, because - after all - that's what TubeNet is for, isn't it? :P :lol:
===================================================
- Lady buys a compensating euphonium made of Asian parts - not from me...not a make/model that I sell. (btw...It was also ~not~ made by Jb, just fwiw.)
- Lady brings it to me to be cleaned, and with a sticking piston.
- I cleaned the lime out of the instrument, and determined that the piston (~not~ the casing) had been bent, and too badly to straighten with it still being like new. Having it "trued and nickel plated" would work, but would be in queue for a considerable time, and - with one nickel plated piston - any possible subsequent owner of the instrument would immediately see that the piston had been damaged and repaired.
- I ordered her a piston from the only place I knew that could get them.
- That place accepted the order.
- So far (again, Chinese part) they haven't received the piston, so I haven't received the piston.
- I've asked that company quite a few times if the piston is on the way, with various responses.
- The lady is becoming impatient, sent me a note complaining about "lack of communication" (there's nothing to tell her, and I answered her inquiries - again, with no news, fwiw), and has decided to send the euphonium to city c. 100 miles away that will (they told her this, and even agreed that the piston - and not the casing - is bent) warble out the casing (with one of those brass expandable casing burnishers) until the bent piston goes up and down in spite of being bent.
me...?? sure...fine... It ain't my euphonium. I didn't break it. I told her exactly what was wrong, and have done my best to get her what she needs. I'm not taking a trip to China to pound my fist on someone's desk. I'll leave that to her...after someone else _ _ _ _s up her euphonium's valve casing. :|
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: funny story:

Postby MikeMason » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:17 am

No good deed goes unpunished
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby hup_d_dup » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 am

What happens when the piston shows up?

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby windshieldbug » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby bloke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:31 pm

hup_d_dup wrote:What happens when the piston shows up?

Hup

I was told "nevermind" yesterday, so I cancelled the order last night (via text).
As a matter-of-fact, the guy was AT THE FACTORY, and (while obviously doing many other things) was just about to pick it up in-person.
bloke

Return to TubeNet Sponsors