The 'infamous' Buddy Rich Bus tapes....

Musical clipart and multimedia
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

The 'infamous' Buddy Rich Bus tapes....

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Here's the 'you-tube' link to the Buddy Rich classic bus "pep-talks". 'Mr. Warmth' is at his best! Turn up the volume (but close the door!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ssZeOZkWU" target="_blank

Regards-
mark
jonestuba@juno.com" target="_blank
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Re: The 'infamous' Buddy Rich Bus tapes....

Post by sc_curtis »

:shock: wow :shock:
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
Jeffrey Hicks
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jeffrey Hicks »

there is no excuse no matter how much you may not like someone's playing to talk to them like that.....
Conn 36K with Mike Finn "H"
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Jeffrey Hicks wrote:there is no excuse no matter how much you may not like someone's playing to talk to them like that.....
They're free to leave, as he repeatedly says. :lol:
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

An obvious cue for a sad, but funny, joke.

Buddy Rich's manager gets a phone call, asking to book Buddy.

"Buddy Rich died last week, I'm sorry to inform you."

An hour later, another call, wanting to book Buddy. Sounds like the same guy.

"Buddy died last week."

Another hour, same voice, same offer.

"Look, man, I've told you, Buddy Rich is dead. It's tough enough to deal with it, much less having you call repeatedly and keep bringing it up!"

The caller says, "Yeah, I'm sorry about that, but I was on his band last year and it just makes me so happy to hear it."
lgb&dtuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by lgb&dtuba »

No to defend him on any level, but it was a different time with different standards and practices. In many jobs it was pretty common for foremen and bosses to yell, swear and threaten. A lot of the guys acting like that were from the "greatest generation" and learned their management skills on the battlefield. Or at least in the military of that time. And passed it along. The workplace was mostly male. Political correctness and sensitivity? Not invented yet.

I've been on the receiving end of that kind of management myself. Not pleasant. But I survived it.

But looking back on it from today's perspectives is applying a different set of standards and sensibilities than what was the norm back then.

Today that kind of behavior would be several times more shocking than it was then. Not to mention actionable.

I certainly wouldn't want to return to those times myself, but having been there it isn't all that shocking somehow.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

lgb&dtuba wrote:A lot of the guys acting like that were from the "greatest generation" and learned their management skills on the battlefield. Or at least in the military of that time.
That BS wins wars? I can't believe it.
lgb&dtuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by lgb&dtuba »

Donn wrote:
lgb&dtuba wrote:A lot of the guys acting like that were from the "greatest generation" and learned their management skills on the battlefield. Or at least in the military of that time.
That BS wins wars? I can't believe it.
Read carefully. I said, "A lot of the guys acting like that...."

NOT, "A lot of guys acted like that."

Big difference. And I stand by what I was trying to communicate. Times were different and a lot of things went on then that don't go on so much now. That said, that bus tape was extreme even for then.

I suspect that pretty much anyone who went through Navy (like me) or Marine boot camps during the 50's and 60's heard just as bad. It was systematic. Part of the program. The movie Full Metal Jacket gave some of the flavor of it from those days. The reality was worse as I remember it. You didn't see much, if any, of that level of butt chewing after boot camp, though.

I spent the last few weeks of basic in recruit drum and bugle corps in San Diego (1965). The first day I marched with them I got out of step and remember to this day the DI (A Musician 1st class) kicking me in the ankle and cussing me out and yelling at me for 5 solid minutes. In front of the whole corps. Surely no worse an offense than whatever the musician had done on that bus. Last time I marched out of step, too.

Yes, Buddy Rich was a first class a$$hole. Today I'd bet the band would either quit en mass or toss him out the bus door without stopping after hearing that. But it didn't happen today.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

He sure didn't like beards, I'll give him that...

I had friends that toured with "name" bands in the 70's, and every one had a "riot act" that was read chapter and verse to the incoming plebes because the personell changed over so frequently

And it was always some version of their way or the highway, somewhere where there weren't many highways...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

windshieldbug wrote:And it was always some version of their way or the highway, somewhere where there weren't many highways...
Ray Charles' (reportedly also a pretty cranky band leader) band used to drop him off in strange neighborhoods of tour towns in order to teach him a lesson. :lol:
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

UncleBeer wrote:
windshieldbug wrote:And it was always some version of their way or the highway, somewhere where there weren't many highways...
Ray Charles' (reportedly also a pretty cranky band leader) band used to drop him off in strange neighborhoods of tour towns in order to teach him a lesson. :lol:
Gosh! I don't remember seeing that in the movie! But I guess neither did Ray! :lol: :oops:
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

I just found a CD with the 2 bus episodes I've ever heard, and some other outtakes by such luminaries as Orson Welles, Paul Anka, Col. Sanders, and The Trogs. Priceless!
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Wow! Who knew that Rich and Blagojevich were related!? :P