Review of the Wessex Chicago York by Simon Styles

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Review of the Wessex Chicago York by Simon Styles

Post by Wyvern »

Simon Styles, Solo Tuba of the Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra who is owner of both Yamayork and a couple Nirschl’s has been trialing the Wessex TC695 Chicago-York this last few months, playing with his orchestra, which is one of the best in the world.

Simon has now sent me review with his kind permission to publish. To be transparent, I have omitted his comparisons with other brands as he wished.
I have played the instrument a very great deal both in the orchestra and with professional colleagues… My impressions of the instrument… are all extremely favourable.

I don't think in my 40 years as a professional musician that I have played better valves than those of the Wessex instrument, they are fast, clean, tight and very easily maintained. They are just great.

The instruments have a very good and very stable intonation, the sound using the correct mouthpiece is wonderfully warm and the low register is very easy, which is, surprisingly, not always the case with these instruments.

So... the Wessex Chicago York gets my wholehearted recommendation, and then to factor in the price, it is simply unbeatable!!