bloke - synthetic washers - post dated: summer 2019 Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

bloke - synthetic washers - post dated: summer 2019

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 pm

I've backed out of this business, because I don't wish to take responsibility (with no instrument here) for supplying the correct thicknesses.

A couple of thoughts:

> Besson washers (sort of a combination of a rubbery substance and fibers, and with an extremely long life and quiet action) are amazing, but all of them are 1/8" (3mm) thick. If your instrument requires 1/8" thick washers, BINGO! Otherwise, if your instrument requires more than 1/8" washers, my best advice would be to shim them with some sort of other material (even a carefully-cut good quality natural cork washer) underneath.

> During the summer (and some other times) I'm just to busy to deal with this, and the amount of time/effort in taking an order is worth more to me than the $20 (which still seems like a lot - to me - for a few washers) I had been charging. If you REALLY want to order my washers (and - early in the fall - I'll have more of them cut), I will consider sell them (at a bit of a higher price than before for a "set"), but I'm putting the dimensions on the CUSTOMER as the CUSTOMER's responsibility...
ie.
A typical customer - in the future - well could have wrote:Hey bloke,
I'd like to order four washers that at 6mm thick for under the valve caps, and four washers that are 2.5mm thick for under the finger buttons. I'd like those under the valve caps to be as quiet as possible, so please make them up of a combination of a very firm and a very soft washer. However, since those under the buttons are so thin, please just send those extra-firm (to avoid compression) and I'll abide with the extra noise.

SUMMARY:
...so IF I resume selling these:
> more customer responsibility regarding fit
> a bit higher pricing
> not until in the fall
> Though it requires a bit of looking around the internet to find them, consider the hybrid 1/8" (3mm) thick Besson washers, and shimming them to fit your own make of instrument.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: bloke - synthetic washers - post dated: summer 2019

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Check this out:

:arrow: http://www.jlsmithco.com/flute-pad-whim-washers

The thickest are .0075"
FIVE of these stacked = about 1-1/4mm of thickness
DO YOUR ARITHMETIC, and you can figure out what to buy to make up whatever thickness you need to shim the 1/8" (3mm) thick Besson washers to the specs of your own instument.

The narrowest diameter offered are 16mm.
They are offered in up to 19mm diameter, which is about 3/4".
That largest diameter might (??) be suitable underneath the large diameter Besson washers.

> YES, you would have to buy 100 of a given size.
> IF YOU HEAD-SCRATCH and (again) do some arithmetic, you might well be able to only purchase two sizes.
bloke

Return to TubeNet Sponsors