6/4 Compensated BBb ‘Leviathan’ almost ready!

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

6/4 Compensated BBb ‘Leviathan’ almost ready!

Post by Wyvern »

The new Wessex TB691 Leviathan compensated 6/4 BBb tuba is now almost ready. Wessex will be getting feedback from some top Championship Brass Band BBb Bass players before going into production, but the sound from this tuba is incredible! A ‘game changer’ over any currently available compensated BBb Bass.

Will Druiett play tests the Leviathan
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: 6/4 Compensated BBb ‘Leviathan’ almost ready!

Post by bort »

Is this the same bell and bows as your 6/4 piston tubas, but with a different valve block?

Not that it's a bad thing, just curious... because with model names (not numbers), it can be hard to tell. As compared to something like the Willson 3100 FA, 3100 RZ, and 3100 TA, which are all the same tuba except for front-action, rotary, and top-action valves respectively.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bort wrote:Is this the same bell and bows as your 6/4 piston tubas, but with a different valve block?
This Leviathan uses the same bell and bows as the TB692 Grand, but we are also going to make a trial version with the TB693 Prokofiev bell and bows (which are different from the Grand in being hand-hammered and with slightly different profile bell) and get feedback on which brass bands prefer - so which the eventual production tuba will use I can’t say until we have evaluated.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

hrender wrote:I apologize if I missed this in earlier conversations, but do you have the 4th valve on the LH trigger? If so, cool feature.
The Tuba has a rotary 4th valve with lever beside 1st valve slide for easy reach getting over the poor ergonomics of most compensated BBb tubas.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

Wyvern wrote:
bort wrote:Is this the same bell and bows as your 6/4 piston tubas, but with a different valve block?
This Leviathan uses the same bell and bows as the TB692 Grand, but we are also going to make a trial version with the TB693 Prokofiev bell and bows (which are different from the Grand in being hand-hammered and with slightly different profile bell) and get feedback on which brass bands prefer - so which the eventual production tuba will use I can’t say until we have evaluated.

Is it fair to say the price will be similar to whatever version gets the parts taken from?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Voisi1ev wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Is it fair to say the price will be similar to whatever version gets the parts taken from?
That is a fair assumption
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

If that thing weighs more than 30lbs I cant imagine marching around with it!!
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Three Valves wrote:If that thing weighs more than 30lbs I cant imagine marching around with it!!
Leviathan is 28 lb in is present form. Would be about 24 lb if we decided to go hand hammered
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

Great idea using a rotor valve for the 4th valve so it could be placed closer to the bell making the left hand reach easier. I remember Mike Johnson talking about that idea about 20 plus years ago. That should also make the horn balance better. Looking forward to giving that one a try.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

Yes it's very similar to what Mike does.....

http://mike-johnson-custom.co.uk/custom ... et="_blank
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

cambrook wrote:Yes it's very similar to what Mike does.....

http://mike-johnson-custom.co.uk/customising/index.html
Good ideas tend to come around again, although the Leviathan is Chuck Nickles design - and a difficult one too - he says the most difficult tuba ever to make. On a tuba this size a rotary 4th valve is really the only way to maintain the 3+1 valve set-up and make it ergonomically playable.

And the result is comfortable to hold - the 4th valve reach is less than on even an Eb tuba.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

The “Leviathan” might be reason enough for me to return to one of the Chicago-area brass bands which may have a BBb Bass vacancy...at least on a sub/dep basis...
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Here is the new TB691 Leviathan compensated 6/4 BBb which I have just brought back to the UK. It will now be going to some championship BBb Bass players to get feedback before we get into production.

We think it plays great - and now with some rerouting of tubing and silver-plated looks great too.

The sale price will depend on if we decide to go with regular formed bows, or hand-hammered.

BTW Where my hand is in second photo, shows the reach to the 4th valve which is operated by lever behind the 1st valve tubing.