Sousaphone Gig Bags: What do you want?...

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Sousaphone Gig Bags: What do you want?...

Post by greenbean »

Kirley just had a brilliant idea. We would like to find out what you sousaphone players want in a gig bag BEFORE I start making them.

So, what would you like to see in your ideal gig bag? What is important to you? What do you like/hate about the bags that are out there?
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
rollo
lurker
lurker

Re: Sousaphone Gig Bags: What do you want?...

Post by rollo »

I have the Gard sousa bag. I mostly like it! The padding is okay, and I like the pocket on the outside, although it could stand to be a bit bigger maybe? What I really don't like are the backpack straps, they are too low for my tastes. Maybe it's becuase i'm not all that tall (5'7"), but I'd like the horn to sit higher on my back so it doesn't bang against the back of my knees while i try to walk with it.
Wessex Viverna
Conn 20K naked lady (Valentina)

MBI - '06, contra
Madison Scouts - '07, contra
The Govenaires - '08 - 15, contra
The Govenaires - '07, '16, euphonium
The Govenaires - '17 - '22, contra
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Let’s try this again! I’m not sure if you saw it, but my well thought out reply was lost in the forum update. I’ll try to remember everything in the following bullets and add a couple new ones:
  • External pockets that face upwards when bag is on your back and are big and sturdy enough to hold the biggest iPads
  • Bag designed for be set down/stashed vertically (same orientation as when it’s on your back) with a flattened and rubber-reinforced bottom surface a la Mono gig bags (industry leader in ergonomic guitar/drum/DJ bags; ex: https://monocreators.com/products/verti ... case-black
  • I explained this much better in my original post, but sousa bags need a heavy-duty horizontal handle right above the backpack straps as an ergonomic aid to help get the bag on your back without flailing around or putting all the weight on a single strap while picking it up (ex: you would grab the new strap with one hand, slip your opposite arm through the first backpack strap; this is also a feature in the Mono bags, so take a look to see what I mean)
  • Strap hardware and zipper needs to be extra heavy duty
  • A bungee net or 6-8 attachment rings on the front of the bag to attach a music stand, for example
  • Backpack straps placed to maximize mobility for all heights
  • Modular internal padding to accommodate everything from a 14K to a 20K
  • Extra padding/rigidity around valves
  • Offer a non-leather (vegan) version at least as an option
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Tubainsauga

Post by Tubainsauga »

Aside from higher straps than a Gard Bag, I feel a fairly large, padded pocket essentially inside the bell of the sousaphone would be useful. Large enough for a microphone and a long XLR cable at least. An accessory that would also be handy would be a small pouch that could velcro onto the backside of the valve section, large enough for a mouthpiece, neck and bits, and valve oil for those of use who like to go naked.
ChaFro
lurker
lurker

Post by ChaFro »

I really like what was mentioned above. I'd also like casters on the bottom and a carrying handle that you can utilize to pull it if necessary. On a large, external pocket, I know that I would appreciate some Molle webbing so that we could attach another bag or two, carrying mics, cables, gaff tape, strap a folding stand to it, etc.
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

In addition to the comments by LTrain, I would like a bag that is easy to pick up and maneuver. I have a Wessex sousaphone gig bag for my helicon and frankly, it’s a pain to transport. Once it is on the back, it’s not too bad but getting it there and back off is a real pain. And even more so is the lack of well placed handles when lifting, taking in and out of the car, etc. The handles are on the sides and too far apart to be useful in that sense. Some well placed handles on the front and top would have been nice. As for the pockets, a padded pocket or pouch to safely store the neck, bits and mouthpieces. The outside pocket is a good size on the Wessex but has no padding. A pocket or punch specifically designed and padded for the neck and bits would be a nice plus.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341