First try of the Wessex Chicago - and interview with me! Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

First try of the Wessex Chicago - and interview with me!

Postby Wyvern » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Dylan King interviews Jonathan Hodgetts (me) on YouTube and has his first play test on the Wessex Chicago York and Chicago Presence.

Unfortunately due to a technical hitch, the sound is intermittent the first few minutes of video.

https://youtu.be/w1YhPl3YCGQ

See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: First try of the Wessex Chicago - and interview with me!

Postby tofu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 am

Jonathon,

Nice that you have been able to bring so many different horns to market and have been able to develop a relationship with your suppliers to make improvements and raise the quality level on an ongoing basis.

Do you specify the composition of the brass used in Wessex tubas or does the factory? Are all the Wessex tubas made with the same brass composition or does it differ by horn? The interview with your new Chicago York tubas made me think about this. There has been speculation in the past that the composition of the brass is one of the secrets to the York sound.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: First try of the Wessex Chicago - and interview with me!

Postby Wyvern » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:18 am

The Chicago is made of 70/30 yellow brass. Gold brass was found to be too difficult to work with hand hammering the bell and bows.

On the Grand BBb tuba which is made using regular methods, the Bell is 84/16 gold brass.

I don’t personally find the different brass makes a difference to tone now that we harden the bells. Before it did, but the gold brass looks nice on lacquer horns.

However the Chicago CC we will only be selling double silver plated or raw brass. No lacquer version.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Return to TubeNet Sponsors