New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby MackBrass » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:33 pm

We have a new BBb model that will be added to our website shortly

We took the BBb 4v rotor TU355 model and made it a 4 piston BBb tuba. This is like the yamaha's 103 3 piston model but with 4 piston valves.  More to come.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 am
Location: Virginia

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Here is a photo that Tom Sent Me, those look like really lightweight valves
Attachments
Screenshot_20190126-001846_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190126-001846_Gallery.jpg (125.37 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
User avatar
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:08 am
Location: Arlington TX

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby KiltieTuba » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Looks like the small Jupiter or a 4 valve Yamaha 103
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 5108
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 am

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby MackBrass » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:06 pm

KiltieTuba wrote:Looks like the small Jupiter or a 4 valve Yamaha 103


Its like the yamaha 103 only with 4 valves.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 am
Location: Virginia

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Davidus1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:01 am

Looks interesting. Interested in price point and when available. Great idea!
Davidus1
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:11 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Three Valves » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Is the valve section removable like the rotor model??
User avatar
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 am
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby The Big Ben » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:57 pm

I think JP sells a copy of the Yamaha 103, too.
User avatar
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:54 pm
Location: Port Townsend, WA

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby bloke » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:16 am

The Big Ben wrote:I think JP sells a copy of the Yamaha 103, too.


The John Packer is much more like the Yamaha 621 BBb (though not-at-all a "copy", as there are hundreds of easily-spotted configuration differences).

.689"-.728" bore

There's a cheapo/similar-looking instrument to the JP (made in another factory), but - when you check on the spec's - you find that the bore sizes are smaller.

:arrow: This is Tom's thread, but I'm only responding to this remark...I'm ducking back outta here! :oops:
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 44065
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:22 am

It was pointed out in facebook that the pictured tuba looks to be closer to a 621 than a 103, and Tom agreed and changed the description. I wonder what the bore size is?

I have wondered for years why copies of the 621 in cc and BBb exist coming out of China, but not a single version of the 621 F exists to my knowledge
User avatar
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:08 am
Location: Arlington TX

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby MackBrass » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:28 pm

Mark Finley wrote:It was pointed out in facebook that the pictured tuba looks to be closer to a 621 than a 103, and Tom agreed and changed the description. I wonder what the bore size is?

I have wondered for years why copies of the 621 in cc and BBb exist coming out of China, but not a single version of the 621 F exists to my knowledge



I am hoping the f will be coming but the body is totally different so making that will be a little more involved.

Pricing will hopefully be in the 1895 to 1995 area for the BBb.

Next chance we are working on is outting a 16 inch bell on the CC and later on the BBb.

Bore for both the BBb and CC will be around .689.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 am
Location: Virginia

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Three Valves » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:55 pm

I’ve seen the JP 179 and the Yammy 621 side by side and my eye calipers say the Yammy has a bigger bore.
User avatar
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 am
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm

Three Valves wrote:I’ve seen the JP 179 and the Yammy 621 side by side and my eye calipers say the Yammy has a bigger bore.


Tom's Bb prototype pic. - to my eyes - very closely resembles a 621, just as does his new C offering.

The JP179B Bb 1-2-3 bore size is the same as Yamaha 621 Bb, but the JP-179B Bb 4th valve bore size is larger than Yamaha. Again, the JP179B is a "similar to" but not a close copy.
User avatar
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator
 
Posts: 44065
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: western Tennessee

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby iiipopes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Three Valves wrote:I’ve seen the JP 179 and the Yammy 621 side by side and my eye calipers say the Yammy has a bigger bore.

I played a Yammy 621 in college. Primary bore is .689.
User avatar
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder
 
Posts: 8123
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:10 am

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Three Valves » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 pm

What am I supposed to believe, the scientific method or my own lying eyes??

:)
User avatar
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 am
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Bigsum90 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:51 pm

Tom:

Please put one on lay-away for me.

Bigsum90
User avatar
Bigsum90
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby MackBrass » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:59 am

Bigsum90 wrote:Tom:

Please put one on lay-away for me.

Bigsum90


Just give me a call to set it up and we will see what we can do.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 am
Location: Virginia

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Bigsum90 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Tom:
As you know I have a TU210L and I love the great sound. But I just turned 71 and have arthritis. Loading and loading the 210 and climbing stairs really is wearing on my joints. I am very interested in your new 3/4 front piston. I know you have three or four 3/4 tubas in your stable. My question is: which of your 3/4 tubas will best approach the sound and projection of the 210? You have the TU335, the new front piston and, I think a Cerveny Arion clone. Can't wait for more info on the piston.

Bigsum90
Mack Brass TU210L
MackVeny Arion TU220
Cumberland Presbyterian "Holy Gang"
User avatar
Bigsum90
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby MackBrass » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Bigsum90 wrote:Tom:
As you know I have a TU210L and I love the great sound. But I just turned 71 and have arthritis. Loading and loading the 210 and climbing stairs really is wearing on my joints. I am very interested in your new 3/4 front piston. I know you have three or four 3/4 tubas in your stable. My question is: which of your 3/4 tubas will best approach the sound and projection of the 210? You have the TU335, the new front piston and, I think a Cerveny Arion clone. Can't wait for more info on the piston.

Bigsum90


The 3/4 BBb modelled after the Cerveny Arion is a great option as its not as small as the 355 or the piston version. I think for downsizing from the 210 the TU220 Cerveny type would be a great option for you as you will still be able to use it in any setting. These are only 1895 and they are in stock.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 am
Location: Virginia

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby nworbekim » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:08 pm

mctuba1 wrote:
Bigsum90 wrote:Tom:
As you know I have a TU210L and I love the great sound. But I just turned 71 and have arthritis. Loading and loading the 210 and climbing stairs really is wearing on my joints. I am very interested in your new 3/4 front piston. I know you have three or four 3/4 tubas in your stable. My question is: which of your 3/4 tubas will best approach the sound and projection of the 210? You have the TU335, the new front piston and, I think a Cerveny Arion clone. Can't wait for more info on the piston.

Bigsum90


The 3/4 BBb modelled after the Cerveny Arion is a great option as its not as small as the 355 or the piston version. I think for downsizing from the 210 the TU220 Cerveny type would be a great option for you as you will still be able to use it in any setting. These are only 1895 and they are in stock.


I'd like to see them both... Anticipating pictures.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
User avatar
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:08 pm
Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Re: New BBb 3/4 Model with 4 Pistons

Postby Bigsum90 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:30 pm

My new Mack Brass 3/4 BBb TU220L Arion arrived yesterday. This horn was more than I hoped for: really nice size compared to my 4/4 TU210L, lighter weight, compact package. With a bore slightly larger than the 210, I could not tell a difference in the sound - even my wife liked it and she is a tuba officionado. Maybe if I were playing in a large community band, I might lose some volume, but my church gig does not require volume. Practiced last night with the group and got a "thumbs up". Quality is very good: no issues with valve action and intonation is great. If you are looking for a 3/4 tuba, you could not go wrong with the Mack Brass Arion.

I will probably be listing the TU210L for sale soon.

Bigsum90
Mack Brass TU210L
MackVeny Arion TU220
Cumberland Presbyterian "Holy Gang"
User avatar
Bigsum90
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Next

Return to TubeNet Sponsors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests