MACK Brass Updated Website Featuring The 6/4 Thunderbird

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

MACK Brass Updated Website Featuring The 6/4 Thunderbird

Post by MackBrass »

I know its been a while since we have updated our website with new additions, so here is the new and exciting 6/4 Thinderbird.

http://www.mackbrass.com/6_4_CC_Thunderbird_2.php" target="_blank

As most who know who i am and how i operate, my standards are extremely high. If an instrument doesnt meet the needs or demands of the seasoned pro, I will not touch it. We are not into having a website filled with fluff and all kinds of instruments just to make our company look inpressive.

Feedback is appreciated and part of the reason we can keep our prices as low as possible is because i am too cheap to pay someone to maintain our site. lol
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: MACK Brass Updated Website Featuring The 6/4 Thunderbird

Post by Ken Crawford »

Good to see the website updated. The Thunderbird is a good looking instrument. When you use the term "handmade" what does that entail? How much does it weigh? Do you have bore dimensions? Other features? Valve construction materials? Can't wait to hear your videos. Thanks!
JaxBen_20J
bugler
bugler

Post by JaxBen_20J »

It's a beautiful horn!

I noticed on your "coming soon" page that you also mentioned a 4/4 Little Thunderbird. Any chance you'll get some details about that up soon?
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Ken Crawford wrote:Good to see the website updated. The Thunderbird is a good looking instrument. When you use the term "handmade" what does that entail? How much does it weigh? Do you have bore dimensions? Other features? Valve construction materials? Can't wait to hear your videos. Thanks!
This is a handmade tuba from sheet brass being hand hammered where the end product is lightweight and very responsive.
Weight is around 23 lbs
Bell is 20"
Bore for valves 1-3 is 0.748
Bore for the 4th valve is 0.789
Bore for the 5th valve, i cant remember off the top of my head but the 5th is a large valve measuring somewhere between. 848 to .867.

I can tell you that the MAW valves fit perfectly from my testing but since the horn is already so responsive the MAW valves really didnt have much of an impact.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

JaxBen_20J wrote:It's a beautiful horn!

I noticed on your "coming soon" page that you also mentioned a 4/4 Little Thunderbird. Any chance you'll get some details about that up soon?
The 4/4 is modeled directly from the Nirschl 4/4 and has the most incredible low register of any CC i have played. I do have the first production made model right now and i found the main tuning slide to be about 5/8th of an inch too long. I will have this changed on all future incoming. The 4/4 features the same valve set as the 6/4 and plays extremely well. I have always liked this model as its a great do it all tuba. If i was younger and taking auditions I would have no problem using this.

Price for the 4/4 will be $5795.00 and comes with an ABS style case.

For the tuba i currently have, i will be doing a demo video shortly and will be selling this one for $4995.00 due to having the main slide being shortened. The outer tubes are the only tubes that need to be cut as the inner tubes are fine and will fit after the alteration is completed.
Tom McGrady
804-926-7707
swanben11
lurker
lurker

Post by swanben11 »

Well, this is a regular drool fest. How heavy is the 4/4, and is the rest of that horn hand hammered as well?
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Someone has been updating their website...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

What a gorgeous instrument. I am definitely going to be looking at the 4/4 iteration when it's available as my next purchase, since I would like to get my hands on a CC tuba next.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.