Rudolf Meinl

The bulk of the musical talk
chhite

Post by chhite »

mTaUrBkA wrote:How versatile do you think the 4/4 rudy meinls are? (which actually seem to be closer to other 5/4s?)
I've used my 4/4 in solos, quintets, and large bands without changing a thing. I've seen the 5/4 used in quintets although it would not be my choice. If I were to buy another it would be the 5/4 just to have a little more gas(or GAS) when I wanted it. Combined with my Rudi 5/4 F I have little need for anything else at the moment(insert sigh from wife here).

The horn at TE is listed as the 4345 which, as I explained in an earlier post, is the model in between the 3/4 and 4/4. I preferred the rotor version over the piston model and the same went for the piston vs. rotor CC, which most of you have not seen unless you've been to the factory or the MusikMesse. My opinion of the horn was primarily jaded by the less than solid feel of the bracing around the valveset. It just wasn't as solid as I would like but the horn still played very well otherwise.

Baltimore Brass has both a 4/4 and 5/4 on their site. If you can make it to the store, try them out. Or wait to see if they're around at the end of January at the TUSAB Conference.
Geotuba
bugler
bugler
Location: Stuck in front of the percussion - now where are my ear plugs?

Post by Geotuba »

I got my 5/4 Bayreuth BBb in July and it is absolutely superb :D :D . I have briefly blogged about it here where there are also some photos. The entire register gives incredible warm tone and it is very responsive at all dynamic levels. The only negative so far is that the rotary valves have a lot of bounce from the neoprene bumpers which therefore requires careful control on release. That is very difficult especially in faster passages and I am going to have to find some time to get Ron Parch to work his magic, either replacing the bumpers with cork (although then they won't last anywhere near so long) and/or increase the tension (torque really isn't it?) on the springs.

Perfect for both orchestral and wind band work (if the CC bigots will let you into the orchestra with it ;) )

I have also used it in quintet and find that I prefer it to my older B&H EEb simply for the sound if nothing else despite having to play in the higher partials more.

As for pulling slides, so far I have figured out that I need to use the 2nd valve trigger (which was an optional extra) for the B below the staff (2-4 or 1-2-3) and possibly the G below that (1-2), then the Eb below that is 1-2-4 with no trigger, D below that is 2-3-4, Db below that is 1-3-4 and C below that is 1-2-3-4 plus trigger. I cannot play the B below that although a better player than me might figure something out!
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Piston CC's

Post by Frank Ortega »

Does anyone know if they have more than one size of piston CC tuba?
If so, has anyone tried them?
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Piston CC's

Post by ASTuba »

Frank Ortega wrote:Does anyone know if they have more than one size of piston CC tuba?
Frank,

They only have made one size of piston CC tuba. The problem is trying to find a maker of good quality piston valves in Germany that's not a totally unreasonable price. For the few 4345P CC tubas that they've made, the first ones had Nirschl valvesets, while the later ones had MW. I've seen 3 of the 4345P tubas, and the one with the Nirschl valves played better than the other 2.

I'm sure they would love to make more piston CC tubas, but at the price they would be given the weak dollar and strong Euro, I'm not sure how economically they would compete.
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

ASTuba wrote:For the few 4345P CC tubas that they've made, the first ones had Nirschl valvesets, while the later ones had MW. I've seen 3 of the 4345P tubas, and the one with the Nirschl valves played better than the other 2.
I have a 4345P, how would I find out if it is a Nirschl or MW valveset?
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

quinterbourne wrote:
ASTuba wrote:For the few 4345P CC tubas that they've made, the first ones had Nirschl valvesets, while the later ones had MW. I've seen 3 of the 4345P tubas, and the one with the Nirschl valves played better than the other 2.
I have a 4345P, how would I find out if it is a Nirschl or MW valveset?
Yeah, ditto.
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

ASTuba wrote:
Frank Ortega wrote:Does anyone know if they have more than one size of piston CC tuba?
Frank,

They only have made one size of piston CC tuba.
Are we talking about the piston bore size, or actual tuba size (ie. 4/4)? The problem with saying they made only one is that Rudy's is a true custom shop. Yes, they have some standard models, but like Alexander, they can and will make anything you want, provided you have the cash. The Army band I was in had a few 5-valve piston BBb's made. (Yes, even the fifth valve was a piston- yuk!!)
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
TubaSailor
bugler
bugler

5/4 Rudy

Post by TubaSailor »

My $.02: I've only had experience with one Rudy - the 5/4 CC. It's BIG - 22mm bore (.866") and the sound matches. The pp has a presence which is noticeably different than any other horn I've played - and the FF is massive. (think in Seismic terms) I've had the front row of every ensemble I play in turn to find out what was different (in a good way) at one time or another. I've even had compliments from the OBOE players on the sound quality. I'm still working on my proficiency with the horn, the response and breath control are improving. I haven't run into any limitations with the horn - my own limitations are much more constraining. :oops: I'd buy another (smaller?) in an instant if I could afford it! - But I'd definitely keep this one. :)
Rudy RMC50
Rudy 4345R
Mira 181-6GB
Gronitz BBb Kaiser (for sale)
Custom Kanstul 1662
King 4B
York pea-shooter
French Tuba in C
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

what a bore

Post by jeopardymaster »

I remember reading some old promotional material from Rudy Meinl (circa 1980something) crediting the 5/4 CC with a bore of .910. Yikes. 22 mm or .866 sounds a whole lot more realistic. Anyhow, they play WAAYY BIG.

Rudys have undergone considerable evolution over the years. They've had tighter wraps and more open wraps, depending, I suspect, on who did it.

As for the smaller ones, well, Les Varner showed me a 3/4 once with the warning that I'd never again be happy with my 184.

Total BS.
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

That's true that Rudy is a custom shop. So there maybe some freak instruments out there. However, on a larger scale production level, they've only made one piston CC tuba, and they've made a couple of piston F tubas. Lee had one of those F's one time and they were great.

Christian, your CC has Nirschl valves. I don't know how to tell you to see them, but I know that particular tuba had Nirschl valves.
chhite

Post by chhite »

The prototype piston F that Lee had last year began as one of those 3+2 piston horns and now it's an amazing F.

Andy, sorry to bust your chops, but Rudi does make other piston tubas that the US doesn't see unless they are special ordered. For instance, the 4/4 CC is in both piston and rotors, as is the 4345. Both the 4/4 and 5/4 BBbs are offered in piston as well. Rudi made a production version of the 4/4 F similar to Lee's prototype but it didn't play quite as well. He wanted to re-work a couple of things and then hit the market with it but I haven't seen them since March to ask about it.

Rudi's piston supplier for the last six or so years has been from a company near Frankfurt. They've been the most consistent as far as quality and delivery of product and Rudi, Jr. has been satisfied with their performance.
mTaUrBkA
3 valves
3 valves

Post by mTaUrBkA »

So it looks like a Rudy Meinl could serve a college student well in various situations? Hopefully I will have a chance to get out to Baltimore Brass or some other area to try some rudy meinls. Unfortunately, Baltimore Brass is about seven hours away :roll:
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Re: what a bore

Post by circusboy »

jeopardymaster wrote:
As for the smaller ones, well, Les Varner showed me a 3/4 once with the warning that I'd never again be happy with my 184.

Total BS.
Are you saying that Mr. Varner was incorrect? That you played the Rudi 3/4 and still love your 184?
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Scooby Tuba wrote:
jonesbrass wrote:The Army band I was in had a few 5-valve piston BBb's made. (Yes, even the fifth valve was a piston- yuk!!)
Were those the freaky 3+2 piston BBb tubas Rudy built?
You got it, Scoob. Give that man a scooby snack!

FWIW, I have visited Rudy, Jr. on more than one occasion, and love the tone of his horns. VERY well built, true old-world craftsmanship. If you like how they play, and they like how you play, you can't really go wrong with a Rudy.
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

chhite wrote:The prototype piston F that Lee had last year began as one of those 3+2 piston horns and now it's an amazing F.

Andy, sorry to bust your chops, but Rudi does make other piston tubas that the US doesn't see unless they are special ordered. For instance, the 4/4 CC is in both piston and rotors, as is the 4345. Both the 4/4 and 5/4 BBbs are offered in piston as well. Rudi made a production version of the 4/4 F similar to Lee's prototype but it didn't play quite as well. He wanted to re-work a couple of things and then hit the market with it but I haven't seen them since March to ask about it.

Rudi's piston supplier for the last six or so years has been from a company near Frankfurt. They've been the most consistent as far as quality and delivery of product and Rudi, Jr. has been satisfied with their performance.
Chris,

You're not busting my chops, I am going off of information that is old. You live in Germany, so you'd know a lot more about Rudy Meinls than I do. I am just trying to learn how to play the tuba now.

Hope to see you soon!
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Does the Pope [blank] in the woods?

Post by jeopardymaster »

Are you saying that Mr. Varner was incorrect? That you played the Rudi 3/4 and still love your 184?
Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Rudy Meinl is such a small shop, almost everything they make could be classified as "custom" in one way or another. And yes, the 17" bell BBb Rudy makes a fine college instrument. There is one in the stable at the nearby state university that sponsors the community band I play in. At the end of the season, I arrived to see the stable out for inventory, and got to blow back-to-back the Rudy, an M-W 25, and a few others. Yes, this one was a few years old, but if I didn't have my 186, it would be a viable choice.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Oh, man, Scooby. That's one of the "plumbers nightmares" !!!!!

The guy that had them built was really into brass band stuff . . . believed that the 3+1 configuration was better . . . played BBb in concert band . . . you can follow the logic to see how they were born.

Dave, if you're out there, send me a PM . . . haven't spoken with you in years.

Scoob, I owe you a box of scooby snacks!!
Gone but not forgotten: