Tuba water key History question....

The bulk of the musical talk
Bondejohnson
bugler
bugler

Tuba water key History question....

Post by Bondejohnson »

Does anyone know when the water key/spit valve became standard option on brass instruments - specifically the tuba. I am trying to date an old Bauer tuba from Markneukirchen. Since that area of Germany has been making musical instruments for a billion years it has been difficult to put a year/decade with the horn.

Bonde
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

Judging from instruments that have come through my shop, Cerveny tubas had water keys by or before 1894, Wurlitzer tubas had water keys by the 1880's, and I have seen Civil War-era instruments with water keys.

The keys on a keyed bugle were for pitch purposes, not water keys.

I would suspect that the tuba player in Berlioz' orchestra, shortly after having an F tuba gurgling with condensation in an exposed passage in rehearsal, had a water key added, if it did not have one to start with ;^)
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

I suspect it was invented by a brass instrument maker who saw all those twirling horns and didn't want anyone dropping their tubas emptying the condensation.

tongue placed firmly in cheek :roll:
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

The ophicleide that I used actually had one in the "bocal" (no kidding) and several along the length of the instrument (kidding)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

:twisted:
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

I just e-mailed Denis Wedgwood about availabilty and will report back what he says.

Jeff