News from Philly

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Barney wrote:It includes a picture of Carol with a PT-6P
Okay, NOW I can say she's a cutie. But I'm still not flirting. In the words of my 21-year-old niece, that would be "gross".

Rick "disgusting, perhaps, but not gross" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: News from Philly

Post by Rick Denney »

Posaune2 wrote:I will try to keep you all posted when things are a little more settled.
Thank you.

Rick "who is doing a project in Philly that presents opportunities" Denney
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Rick Denney wrote:Flirtation? I think you are projecting!
Hmmm.... Could be.

:oops: Okay, I've tucked in my shirt; but what does my beer-belly have to do with flirting, anyway?
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

JHardisk wrote:This is more than overdue.. Congratulations to Carol! I heard her play when she was just finishing high school at Mendez. She sounded just as fantastic as she does now. Hard work pays off, and she exemplifies that.
Ditto. I sat next to Carol in a tuba-euph ensemble at Interlochen in the summer of 2003. Indeed she had wonderful tuba tone, great sense of rhythm, remarkable breath control--just an easy, relaxed, beautiful sound.
Hearing so much about Philly makes me miss home... I can't wait for a return visit to hear the orchestra with its new tubist!
As one who was born and raised in Philly, I now have a new excuse to come home and visit my family. Besides, I haven't heard the orchestra live since they moved to the Kimmel Center from the Academy of Music.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

One of my co-workers asked me about the newspaper article about Carol.

I responded with an unintended pun,

"Yeah, the whole tuba world is buzzing."
Last edited by Steve Marcus on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

Steve Marcus wrote:"Yeah, the whole tuba world is buzzing."
Yes, it would seem that Jantsch-mania is sweeping across America. When are we going to the see the MTV special "Carol Jantsch: Behind the Music"?
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

anonymous4 wrote:Yes, it would seem that Jantsch-mania is sweeping across America. When are we going to the see the MTV special "Carol Jantsch: Behind the Music"?
And when is K-Fed going to start bothering her? :x
Perhaps she will need these guys as body guards to put him in his place.

Marty "who was blown away by her Khachaturian sample, especially the low register" Neilan
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Interesting, fabulous, and congrats to Carol! Here at work they seem to have disabled the ability to listen to these kinds of files (always returns an error, now) so I'll have to wait for this weekend and hope my home internet doesn't time out during the download, so I can listen. Or maybe someone can email an mp3 to me.

I wonder....might this be at least a minor shot in the arm for orchestras and classical music? Maybe get the attention of a few who otherwise wouldn't ever have thought about going to hear the symphony? Or playing an instrument?

I also wonder how long it will be before tuba is a "sissy girl instrument" like flute!!! And all the heavy guys with fat cheeks will have to play something else, like violin, because of all the grade school girls who will take up tuba now.

MA
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

MaryAnn wrote:And all the heavy guys with fat cheeks will have to play something else, like violin, because of all the grade school girls who will take up tuba now.

MA
I never would have taken up the tuba if I thought I wasn't going to meet cute babes! 8)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
louish_006
bugler
bugler

That is a real inspiration

Post by louish_006 »

First of all, congrats to Carol. I think this is awesome and great and just gives me more motivation to practice. I'm just 19 and starting my bachelors in Quebec city and practice my excerpts at least 2 hours a day. This just makes me want to practice more and more, but hey....gotta have some kind of life. But anyways, with my small 5 hours a day of concentrated practice, I just hope that one day I'll have the chance to get an orchestral job. Finally, congrats to Carol for that awesome breakthrough. Hope this audition might inspire some people. :lol:
pulseczar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by pulseczar »

I think this intimidates more than inspires, but wow. Carol's amazing. Huge congrats to her. I definitely wanna go down to Philly and see her play one day now.
BassBlatt
pro musician
pro musician

Question about new Philly Tuba Player

Post by BassBlatt »

From what I've heard - she sounds great on solos. Has anyone heard her play orchestral exerpts? Cause - well - she did win an orchestral job.

Just wondering.
BassBlatt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BassBlatt »

Umm - no.
Gator
bugler
bugler

Re: Question about new Philly Tuba Player

Post by Gator »

mgilbert wrote:
BassBlatt wrote:From what I've heard - she sounds great on solos. Has anyone heard her play orchestral exerpts? Cause - well - she did win an orchestral job.

Just wondering.
I felt a seismic disturbance in GA at approximately the same time she was playing Fountains for the audition committee, does that count?
:shock:
Fountains was not on the list this time. (which is actually a good idea). :wink:
Gator
bugler
bugler

Post by Gator »

Doc wrote:Fountains is a real ball-buster to really do it right. It separates the men from the boys...and...uh... the women from the girls. I'm confident Carol would nail the hell out of it.

Doc
Yes...Fountains is a real ball-buster BUT it is a real POS! You play for about one minute, there is very little good music to play and it is a waste of valuable time for the committee. Even when it performed in the orchestra, with a real pipe organ, the tuba is seldom heard. IMO...not a good piece to ask on an audition as there are many other pieces that are more revealing of a musical talent. Fountains may be impressive to the trombonist on the committee but I'm sure the piece leaves the trumpet horn and non-brass committee members (in the context of audition) scratching their heads.

:roll:
Gator
bugler
bugler

Post by Gator »

Doc wrote:I would expect it be used for the sightreading or section playing portion of the audition. And, of course, they may want to just see how well you bust your balls. Regardless, you had better have brass balls that drag the ground.

Doc
Sightreading..maybe but not realistic. Section playing would be a no.

Generally, all the section pieces are rehearsed by the trombone section BEFORE the audition. Most orchestra musicians do not have the time to go through non-standard, fringe repertoire before the audition and rehearsing Fountains is time consuming. Bruckner, Tchaikovsky and Mahler are great to ask and worth the valuable time that is available. Also keep in mind, the parts to Fountains are rental, not available and need permission from the publisher to be used.

The bass trombone has much of this with the tuba but the tenors have very little and it is not a difficult piece for them. BUT if I were a bass trombonist and my new music director (who did not hire me) would ask me to play this in a final round with tuba applicants, I would be messing in my pants!

Yes...it is difficult but way too much emphasis is placed upon this piece by many tubist in the USA. Many tuba players in major symphony orchestras may have only one or two chances to play this in their entire carreer.

An impressive piece for the stupid, a waste of time for others.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

MaryAnn wrote: I also wonder how long it will be before tuba is a "sissy girl instrument" like flute!!! And all the heavy guys with fat cheeks will have to play something else, like violin, because of all the grade school girls who will take up tuba now.
MA
Interesting thought!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

I agree with you for the most part, Gator...I think Fountains is emphasized way too much compared to its importance in the repertoire.
But the purpose of the audition is not only to find the best musical fit for the orchestra, although that's the main goal - sometimes, with as many as 100+ applicants showing up for a tuba position, there just has to be a quick way of weeding out those who are less qualified. Fountains is HARD, unless you've got great technique, and even then it's not easy. So it should stand to reason that those players who can't put forth a good effort, making a solid sound in the low register on Fountains in an audition setting, are not going to win the job. Fountains, like Bydlo, can be a really convenient way to weed out those players who don't represent the "total package".
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

Seems to me that Fountains is kicking enough butt to be whined about. Suck it up and practice. Carol is a phenom who practices. That is the only inspiration anyone needs.

Chuck"who admits his failings openly and who feels that Fountains is a GREAT leveler(in the literal and figurtive sense)"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Question about new Philly Tuba Player

Post by Steve Marcus »

bloke wrote:
Gator wrote:Fountains was not on the list this time. (which is actually a good idea). :wink:
Everything is always on "the list".
sightreading
Besides, Carol will be playing Fountains with the orchestra in their 2006-2007 season.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia