Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2 Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby Stryk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am

ren wrote: playing c York tubas in a military band is the wrong sound. .


Please explain - I am floored anyone would make this remark.
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
User avatar
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Panama City, Florida

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Stryk wrote:
ren wrote: playing c York tubas in a military band is the wrong sound. .


Please explain - I am floored anyone would make this remark.


Let me "help". :mrgreen:

- Military bands mostly play marches. They play a few other things, but the other things they play are played in "march style".
- Most marches are in "flat keys".
- C tubas cannot play in "flat" keys".
- Military bandsmen must double as infantrymen, cavalry, and medics, and simply do not have the time it would take to learn how to play - as just one example - in Gb major on a C tuba (whoops...that's actually a more-easily-fingered scale on a C tuba than on a Bb tuba...but, well...) such as the "old warhorse" Rakoczy transcription and the majority of other band pieces - as most band pieces are composed in Gb major.
- A 186 BBb tuba is always going to offer more "band bass" type of sound than a Holton 345 CC tuba, because - well - it's a BBb tuba.

bloke "a ~~~TRUE EXPERT~~~ on military bandsmanship" :|

...and sorry for having to clarify these salient points...
...back to your discussion, gentlemen... :D
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 41573
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby ren » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 pm

jtuba wrote:
ren wrote:
They are just waiting for an amazing bflat.


There are several already on the market IMO. Speaking as a "professional" military musician, it's easy to get turned around on fingers for the different keys, esp. for BBb if that's the key tuba we abandoned (years/decades) ago and yet can still do the job on CC (right notes, right time, right intonation). I'm a much more capable sight reader on CC, which in turn means I prepare more quickly for performance on CC. I've used BBb for performances too, when I had access to a 195P, an amazing BBb I think. Of course that can be remedied with practice, but life happens in military music too.


I agree with you, I played a CC tuba in the military for the same reason, Im just saying a great bflat tuba would sound amazing in the marine band if the whole section used them. C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.
ren
 

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby Ken Crawford » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 pm

ren wrote:
jtuba wrote:
ren wrote:
They are just waiting for an amazing bflat.


There are several already on the market IMO. Speaking as a "professional" military musician, it's easy to get turned around on fingers for the different keys, esp. for BBb if that's the key tuba we abandoned (years/decades) ago and yet can still do the job on CC (right notes, right time, right intonation). I'm a much more capable sight reader on CC, which in turn means I prepare more quickly for performance on CC. I've used BBb for performances too, when I had access to a 195P, an amazing BBb I think. Of course that can be remedied with practice, but life happens in military music too.


I agree with you, I played a CC tuba in the military for the same reason, Im just saying a great bflat tuba would sound amazing in the marine band if the whole section used them. C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.


The tuba players in the Presidents Own switch between all tuba keys regularly, daily even. They play BBb (3 valve!) sousaphones for ceremonies. They all sound frickin amazing on whatever they play, (probably even on a Wessex) because they are professionals. This idea of a "classic band sound" is total bull-only... Play all the correct notes in time, in tune, at the correct volume. That's the "classic band sound" I like...
User avatar
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 am
Location: Rexburg, ID

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby ren » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:57 am

Yes c tubas sound like bflat tubas sorry I forgot it’s just a matter of playing ceremonies on sousaphones.

Just like a trumpets sound like d trumpets and b flat trumpets sound like c trumpets and ...

Eflat tubas sound like f tubas and English horns sound like oboes and euphoniums sound like cellos and clarinets sound like saxophones etc :D

And miraphones sound like York’s and holtons sound like Marzans and conns sound like Yamaha’s and drum Corp g tubas sound like kaiser bflats and sousaphones sound like martins and Meinl Weston’s sound like hirsbrunners and Rudy Meinl sound like perantuccis I think you get it
ren
 

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby TheTuba » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am

ren wrote:Yes c tubas sound like bflat tubas sorry I forgot it’s just a matter of playing ceremonies on sousaphones.

Just like a trumpets sound like d trumpets and b flat trumpets sound like c trumpets and ...

Eflat tubas sound like f tubas and English horns sound like oboes and euphoniums sound like cellos and clarinets sound like saxophones etc :D

And miraphones sound like York’s and holtons sound like Marzans and conns sound like Yamaha’s and drum Corp g tubas sound like kaiser bflats and sousaphones sound like martins and Meinl Weston’s sound like hirsbrunners and Rudy Meinl sound like perantuccis I think you get it


Best of all, I sound like myself!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby mctuba1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:00 pm

ren wrote:
jtuba wrote:
ren wrote:
They are just waiting for an amazing bflat.


There are several already on the market IMO. Speaking as a "professional" military musician, it's easy to get turned around on fingers for the different keys, esp. for BBb if that's the key tuba we abandoned (years/decades) ago and yet can still do the job on CC (right notes, right time, right intonation). I'm a much more capable sight reader on CC, which in turn means I prepare more quickly for performance on CC. I've used BBb for performances too, when I had access to a 195P, an amazing BBb I think. Of course that can be remedied with practice, but life happens in military music too.


I agree with you, I played a CC tuba in the military for the same reason, Im just saying a great bflat tuba would sound amazing in the marine band if the whole section used them. C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.



Where did you play in the military and when?

What is considered a classic tuba/band sound and what tuba/model represents this? just curious. I


I would like for you to take me up on a bet that i can take a BBb and a CC, play the same piece of music and guarentee you would only have a 50% chance of guessing the right key of each horn. Using a BBb or CC or both at the same time in a concert band setting makes no difference at all unless of course you one of rhose that can hear the grass grow kinda tuba blowers. Its not the Key of horn but the design and the player that determines the sound.

QUESTION? You call yourself a pro, what the heck did you for for a living as a pro, when and where? I ask because you make some outrageous statements/comments that blow me away at times. Maybe its time you give a formal introduction to the board of who you are or were so we get a better idea of where you are coming from. At times your remarks seem like you were transplanted from another dimension.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank
804-926-7707
mctuba1
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby pauvog1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:28 am

ren wrote:...C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.


https://youtu.be/no0qB8CVspY
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby iiipopes » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:17 pm

And the monkey wrapped his tale around the flagpole....
User avatar
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder
 
Posts: 7817
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:10 am

Previous

Return to TubeNet Sponsors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests