Creation of New Wessex 3/4 Compensated CC tuba

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Creation of New Wessex 3/4 Compensated CC tuba

Post by Wyvern »

Earlier this year, young Belgium tuba virtuoso and Wessex Artiste, Ken Van-Hoylandt approached me about the possibility of making a compensated CC tuba which would be as versatile as the classic British Eb tubas to be able to use for anything from solo playing to band, or orchestra - A CC which could do anything! We corresponded and he sent me sketches of his designs and I saw the possibility for Wessex to make using mainly existing parts at the factory, as developing a new tuba if it requires new mandrels, particularly bell can be very expensive.

Ken joined Carl Kleinsteuber, Chuck Nickles and myself on visit to factory this December and using the tuba building talents of Chuck and the resources of the factory, the new Wessex TC367 ‘Hussar‘ 3/4 compensated CC tuba has become a reality.

The new tuba has really exceeded expectations. It has tone very much like a compensated Eb, not surprising as it shares the same bell, intonation is equally good as the Eb, high register is easy due to the relatively small bore, while the low register as you would expect is better than an Eb - and using compensated valve set, moving around in the low register is easy, even for fast passages.

The new tuba has 18” bell and 17.5mm to 18.5mm valve set based on the design of the old British cavalry tubas, which is where the idea of the name arises.

I expect the first batch of the new TC367 to be available Summer 2018. Price has not yet been finalised, but will be under $4,000.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Creation of New Wessex 3/4 Compensated CC tuba

Post by iiipopes »

Mark Finley wrote:
KiltieTuba wrote:So it’s a Besson 983 in CC?

Sounds that way. I don't even think besson ever made a 4 valve compensating CC. That's cool that Wessex is trying something very innovative. (long way from the clone days, aren't they?)

Jonathan, I realize that prototypes are what they are, and we appreciate you being excited about giving us a sneak peak at new products, but I hope the tight bend in that one slide can be worked around, and same for the exposed tubing next to the bottom bow.
Correct. Besson only made a few F-compensating tubas. (I got to see the best one at Tuba Christmas!!!) But that is what Kiltie said: a tuba like a Besson 983, but in CC instead.
Mikelynch
bugler
bugler

Post by Mikelynch »

Besson actually made at least two very small groups of compensating CC's. It seems that one group (maybe just a couple of instruments) was apparently made in the 60's (and one of those was a 3V); with another group sometime later, probably in the 70's. There is reasonable information that in the second run, 2 each of 3V, and 4V were made. These 4V'ers were in the classic 3+1 configuration. I know that one 3V from the earlier group has since had a 4th added to it.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

Post by Heliconer »

Next year may just be the year I buy a Wessex!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Not really. The valve layout is similar and same bore, the bell is derived from the Eb, although different diameter - but all the bows and taper in between are different.

A bit like people thing the Besson F were just cut down Eb. The valves and design was the same, but virtually every bow was different. I know because we are in the process of making a compensated F and all new mandrel are required.
Mark Finley wrote:Jonathan, I realize that prototypes are what they are, and we appreciate you being excited about giving us a sneak peak at new products, but I hope the tight bend in that one slide can be worked around, and same for the exposed tubing next to the bottom bow.
Raising the exposed 4th valve tubing at bottom is easy. That will be done on production tuba. For the tight bend - it does not seem to have any detrimental effect on how the tuba plays - and is difficult to eliminate, so we will see.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Mikelynch wrote:Besson actually made at least two very small groups of compensating CC's. It seems that one group (maybe just a couple of instruments) was apparently made in the 60's (and one of those was a 3V); with another group sometime later, probably in the 70's. There is reasonable information that in the second run, 2 each of 3V, and 4V were made. These 4V'ers were in the classic 3+1 configuration. I know that one 3V from the earlier group has since had a 4th added to it.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Mike, is the Besson CC at BBC one of yours?
Davidus1
bugler
bugler

Post by Davidus1 »

Will there be a BBb version?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Davidus1 wrote:Will there be a BBb version?
Not planned at present
Mikelynch
bugler
bugler

Post by Mikelynch »

Bort--it is.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Cool to see some new designs.

KiltieTuba wrote:Ah, TubeNet at its finest - topic on one instrument turns into discussion about another manufacturer's instruments.
I think the real question here is which is better, lacquer or silver?
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Tabor wrote:I think the real question here is which is better, lacquer or silver?

Now we're getting to the heart of the matter! :twisted:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

We have managed to remove that tight U bend from tubing. Here is the updated prototype TC367. Now needs to be measured for CAD drawings to be made and new mandrels where required. Therefore first batch will be summer 2018
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AHynds »

Any idea of a cost?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

AHynds wrote:Any idea of a cost?
Just under $4,000
CaptainTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by CaptainTuba »

Is this Tuba still planned to be sold eventually or has it been discontinued?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

The 3/4 CC will be made as a 4+1 rather than compensator. Also we have made new bows to improve intonation.

We hope to have the prototype at ITEC