B-flat 191 copies

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
MN_TimTuba

Re: B-flat 191 copies

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Joe,
I don't see anything about this tuba on the web-site, will they be adding info?
Also, it seems Mack has removed their copy of the BBb 7/8 Cerveny, leaving the Packer 379B as one of the few of these available. The one I played last summer was mighty nice; I'd enjoy taking a test drive on that 191 copy if any become available, before I make any changes or additions (a just last month serious health issue has reared its ugly head, and may have an impact on my horn selection).
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

[ [/quote]

I really like my 379b, I use it to teach lessons on. It's like a 186 when they still made them with a 16 inch bell, but compact enough that it will fit in my backseat, and still leave room for a passenger back there.[/quote]

Mark,
I'm 90% convinced. I've also seen your brief YouTube review, which should be longer! How about some concert band excerpts and a portion of a solo or two?
If I'm told I indeed need to downsize, then at this point the 379B and the 2341 are at the top of my list, both significantly smaller than my 345, and markedly different approaches to a smaller horn. I haven't played a 495 or 191 yet; I know that neither would be as light as the 379B or 2341, probably only a mid-step down in size for me, but they do pique my interest. I really did love playing the YBB621 for 5 or 6 years, but I feel it's a bit too small for general concert band work, tho' a joy to play and especially to transport.
If any tubenetters in MN own a 191 or 495 and would be willing to set up a time I could meet to play them a bit, I'd be mighty grateful for a pm to that effect.
My apologies for hijacking this thread.
Tim
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:bloke "but what do I know..."
Hey Joe, what do you know?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bloke wrote:It seems to me that the current-version shorty King 2341 would be a more practical instrument (and suffer from much less concentric bell creasing) with the (so-called) "Conn" (54J) 18-inch diameter bell...and (OK...saving a little bit on money on sheet metal) invest that savings into bell sheet metal that is about .1mm thicker.

bloke "but what do I know..."
Joe,
I've had the same thought, actually wondering whether there's a suitable 16 1/2 or 17" bell to really compact things up. Would the Conn be a simple plug in? Might make it worthwhile for me to locate a couple of damaged horns to have introduced to each other. Or does Packer have this in the works, too?
Tim