previously-smushed Yamaha 3/4 tubas... Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

previously-smushed Yamaha 3/4 tubas...

Postby bloke » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:43 pm

I did a favor for a wealthy private school (them: thinking they needed to buy something from me // me: upon arrival, realizing that all they really needed was some guidance for a kid - with whom I subsequently spent some time), thought nothing about it, and - later on - (surprise :!: ) they threw some surplus instruments my way. 8)

Two of them were smushed-up Yamaha 3/4 tubas - an old 102 and an old 103. The valves were in great condition (103: monel / 102: plating on pistons is like-new). As virtually all middle schools are looking for "used 3/4 tubas in good condition", they were sold in less than a week (even paid in full in advance, which I did not request), but I explained that I couldn't fix them up and ship them out (about 600 miles away) until after I'd kept all of my local school repairs promises... (I'm supplying them with a couple of generic Bach 22 copies...low-cost to me / just-right for them.)

...so the school repairs (for now - until they tear them back up again) are done, and I'm getting these ready to (hopefully) Greyhound out on Monday. These jobs are always a bit more involved than I think they're going to be, but (well...) this time, I charged ~just~ enough so that I'm smiling, instead of looking up at the ceiling.

The 103 was screwed up worse than the 102, so I did it first. Here's the 103 (as good as it's gonna be, for what I charged). I'm sorta proud (though not exactly a "special" instrument) of this gig, because - even though the small side of the tuba and bottom bow were smushed absolutely flat, I was able to put all of the braces back precisely on to their original footprints. ...I actually had to resort to some pretty heavy annealing and rounding-ring work on that bottom bow.

...I think I'm going to take a shower (6:30 P.M. Saturday) take a break, and decide whether-or-not I'm going to do much more to the 102 tonight (already: un-soldered and epically-stuck slides pulled). Tomorrow (Sunday) should be a long day on the 102, but it will really be nice (Monday) to wave bye-bye to them...and there are about three "straggler" repairs to drop off over in Memphis (when I'm there at Greyhound) anyway...one last U of Memphis instrument (given to us when we brought back all the others) and a couple of middle school harmony woodwinds (done last, because Mrs. bloke had to wait for me to repair some trashed bassoon bocals, and also to repair the middle connection "socket" on a plastic bass clarinet that had been busted in two :( ).

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: previously-smushed Yamaha 3/4 tubas...

Postby roughrider » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Those look terrific!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
roughrider
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08 am

thnx. 8)

The other is an ancient model 102 (with the bassoon-bocal-shaped mouthpipe).

It will be a bit more of a challenge...
I've got the flattened upper bow and bottom bow rounded back out...but the bottom bow developed several cracks, which I'll have to braze back together. That issue needing to be addressed, the bottom bow's geometry - in the de-flattening process - did not "spread", so that's one issue that will not need to be addressed.

Another sucky thing about the 102:
Someone (years ago) used a vegetable-based oil on the #3 piston. I nearly couldn't get it out, and it's really difficult to clean that turned-to-cement crap off of a piston and out of a casing. (Petroleum-based cleaners/thinners are of no use whatsoever.) :(
bloke

Postby Big Toot » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:49 am

You did a tremendous job repairing those. Phenomenal!
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Here's the other one...It's several years older...a 50 years old, now...(??)... Model YBB-102 (Holton stencil, thus the orange-tinted lacquer)

I thought it would be easier to un-destroy than the model 103, but it proved to be just as much of a challenge...
I had to silver-braze some terrible cracks and holes in the small side of the bottom bow (which was smushed completely flat).

bloke

Postby Three Valves » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm

That third valve is whacky!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Three Valves wrote:That third valve is whacky!!

The right thumb anchors nicely underneath that horizontal stretch of the #3 circuit.

I've always thought that the (ancient, as far as Yamaha is concerned) model 102 looks 19th-Century-ish.

Additionally, the player is required to hold the instrument at a similar awkward sideways angle to that of the CC lap sousaphones.

It's an inch taller than the typical 3/4 BBb, yet with only a less-than-13-3/4" diameter bell and an only about 41/64" (16.25mm) bore.
bloke

Postby Tubaing » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 pm

bloke wrote:
Three Valves wrote:That third valve is whacky!!

The right thumb anchors nicely underneath that horizontal stretch of the #3 circuit.

I've always thought that the (ancient, as far as Yamaha is concerned) model 102 looks 19th-Century-ish.

It looks like it was based off of a 1880s Besson.

Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Postby YORK-aholic » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:45 am

Crumple zones. :lol: Makes it sound like the front and rear of a sub-compact car.

bloke wrote:Image
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 am

good catch on the Besson model they ripped off.

Both of these are in remarkably good (like new) mechanical condition, but - clearly - the 103 is a better player...
...but I charged several hundred more for the 103, so...

Obviously, these formerly-smashed tubas were not "restored like new", and (except for a few spots) not even re-lacquered...but they look pretty good, eh?

bloke "Particularly with the better-than-Y105 :arrow: JP078 outfit's price (brand new), I just don't see any financial viability connected to 'complete restorations' of student 3/4 tubas."

Return to TubeNet Sponsors