Best Tuba Player on the Planet

The bulk of the musical talk
pianolance
bugler
bugler

Best Tuba Player on the Planet

Post by pianolance »

I don't know if this thread has ever been done before, but what is your choice (don't give long lists of great players, just a single name) for the greatest all around tuba player ever, alive or dead? Arnold Jacobs? Bill Bell? Roger Bobo? Rex Conner? Tommy Johnson? Cast your vote. I will get the ball rolling with my vote for Roger Bobo.

By the way, just for the sake of throwing this out there - if I never hear anyone humming through and playing their tuba again, that would be toooo soon for me :lol:
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

Ok, I'll bite...

John Fletcher
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

John Tommy Johnson
Pure Sound
bugler
bugler

Post by Pure Sound »

Gene Pokorny!!!
RRW
bugler
bugler

Best tuba player

Post by RRW »

Last edited by RRW on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Murrow
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Richard Murrow »

John Fletcher, Musician/Tuba Player
THE TUBA
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by THE TUBA »

Arnold Jacobs
[/post]
tubajon
bugler
bugler

Who's the best?

Post by tubajon »

Don Harry. But question is very strange.
greatk82
3 valves
3 valves

Post by greatk82 »

Justin Timberlake....anyone?
Arkietuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Arkietuba »

The best solo player I've heard is Pat Sheridan...that guy is crazy...he makes the hardest passages seem effortless and not to mention the musicality in his performance...he is truely the best solo player (but it's so hard to choose just one).
Udi
bugler
bugler

Post by Udi »

I can't say who's the best tuba player on the planet.
I find inspiration in the way Nat McIntosh plays sousaphone in the context of popular music music. To my ears, he found a very relevant and unique sound pallete and atitude to playing contemporary non classical tuba. He also has fantastic groove.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

any links or mp3s available of Jim Dorschner? I'm not looking for p2p stuff, just a cut to give a listen. I found a link to the Rainbow Valley Dutchmen albums available, but I'd like to hear something first.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I don't think there is one best tuba player on the planet. Different players are better than others in different genres of music. The best soloist would not necessarily be best in an orchestra, while the best in an orchestra would not necessarily be best playing jazz, etc. Also, tastes in what is best vary and when you get to choosing between virtuoso players it is all a matter of taste.

I personally very much like the tone and style of Walter Hilgers from recording I have heard, but I also like many others as well.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I often wonder if the best is some supergenius player at an obscure college, band, or orchestra in Asia or Europe who we'll never hear of.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
JustinLerma
bugler
bugler

Post by JustinLerma »

I have two favs.

Tommy J.
and
Abe Torchinsky
Washington, D.C.
Meinel Weston 45SLP
PT6
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Post by SirCharls »

Al Baer
Tommy Johnson
Gene Pokorny
Mike Roylance

All great but in different ways, so there ya go.
Principal Tuba, Colorado Springs Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Tuba, Apollo Chamber Brass
Tuba-Euphonium Instructor- Colorado State University-Pueblo
------------------------------
https://sircharlso.wixsite.com/apollochamberbrass
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Post by MikeS »

First off, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Velvet Brown. I believe she deserves a spot on anyone's short list.

I'll limit my response to the best playing I've ever heard live. A number of years back I played in a group backing up Steve Sykes as the featured soloist. The performance was in an arena and our "green room" was a hockey locker room. Steve was in a corner warming up. He was playing so quietly you almost had to stick your head in the bell to hear him but every attack was spot on, his tone was gorgeous, and even the scales he played were alive and musical. Steve is a terrific musician, showman, arranger and conductor. He's also a great storyteller. If you ever have a chance to share a plate of curry and a beer with him don't pass it up.
lgb&dtuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by lgb&dtuba »

MikeS wrote:

I'll limit my response to the best playing I've ever heard live. A number of years back I played in a group backing up Steve Sykes as the featured soloist. The performance was in an arena and our "green room" was a hockey locker room. Steve was in a corner warming up. He was playing so quietly you almost had to stick your head in the bell to hear him but every attack was spot on, his tone was gorgeous, and even the scales he played were alive and musical. Steve is a terrific musician, showman, arranger and conductor. He's also a great storyteller. If you ever have a chance to share a plate of curry and a beer with him don't pass it up.
I second Steve Sykes. A great player, all around nice guy and party animal.

He also saved me a bunch of money by letting me hear him play my old Sanders/Cerveny, thereby proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that it's the player and not the horn that's the biggest factor. I won't be replacing that horn until I can play it as well as he did. I did replace the mouthpiece on his advice, though :-)

Jim
ZNC Dandy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ZNC Dandy »

Neptune wrote:I don't think there is one best tuba player on the planet. Different players are better than others in different genres of music. The best soloist would not necessarily be best in an orchestra, while the best in an orchestra would not necessarily be best playing jazz, etc. Also, tastes in what is best vary and when you get to choosing between virtuoso players it is all a matter of taste.

I personally very much like the tone and style of Walter Hilgers from recording I have heard, but I also like many others as well.
I was wondering between the two of us who would be the first name Walter Hilgers! I wish that NDR/Wand Bruckner 8 was more widely available, so more people could hear what the definition of TONE PRODUCTION is. I definately agree with you on the other points as well. Everyone has their areas of strength.
Last edited by ZNC Dandy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
samulirask
bugler
bugler

Post by samulirask »

Jens-Bjorn Larsen is quite amazing.