"Military Band Studies for Tuba", out of print?

The bulk of the musical talk
kathott
bugler
bugler

"Military Band Studies for Tuba", out of print?

Post by kathott »

Hello,
I'm looking for a copy of the "Military Band Studies", formerly published by Cundy-Bettoney. I am also seeking a "band excerpt book", if such a creature exists.
Why isn't there such a book, considering the long wind band tradition in the U.S.?
Thank you,
Kathott
Last edited by kathott on Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Copyright problems make the task too daunting.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Cundy-Bettoney was bought by Carl Fischer many years ago.

My sources tell me that this book was originally written in 1891. I don't think there are any problems with copyright. The problem is that this book is so old that Carl Fischer can't make any residual money from it.

I wish I could use some of the method books I used when I began in band almost 40 years ago. But, alas, no one will make money from them, so they have gone to the big publishing repository in the sky.

:cry:
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

LoyalTubist wrote: My sources tell me that this book was originally written in 1891. I don't think there are any problems with copyright. The problem is that this book is so old that Carl Fischer can't make any residual money from it.
Can you explain what you mean here? If the book was actually copyrighted in 1891 and anyone has a copy, I would be intertested in getting back in print. The question becomes, does anyone still play band charts from that far back?

Thanks,
dwaskew
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwaskew »

how can one get a copy of the Tyrell Eb book?

D. AsKew
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

If you refer to 40 Advanced Studies for Eb Bass, check with Dan Oberloh.

www.oberloh.com
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

The only books I have seen of this series lately are for clarinet. Carl Fischer will not print anything that it cannot earn money with. They don't usually sell public domain materials.
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

LoyalTubist wrote:The only books I have seen of this series lately are for clarinet. Carl Fischer will not print anything that it cannot earn money with. They don't usually sell public domain materials.
Isn't the Arban's trumpet book in the PD, as well as St. Jacome, not to mention Klosé for clarinet, etc.? If the market's big enough, they'll sell it.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

And, of course, Carl Fisher may not give permission to copy one of their out-of-print books, because that may indicate demand to republish, so we're all still $(&%^#! anyway!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
dwaskew
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwaskew »

Thanks!

dwa

If you refer to 40 Advanced Studies for Eb Bass, check with Dan Oberloh. [/quote]
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

iiipopes wrote:And, of course, Carl Fisher may not give permission to copy one of their out-of-print books, because that may indicate demand to republish, so we're all still $(&%^#! anyway!
If you have the above with an 1891 copyright on it, you can legally do whatever you would like with it. Copy it, publish, display it online, display it on a billboard, make a movie of it, whatever you can imagine.

As to whether things will make money, a good example of something that has been around forever and still sells:

Bach Inventions for any 2 instruments.

New versions come out every year from various publishers and still there are more versions appearing. They also seem to sell!!!

Carl Fischer is probably directing their advertising and marketing to something else currently. Would they make money on a tuba book, probably. But are they known for Tuba publications and would people look their now, probably not.

Would it make since from me as CImarron Music to publish Oboe Quartets now, probably not unless I was going gear the company in the direction. On the other hand, if there is an old tuba excerpt book that is in PD I would be and am extremely intrerested in getting the book back in print. Would it make money, not sure, but to me getting music in print is not only about making money. It is about getting GOOD charts or historically significant pieces back in print.

If anyone is interested, here are some projects coming up that I almost guarantee will not earn any money, but I think they should be in print.

Viola, Oboe and Tuba piece by Vaclav Nelhybel (unpublished)

2 Nelhybel Trombone Quartets

Commissioned Brass 5tets that were first published by JW Pepper in the late 1800's. I am on the road, but I believe there were 12. These are nice charts and are intersting for the time period

Like the 5tets above, another book of 4tets.

I firmly believe these pieces should be in print and will be valuable (musically) additions to the Brass repertoire.

Wishing everyone well,
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Even if you have a 1st edition with the 1891 copyright, you would need to be sure it actually did expire, and was not renewed later on in a subsequent edition.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

iiipopes wrote:Even if you have a 1st edition with the 1891 copyright, you would need to be sure it actually did expire, and was not renewed later on in a subsequent edition.
Do the arithmetic and you'll see that there's no way for an 1891 published work, even with renewals to be still under US copyright. An 1891 work was eligible for a coypright term of 28 years plus a non-automatic renewal term of 28 years, which means that its copyright ran out in 1947 at the latest.

In fact, materials coyprighted in the US prior to 1923 are all in the public domain, renewals notwithstanding.
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

As Chuck stated, if you have something with a copyright date before 1923 the piece would be free to do whatever you choose to do with it.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I had a friend who worked for Carl Fischer when I lived in New Jersey. He was the one who told me about this. One thing you might notice: Beelzebub, was composed in the late 1800s. When the copyright ran out, some editing was done to the piano accompaniment. That necessitated the need for another copyright... so some of you might have a version of Beelzebub which has a later copyright. I found an original copy of it in an antique shop. It's virtually the same thing--a couple of clefs were changed in the piano part.
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

LoyalTubist wrote:I had a friend who worked for Carl Fischer when I lived in New Jersey. He was the one who told me about this. One thing you might notice: Beelzebub, was composed in the late 1800s. When the copyright ran out, some editing was done to the piano accompaniment. That necessitated the need for another copyright... so some of you might have a version of Beelzebub which has a later copyright.
You have to be careful--if you're going to copy or tinker with the Host suites for military band, be sure you get your hands on a 1921/1922 Boosey edition or a manuscript copy.

The later postwar Boosey editions added extra parts (like bari sax) and are still under copyright and contain their own special set of errors.
kathott
bugler
bugler

Re: "Military Band Studies for Tuba", out of print?

Post by kathott »

Any recent leads on this old "band excerpts" book, now of print? Although I am not a regular band player, I have made copies over the years of demanding parts which I have played or encountered. These are for my own enjoyment, or to throw at an unsuspecting student who utters an uniformed slur regarding band music.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

I found my photocopy of The Tuba Player's Studio by Paul de Ville. No publisher's info. I have 23 pages and am probably missing some. It's mostly transcriptions of classical orchestral pieces, plus some original tone poems for band including The Death of Custer, by Lee Johnson. Many of the arrangements are by Theo Moses-Tobani, including the Schubert Unfinished Symphony, Fidelio Overture and 5th Symphony of Beethoven, selections from Verdi's "Attila," and Wagner selections from "Rienzi," "Siegfried," "Gotterdammerung," "Meistersinger (in Bb)," and "Lohengrin." A lot of stuff that I wouldn't want to play on a CC tuba.

>mbeastep
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

According to my extensive internet research, Paul de Ville was the author of the Universal Guide to the Saxophone, which still seems to be a standard work. Theodore Moses-Tobani was born in Hamburg in 1855, moved to the U. S. while young, then back to Europe after he showed himself to be a prodigy as a violinist and composer. The family moved back to the U. S. in 1870 and he wound up working for Carl Fisher where he wrote so much that the company forced him to write under pseudonyms. His most successful composition was "Hearts and Flowers," in 1893. He wrote it in half an hour. He died in 1933. A Fantasia on "Auld Land Syne" excerpted in the book is listed as Moses-Tobani's Opus 454.