Who played tuba on Patty Duke Show PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT?

in that recording
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Who played tuba on Patty Duke Show PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT?

Post by David Richoux »

https://youtu.be/OmYmWYsgb84

A lot of it seems to be Patty Duke herself, but there is a lot of background music with a real player...
Picture 20.png
Just found out she will be appearing at a Q&A session (after screening of "Valley of the Dolls") at a San Francisco theatre this Monday - if I go, I will ask her ;-)
Last edited by David Richoux on Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Who played tuba on Patty Duke Show PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT?

Post by David Richoux »

I did NOT make it to the event, and I am so sorry this important piece of tuba trivia will probably be lost for the ages...
tubatradguy
lurker
lurker

Re: Who played tuba on Patty Duke Show PRACTICE MAKES PERFEC

Post by tubatradguy »

There's a good chance it's Don Butterfield. If it was recorded in NYC at that time, it was usually him. Also, Sid Ramin wrote the Patty Duke theme and Don did a lot of work with him!
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Who played tuba on Patty Duke Show PRACTICE MAKES PERFEC

Post by David Richoux »

Just got this note from an anonymous TubeNet lurker:

I recently met (Anna) Patty Duke and asked her if she could remember the tuba player who helped her with that 1964 tuba episode of The Patty Duke Show. I brought some photos of Don Butterfield from the 1960s and she was able to confirm that Don was the tuba player behind that episode. She recognized his name and particularly his face. She wanted to let the Tuba community know that it was Don and that he was kind and helpful to her, so she signed one of the photos (attached):

"Dear Tuba Players,

He's Don Butterfield.
So kind and helpful.

Patty Duke "

Patty Duke's height is 5'0" , so I assume she was that or slightly shorter as a teen during that Patty Duke show. She told me: "I'm telling you...Just trying to hold the thing...It was a legitimate one--a Sousaphone." She confirmed that Don taught her to play some notes herself, and that it was Don himself playing some of the music in the background scenes.

I don't post to TubeNet and I wish to remain anonymous, so feel free to post your own follow-up with the attached picture if you wish. I've added some photos from the TV episode on the left side, the signed photo is in the middle, and on the right side are recent photos of (Anna) Patty Duke. (In the lower right photo, you can see her looking at a Don Butterfield photo. She was very kind and nice, and agreed it was a fun and memorable episode.)