Wessex new TC337 3/4 CC tuba

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Wessex new TC337 3/4 CC tuba

Post by Wyvern »

Here is first view of the new Wessex TC337 3/4 non-compensated 4+1 CC tuba. This has been in development for over a year and I am thrilled with the outcome. The size and weight are similar to a compensated Eb tuba and it only weighs 18lb. The sound is rich and surprisingly full from such a small CC tuba. I can see using the TC337 a lot myself, when playing with smaller ensemble. It will be great for the college student as an all purpose CC tuba and good for professionals for such as brass quintet.

Note all 5 valve slides are positioned easy to pull at the top while playing. This tuba will be made high-grade and I still aim for the price to be about $3,500.

This is the prototype (the 5th valve linkage still needs fitting), so there may be some minor changes to pipe routing before production. Wessex hopes to have prototype available to play test at ITEC in May.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wyvern on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex new TC337 3/4 CC tuba

Post by tubeast »

I was going to comment on ergonomic Valve alignment, but Mark beat me to it.
With some luck, there´s a convenient rest for the left hand to carry the weight on Standing gigs.
That will be the case if the forearm can snugly fit to a rather large Surface on the horn, the Hand simply securing the Position rather than carrying the load.
rfoster0508
lurker
lurker

Post by rfoster0508 »

When will this be sold to the public?
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Looks like a well-proportioned, compact tuba! Is there a BBb in the works?
Being able to easily adjust all 5 tuning slides is terrific; however, I do have a question. Would it not be easier to just have a top-mounted LH adjustable main tuning slide, rather than bounce your LH all over those 5 nifty tuning slides? (Also, anticipating the answer by one member - 'just make it compensating') Anyhow, that way you set your individual slides where you want them, and just push/pull the one MTS. I know, I'm just a 4-valve piston BBb'er, and there's a lot about the multi-valve CC and F tubas (particularly the rotary horns) that I don't understand or have any experience with, but I'm a fan of "simple", and adjusting only one slide seems "simple".
Thanks for any explanations!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:How cold was it in there?
You mean in the factory? A lot less cool than it used to be! When I first started visiting there was no heating/AC and it was freezing in winter and baking in summer, but now it is a lot better. The workshop is maybe 60 F in the winter, while the Wessex room for quality assurance has AC and is more like 70 F.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Wyvern wrote:
bloke wrote:How cold was it in there?
You mean in the factory? A lot less cool than it used to be! When I first started visiting there was no heating/AC and it was freezing in winter and baking in summer, but now it is a lot better. The workshop is maybe 60 F in the winter, while the Wessex room for quality assurance has AC and is more like 70 F.
That is good. If I lived in a cold climate, or at least where I do winter can be below freezing by a considerable amount and summer sweltering, I would not like to have an instrument that was assembled in the summer with everything expanded and have to play it in the winter with everything contracted and sticking.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

tubeast wrote:I was going to comment on ergonomic Valve alignment, but Mark beat me to it.
With some luck, there´s a convenient rest for the left hand to carry the weight on Standing gigs.
That will be the case if the forearm can snugly fit to a rather large Surface on the horn, the Hand simply securing the Position rather than carrying the load.
I understand what you guys are saying, but I personally don't see this angle as comfortable. I have played on a G50 and on a Yamaha 822 (CC) and the slanted valves are not comfortable, I can't seem to get the horn to sit in a good place in my lap and keep my hand in a comfortable position. I personally prefer the vertical pistons, I feel I can tilt the horn just enough for me to reach the slides and still be very relaxed when playing. BUT, I have seen how Mark has to hold his little Conn, so I understand his point as well. That's the Jays of tubas though, so many different layouts almost everyone can find a set up that works for them.