copying a mouthpiece without having to copy it Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

copying a mouthpiece without having to copy it

Postby bloke » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:07 pm

A customer (who lives 400 miles away) just drove here today, and brought in a really old Bach mouthpiece (Bronx, NY) which was a one-off mouthpiece for someone in a NYC firemen's band. The gentleman's name is deeply stamped into the mouthpiece. It bears no resemblance whatsoever to a 32, a 25, a 22, an 18, a 12, or a 7.

What this customer wanted today, though, was a "copy" of it with a larger shank.

Without scanning it and starting from scratch, I took a look at it, pulled a cup (Orchestra Grand), rim (#2 32.3mm), and an X back-bore "P" diameter shank...and (well) that customer has a stainless steel "copy".

sure...It's probably not EXACTLY a copy (not down to .001"), but I've seen MANY "copies" that are not nearly as close. The customer is convinced that it is "dead-on". (OK...I'm happy, then.)

Would I ALWAYS be able to do this with "stock" parts?
of course not
Was it really fun to be able to do it THIS time?
you bet it was

There are way over a thousand viable (viable: "designed to bolt up against each other") combinations of Sellmansberger (not even including "Houser" or sometimes compatible "Parker" parts) mouthpiece parts, but (obviously) there is an INFINITE number of possible tuba mouthpiece designs.

Its REALLY EASY, though, to zoom in on a combination:
- cup (very easy choice)
- shank size (the tuba decides that)
- back-bore (a few questions about the goal to be accomplished and/or the model of tuba)
- rim (a few questions about styles that the customer likes, and - maybe - how flat or curved are their four front teeth)

and hey...
We're selling ALMOST NONE of the "X" back-bores which are designed to fit the Symphony and Orchestra Grand cups. :|
Just fwiw, the "X" back-bore is "regular"...not huge, not small, not reverse-taper...REGULAR...i.e. "Brand X". Sometimes, "regular" is best. 8)
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: copying a mouthpiece without having to copy it

Postby TubaDude » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Just wanted to thank Joe for duplicating the old Silberbauer to a tea. I've been playing on the new piece for a couple of weeks now and it's working out great!!!

Thank you Bloke

Mike Marois
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 pm

TubaDude wrote:Just wanted to thank Joe for duplicating the old Silberbauer to a tea. I've been playing on the new piece for a couple of weeks now and it's working out great!!!

Thank you Bloke

Mike Marois

:oops: :D :arrow: http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79347
bloke

Postby Bnich93 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:15 am

Is there some sort of guide for these "modular" mouthpieces that can help somebody figure out the specifications that would suit their needs best? I have a Parker Cantabile 3 piece with an H-Kote 32 rim for my F tuba which I like a lot, but I also sat down with Michael for about an hour at a conference before I settled on the components. I am going to be acquiring a Yorkbrunner in the coming week, and was thinking that my current mouthpiece, a G&W Alan Baer MMVI, may not be as perfect for the hb50 as it has been with my PT4. I was looking into the blokepiece symphony or orchestral grand, but my main issue is that I don't know the direct affects that the throat bore, cup size, etc would have. Any tips?
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:26 am

Bnich93 wrote:Is there some sort of guide for these "modular" mouthpieces that can help somebody figure out the specifications that would suit their needs best? I have a Parker Cantabile 3 piece with an H-Kote 32 rim for my F tuba which I like a lot, but I also sat down with Michael for about an hour at a conference before I settled on the components. I am going to be acquiring a Yorkbrunner in the coming week, and was thinking that my current mouthpiece, a G&W Alan Baer MMVI, may not be as perfect for the hb50 as it has been with my PT4. I was looking into the blokepiece symphony or orchestral grand, but my main issue is that I don't know the direct affects that the throat bore, cup size, etc would have. Any tips?

You could try the telephone.
901-465-4739

No one knows everything, but I can ask questions, relate experiences, and make recommendations.
Once my website is up, there will still be no possible way to click buttons and (with more likelihood that actually talking to the designer of the components) come up with something close to an ideal. I'd wager than you and I could talk for fewer minutes than we could type emails or fb messages back-and-forth.
bloke

Postby Stryk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am

I have a couple of your two piece design, and I questioned why you went to a 3 piece system. Then I got a 3 piece and started playing with rims I already owned - #1 SF rim, Orchestra Grand Cup, and Symphony shank. WOW. It's not Nirvana on EVERY horn, but for a couple I play the most, it is the best I have ever had. Great system. I'm starting to work toward using them almost exclusively.
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Return to TubeNet Sponsors