Sewanee Summer Music Festival

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

Sewanee Summer Music Festival

Post by TexasBassBone »

Hi folks, my name is Derek Ream, Im a bass trombonist located in The Colony Texas, 15min. north of Dallas. I wanted to let yall folks know that the SSMF will be needing some good tubas, they usually take 4 for the whole 5 week festival, I went there this past summer, and since Im a returning student, I automatically get re-accepted, as would you if you audition and get for this year and go again next year.They are doing really awesome material, last year they did Mahler Symphony #1, Wagner Overture to Renzi,the Ride of the valkyries, Mendelssohn's Reformation Symphony,Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphisis, and other great pieces I totally forgot about, so, I thought this would be the perfect place to set up an unofficial "announcment" for the SSMF, they will be doing lots of great rep. for low brass, we had a brass choir last year, James Box conducted a lot, to see there web site click the web link:http://www2.sewanee.edu/ssmf

Hope to see yall there!!
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

Post by TexasBassBone »

cc_tuba_guy wrote:
I went there this past summer, and since Im a returning student, I automatically get re-accepted, as would you if you audition and get for this year and go again next year.
So, if the tubist is returning, can new applicants bump them out or is the position "tenured"?
Returning students will be put "above" new members when going to apply the next year, so yes, new members will be accepted based on if all returning tubist come back, which never happens, and their audition, Im pretty sure maybe 1 might come back, but for all 4 tubists to come back is not looking like that will happen due to the fact that 1 of them just graduated from MSM and she is now teaching/performing in New York, so, she said she wants to go to Tanglewood, which I can see her making it without a problem.
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

hi

Post by TexasBassBone »

FYI, the tuba instructor is Bernard Flythe, he's awesome, he lives in Tenn. not too far from Sewanee. Ryan Anthony, James Box, and some great horn player make up the brass facutly with Bernard Flythe.
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

hi

Post by TexasBassBone »

Oh, and I forgot to add, James Paul is the music Director and Conductor of the Sewanee Symphony, which is one of the 2 student orchestras, Which are both of equal ability.
vincej
bugler
bugler

tuba spots

Post by vincej »

Just to clarify, the amount of tubists they normally take is 2 to 3, last year they wanted to experiment and see if having 4 was a better or worse idea- so I'm pretty sure that they won't do that again next year.
I was there last year, and I can tell you that last I heard I know for sure that 3 of the 4 of us are NOT trying out again- so if anybody wants to do it- I highly recommend it. This will be the 50th anniversary of the festival, so there should be some pretty cool rep to be played.

-VINCE
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

hi

Post by TexasBassBone »

hey vince, nice to see ya, thanks for the clarification, wow, are you going back?