Sousaphone suggestions?

The bulk of the musical talk
ArnoldGottlieb
4 valves
4 valves

Sousaphone suggestions?

Post by ArnoldGottlieb »

So, the older I get the less fun carrying my really heavy but great sounding 1930's (ex Chuck Jackson) King sousaphone is. I've heard plenty of talk about a Conn 14K's and I'm definitely looking for one. I'm wondering if anybody has any other suggestions for sousaphones that: play in tune, are on the lighter side weight wise, and of course sound great.
Thanks in advance and if you have anything for sale please PM me.
Thanks.
Peace.
ASG
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I don't know what you use it for, but you might consider an Eb sousa, like a Conn 26K brass. The one I have has a very nice, clear, tuba sound.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

A good (meaning, pre-Macmillan era) Conn 14K is really no lighter than your King. If you have to go really lighter, don't get something like a new flimsy Jupiter or such. You may have to go with an Eb, at the expense of some lower register notes. But Conn souzys are really good for "false" pedals, and the Eb may actually have good "real" pedals as well, although I've not had the pleasure of playing one. As I have posted before, pull 3 so 23 combinations are in tune, have the top loop of 1 converted to a slide so you can pull 12, 13 and 123 to pitch, and you don't need a 4th valve, also saving weight. 3rd ledger line Ab on the Eb souzy is played open as a "false" pedal, and everything goes down chromatically from there: G-2; Gb-1; F-12; E nat-23; true pedal Eb-open.
Last edited by iiipopes on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Post by WakinAZ »

A 14K should be about 25 lbs. Others on this board have recommended a fiberglass Conn with a brass bell for a good lightweight compromise.

I will tell you that I saw a guy play the hell out of a fiberglass souzy of unknown key/origin at Disneyland this summer. He had spraypainted the whole thing (except brass parts) with a glitter gold paint. In context, it looked and sounded pretty good. He was in the "New Orleans" part of the park in a walking jazz combo.

Eric "sousaphone coveter" L.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

WakinAZ wrote:I will tell you that I saw a guy play the hell out of a fiberglass souzy of unknown key/origin at Disneyland this summer.
A friend of mine who used to play down there tells me those particular horns were/are custom made lightweight carbon fibre Yamahas to weigh as little as possible since the guys playing them have to wear them all day.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

I find that my Conn 30k Helicon works really well for most Sousaphone type gigs. My municipal band has those old Kings and my Conn weighs a whole lot less. I think the ergonomics are much much better and how the weight is distributed on your body makes a huge difference in your comfort and well being.

Doing a parade or a standup gig with a Sousie and my neck/shoulder/back hurt for days.
With the Helicon I could play all day with no pain - plus it has a huge sound, easy to play and good intonation with just middle C being flat with first valve but very workable with 1-3. I regularly do 3 hour jazz gigs with it and also use it for the Municipal Band parades although the director doesn't like that because it doesn't have a shiny bell. :roll:
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Believe it.

Eric "who followed Bloke's advice on the various Conns and Kings when he bought a souzy (Conn c. 1930 32K) and did not regret it" L.

I ended up selling it because I didn't play it that much, and boy do I regret it. Is anyone getting tired of me whining about that from time to time?
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

bloke wrote: The Elkhart-made sister instrument, the 36K, is a featherweight.
How much do you estimate a 36K weighs and what roughly does a 14K weigh?
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

bloke wrote:missing the brass-to-fiberglass O-rings
As long as we're picking your brain, Joe, is this common? Were there "Monday" and "Friday" horns that came off the Conn assembly line, or did they disappear during repairs/restorations?

Eric "who notes that silver spray paint will brighten the sound" L.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

And in addition to the Conn 14K, if you see one of its older cousins, a Pan American or a Cavalier, it's basically the same instrument with the same construction. But those two probably have a bit thicker brass on them as well, and so there is no weight savings. But great intonation, only a slightly flat 5th partials, and great "false" pedal tones.

I concur with the valves on the 20K. Having played one on the field, my opinion is that the problems with the intonation on a 20K are the valve block having the ports reoriented for the shorter throw. Besides, it's a souzy. If you want short valves, play a trumpet.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.