College Auditions

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott Sutherland »

I normally have my students prepare one or two movements of a solo (usually the Haddad, Broughton, or Marcello in F), a rochut or bordogni etude, plus three orchestral excerpts (usually the Ride, Prokofiev 5, Meistersinger, Sym Metaph. or Planets).

I would prepare the first movement of the Hindemith (plus maybe the cadenza at the end of the third movement), a legato etude and a few orchestral excerpts. Make a list of your prepared rep for each of the members of the audition committee so that they may determine what they would like to hear.

Good luck!
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

That sounds like a good idea, just make sure that you some what familiar with the whole sonata (just in case the professor or audition pannel wants to hear more).
[/post]
hurricane_harry
bugler
bugler

Post by hurricane_harry »

i used the hartley suite for my audidtion. it seemed to go pretty well.
Harry Phillips IV
Miraphone 1291.5
Yamaha 822-S
clagar777
3 valves
3 valves

Post by clagar777 »

I played the Ewazen Concerto.
Tubaguy56
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguy56 »

I did carnival of venice for mine, VW is another great one for college auditions, I would stay away from the Gregson, esp the first movement, it seems a little too popular....
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

Popular as in played often, or as in style?
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

Tubaguy56 wrote:I would stay away from the Gregson, esp the first movement, it seems a little too popular....
I would disagree with this statement. I think it's a fine audition piece as it has some lyrical and technical qualities. When I auditioned, I had all of the Gregson ready and the second mvmt. of the Broughton. Ultimately, there really is no wrong piece as long as it shows the best of your abilities. But I'm probably wrong... :lol:

Ralph
Albertibass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Albertibass »

i myself am in the same situation, (on the way to college the year after this one), and what ive been told by my band director, and friends in college, is that the difficulty of the piece isnt as important as is the music you make out of it. I thought i could play Theme and Variations on Blue Bells of Scotland, but then i listened to myself one day, and it was a mess. The technical stuff was fine, it just really didnt sound like music.

well thats my 2 cents.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Play something you won't be embarrassed with. It needs to be difficult, but something not too difficult. I'd stay away from the Hindemith Sonata (ensemble problems every time I played it). A movement from Effie (Wilder) would be good. There's nothing wrong with doing something without accompaniment, unless they specify you need an accompanist.