Me & My Tuba, Add You & Yours

The bulk of the musical talk
rocksanddirt
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Me & My Tuba, Add You & Yours

Post by rocksanddirt »

Here is me, with a '68 or so 186 in the 'practice room' (garage)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Last holiday season, with two of the loves of my life- AND my wife (no! don't hit me honey! I was only kidding!)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

This lineup is the NKU Faculty Quintet. I'm the one with the tuba. I've been with this group 22+ years and I have less seniority than any save one. Unfortunately, though, we're hanging it up. Our final concert is Sunday. Jon Gresham - the trumpet guy to my right - is retiring.

That's my 983 I'm holding, by the way.

Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

Oops - Jon is to my left in the photo. Your right.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

Neptune wrote:With my Cerveny 701 showing just how massive is the Kaiser!

Holy smokes,, talk a bot a BAT!!!!!
k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Funcoot
bugler
bugler

Post by Funcoot »

Even though these pictures don't actually include me, it does contain members of the current tuba/sousa line I am part of. These were taken before I joined. These guys sure are great friends.

Seriously, great friends.
Davy
bugler
bugler

Post by Davy »

marching with "up-right" tubas? yikes!
Gnagey-Phone CC
Edwards B-454 Bass Trombone
Shires Q-30 Tenor trombone
King 3B Trombone
Fender P Bass
Ibanez SRH-505 Bass

Army Musician

"Don't play what's there; play what's not there".
-Miles Davis
Funcoot
bugler
bugler

Post by Funcoot »

Davy wrote:marching with "up-right" tubas? yikes!
That was for concert... our county doesn't have the most money, so we don't have concert uniforms. There is only one school in the county that does.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

I figured you would be more shocked that they were marching with the string bass. :shock:

Last edited by Tubaryan12 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Funcoot
bugler
bugler

Post by Funcoot »

Tubaryan12 wrote:
I figured you be most shocked that they were marching with the string bass. :shock:
Exactly what I thought, haha. But yeah as I explained, that was us waiting for a concert, we don't have concert uniforms, most of the schools in this county don't.
zacorpus
bugler
bugler

Post by zacorpus »

n17004940_32522318_375.jpg
n17004940_32522318_375.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Waltski
bugler
bugler

Post by Waltski »

Here is me and my Amati/Kraslice 4 value rotary...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuba-G Bass
bugler
bugler

Post by Tuba-G Bass »

My new 'ish' Rudolf Meinl 5/4 BBb, just got it today from Custom Music, formally for sale on
THAT great flea market site, ya know :mrgreen:
I think it was a Floor/demo model, they said it was never owned before. :tuba:

The Rudi compared to my M&M BBb, wanna buy a M&M cheap? :P

I should have seen this coming, I put my G&W Bayamo in the receiver, it went in pretty far,
my Bach Megatone 7's shank almost vanishes, Yep, a Euro receiver :oops:
I think a visit to Dillons for a adjustable receiver is in order, or do I buy some Euro shank mpcs?
at least Tubas are not like Trombones, there's Tenor, Remington, and Bass shank sizes :mrgreen:
It sounds massive by the way, and it's easy to get rolling, I was SO set on getting a Miraphone 1291BBb 4p1rv,
then I did research on the Tubenet, the Rudi's started sounding like a better horn, the bore getting bigger sooner, and the distinctive flair of the bell, and the bugle wrap seem to make a better horn, IMHO.
Oh, its going to be a great concert season :tuba:
Cheers,
Paul Lewis
Community/Church Musician
termite
bugler
bugler

Post by termite »

I keep reading posts about how the Rudy 5/4 is better than my 1291 - is someone trying to tell me something?

Gerard
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

Waltski wrote:Here is me and my Amati/Kraslice 4 value rotary...
interesting looking mute you got there! :-)
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Tuba-G Bass wrote:Image
My new 'ish' Rudolf Meinl 5/4 BBb, just got it today from Custom Music, formally for sale on
I should have seen this coming, I put my G&W Bayamo in the receiver, it went in pretty far,
I think a visit to Dillons for a adjustable receiver is in order, or do I buy some Euro shank mpcs?
Don't mess with the receiver, buy a Euro shank mouthpiece. The Rudy doesn't actually have a receiver. What you see that looks like a receiver is actually a tube soldered over the end of the lead pipe. A receiver would attach to the *end* of the lead pipe. The mouthpiece actually sits in the end of the lead pipe in a RM tuba. To install an AGR, you would have to cut the end off the leadpipe (!) so it would not be reversible.
Tuba-G Bass
bugler
bugler

Post by Tuba-G Bass »

Hi Gerard,
In my TubeNet research [oh what a great source of Tuba knowledge! Thanks TNFJ!] :tuba:
I read that a player had a nice new 1291 BBb 5 valve just like I was saving up for, and once he
tried a Rudi 5/4 BBb, he bought it and put the 1291 on consignment.
Plus a couple of highly respected tuba players, who get to kick the tires of all sorts of quality horns, own Rudi's
I will not name names, a search will reveal them, I had a chance to pick up a older pre-Bayreuth model for less than the 1291 BBb 5 banger is going for, plus hey, it seems to be a real insider's horn, there are very few dealers in North America, the company is a small shop,
he prefers to concentrate on quality rather than quantity.

You could travel to Pennsylvania and try mine if you like :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Paul Lewis
Tuba-G Bass
bugler
bugler

Post by Tuba-G Bass »

cjk wrote:

Don't mess with the receiver, buy a Euro shank mouthpiece. The Rudy doesn't actually have a receiver. What you see that looks like a receiver is actually a tube soldered over the end of the lead pipe. A receiver would attach to the *end* of the lead pipe. The mouthpiece actually sits in the end of the lead pipe in a RM tuba. To install an AGR, you would have to cut the end off the leadpipe (!) so it would not be reversible.
Yes, I see what you are talking about, glad I asked before modifying the horn, once again,
the fine contributers to the board dispense sage advice!
Cheers,
Paul Lewis
termite
bugler
bugler

Post by termite »

Hi Gerard,
In my TubeNet research [oh what a great source of Tuba knowledge! Thanks TNFJ!] :tuba:
I read that a player had a nice new 1291 BBb 5 valve just like I was saving up for, and once he
tried a Rudi 5/4 BBb, he bought it and put the 1291 on consignment.
Plus a couple of highly respected tuba players, who get to kick the tires of all sorts of quality horns, own Rudi's
I will not name names, a search will reveal them, I had a chance to pick up a older pre-Bayreuth model for less than the 1291 BBb 5 banger is going for, plus hey, it seems to be a real insider's horn, there are very few dealers in North America, the company is a small shop,
he prefers to concentrate on quality rather than quantity.

You could travel to Pennsylvania and try mine if you like :mrgreen:
Hi Tuba-G Bass

I would love to travel to Pennsylvania but I'm in Australia and not in a position to take a holiday at the moment. There's a guy who lives an hour and a half from me that I see at competitions who has a 1970's vintage Rudy 5/4 BBb (one of two? in the country - I have one of the three? 1291BBb's in Australia!!!!) - I've been meaning to ask him for a blow on his tuba. I remember the post you refered to above. I'm not sure how I would survive without my fifth valve though.

Rudy's are highly regarded in Melbourne. On the orchestral scene you're nobody unless you have a Rudy 5/4CC five valve and a Melton 45 F tuba.

Regards

Gerard (Almost offtopic - I do have some pictures of me with various tubas somewhere - I just have to figure out how to post them. Viewer discretion will be advised).
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

Tuba-G Bass wrote:Image

The Rudi compared to my M&M BBb, wanna buy a M&M cheap? :P

at least Tubas are not like Trombones, there's Tenor, Remington, and Bass shank sizes :mrgreen:
It sounds massive by the way, and it's easy to get rolling, I was SO set on getting a Miraphone 1291BBb 4p1rv,
then I did research on the Tubenet, the Rudi's started sounding like a better horn, the bore getting bigger sooner, and the distinctive flair of the bell, and the bugle wrap seem to make a better horn, IMHO.
Oh, its going to be a great concert season :tuba:

That's one hell of a nice BBb kaiser!!
My bank account says I should save some more, but I'll get one, some day...

Wim