Double Bell Euphonium

The bulk of the musical talk
druby
bugler
bugler

Post by druby »

I already posted a lengthy reply to Mr. Keller on Dave Werden's TubaEuph web site here. However, I also would be interested in feedback on experience playing double bell's. I mostly use mine for Tuba Christmas and for summer pops events.

Doug
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I've never found any music written for double-belled euphonium, and the ones I have (AND the other ones I've played) were more like double-belled baritones; not great for euphonium music... NONE-THE-LESS, if you're soloing, especially doing 19th century solos, it gives you that much more of a palate to work with. (Carnival of Venice can be out of this world... ) :shock: :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I have a double-bell that I resurrected a while back. I ain't talkin' about what I have in it because I may want to sell it one day. for the time being, it's not much more than a curiousity... maybe for a TubaChristmas. Save your money for something a little more practical.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

windshieldbug wrote:I've never found any music written for double-belled euphonium <snip>
"Light Cavalry Overture" (Franz von Suppé) has markings to play 'trombone bell' after about the first 16 measures. We have one player in our band who has a DB euph. We asked him to play it that way... once. Then changed our mind. His DB euph is a 1934 Buescher and the tromb bell sounded more like an alto horn -- too tinny sounding.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Rick F wrote:His DB euph is a 1934 Buescher and the tromb bell sounded more like an alto horn -- too tinny sounding.
Remember, trombones in 1934 were, well, much more tinny sounding, too! :shock: :D

(but thanks for the music reference!)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Evil Ronnie
bugler
bugler

Post by Evil Ronnie »

The Northshore Concert Band has a section of four euphoniums. For our Forth of July concert, an outdoor gig on a local golf course, one of the guys brought out his double bell horn,a nice looking four valve, silver, engraved U.S.N.,don't remember which instrument company made it.

Our four players include I think a couple of Willsons, a MW, and a Yamaha. We did the Holst Suite in F that evening, and have to say that we were all surprised that evening by the smaller sound of that horn rather than what we were used to in rehearsals and on other performances of the Holst.

But for a conversation piece, I'd love to own one.

I have a g bass trombone with no valve and a wooden handle, proudly displayed in my living room. :D

:twisted:
druby
bugler
bugler

More feedback on playing double bells

Post by druby »

IMO, the only double bells that would sound reasonable in a modern concert band are the late vintage (1930's and 1940's) C.G. Conn 30I or 36I models. These were essentially 4-valve Artist horns with the double-bell attachment. These were the horn typicaly used by the D.C. military bands (in satin silver, gold-wash bells, and fancy engraving) just prior to their converting to Bessons in the 40' and 50's. The sound on the large bell would be similar to my 1968 Connstellation.

A couple of words about the sound and playability of my 1941 Holton. It is in superb original unrestored condition. The valves have never been replated and compression is good on all 5 valves. While this horn may not play as good as when it left Elkhorn, Wis. in 1941, it is darn close.

The small side does sound like a Bb Alto horn rather than a trombone. I suspect the sound is even smaller than a modern english baritone. This is typical of all double-bells since these horns are not AS cylindrical as a trombone, have larger bores, but very small bells (about 6"). They do not resonate like a euphonium nor do they project well like a trombone. So while it can blend with a 'bone section, it cannot replace a trombone on an exposed part. On my horn, the small side actually plays well in tune, but I have to pull the 5th valve tuning slide out all the way to match pitch with the Euphonium side of the horn (which tends to be flat anyway).

The large side of the horn has a few WAY flat notes which apparently are fairly typical of Holtons (low Bb, A, and Ab). These same notes are pretty well in tune on the small side (go figure). The tone of the Euphonium side is thin compared with a modern horn, even though mine is an upright bell. This is to be expected just by looking at the bell section that has a smaller bottom bow and a much later flare than on my Besson Euphonium (or even than on either of my Conns). I can darken the horn up by playing a Wick 4AY but it really hurts intonation (which is problematic to begin with) and makes the high range hard work. This horn plays best with a Bach 6 1/2AL or smaller. Then the high range sings and the horn plays better in tune. However, as Rick points out, it doesn't blend with modern "English-style" Euphoniums (most of which are now made in Germany or Switzerland anyway!)

It is good to hear there is some classical literature written for the horn, but my suspicion is that these tended to be used for their novelty effect by the band soloists of the first half of the 20th century or as doubling instruments in ensembles.

Doug