Opinions on TubaMM and F Tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
AdamSummoner
lurker
lurker

Opinions on TubaMM and F Tubas

Post by AdamSummoner »

Hey folks,

Been visiting this site for some time, but have never offered my words into this wise forum. 8)

First off, I am a nearly graduated Music Education major, and it has been recommended by my instructor, my faculty, and myself to invest in an F Tuba. I've been saving money ever since, and can afford anything below $4,000 without taking out student loans (an option I am beginning to seriously entertain, looking at the market), which actually brings me to the point of this thread.

In my searches, and through this site's ad bars cycling in the top right corner :wink: , I had found my way to the TubaMM site and was taking a gander at their F and CC tubas. Reading up on some of the archives here, I understand that these are Chinese horns? And this is why they are so cheap? I also got the impression from a few reviews that the CC is rather piggy and frowned upon, but the F is highly responsive (TU-600). At $3700, it seems perfect for my price range, but I do not wish to spend money on an instrument that cannot meet my needs. I am always wary of cheaply-made instruments.

I have been scouring the net for a PT-15 for sale, and/or possibly a PT-3 (as a CC tuba is another thing I am looking for in the future), but everything I find seems to rise well over double what I'm looking for. We'll see. Perantucci (from what I have tried in the past) has never let me down.
Also, for some reason, the search engine at this site doesn't want to work for me; I'm sure I am doing something wrong. :oops: So I apologize for not plugging this subject first into the search engine.

Well, as that introductory post went on long enough, this is my inquiry to all of you: What are your collective opinions on the products sold through TubaMM and their quality, and can you aid me in any way with advice on where to find my dream instruments? :)

Thank you very much. Over and out.
-Adam
Tau Beta Sigma - Gamma Kappa - Beta Nu
AdamSummoner
lurker
lurker

Re: Opinions on TubaMM and F Tubas

Post by AdamSummoner »

Well. Apologies. Just found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28883&hilit=TubaMM" target="_blank

Answers a good many questions, and even a few more on financing. Still, any other wisdom would be enlightening. :)
-Adam
Tuba Guy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tuba Guy »

If you're not set on getting an F, dillon has some Eb's that are definitely within your price range (quite a few 3v, but also one or two 4v). In fact, they are all under 2k (and the 3v-ers are all under 1k)
"We can avoid humanity's mistakes"
"Like the tuba!"
AdamSummoner
lurker
lurker

Post by AdamSummoner »

I'll hopefully head to Dillon's next week with another tubist friend (actually one who is building an Eb right now as I help him salvage parts), so I'll try that one out as well. Thanks for the tip!

And yes, I've played Jaws at a beach before. All I got was a lot of funny looks, and almost was attacked by a rabid beach ball. :)
-Adam
Tuba Guy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tuba Guy »

AdamSummoner wrote:And yes, I've played Jaws at a beach before. All I got was a lot of funny looks, and almost was attacked by a rabid beach ball. :)
Lol...I love taking "my" sousaphone (that has a giant mouth on it and teeth sticking out) and sneaking up behind someone while playing that. It's especially fun to do to the flautists.
"We can avoid humanity's mistakes"
"Like the tuba!"
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

I used a well-used [1898 Distin] Eb tuba in my orchestral gig (when I needed a bass) until I made enough bread to could afford a decent F. Worked for me. :wink:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Here's my recommendation . . . check out the MM if you wish, but don't buy it until you get a chance to try this: http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/Pr ... 3-5PX.aspx

Good picture here: Image (rose brass version of the same horn)

It falls well within your price range, is made in the Czech Republic, and is a great little "point and shoot" 5-valve F. To get an F that plays as well as the 653, you'll probably have to start saving up well over $7K to get a new horn from another maker, IMHO.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
AdamSummoner
lurker
lurker

Post by AdamSummoner »

jonesbrass wrote:Here's my recommendation . . . check out the MM if you wish, but don't buy it until you get a chance to try this: http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/Pr ... 3-5PX.aspx

Good picture here: Image (rose brass version of the same horn)

It falls well within your price range, is made in the Czech Republic, and is a great little "point and shoot" 5-valve F. To get an F that plays as well as the 653, you'll probably have to start saving up well over $7K to get a new horn from another maker, IMHO.
Wonderful, thanks so much for the link. I had also looked at this horn. Tell the truth, I've doing A LOT of shopping around, as well as practicing, and I might be able to borrow my friend's finished Eb (as "payment" for helping him get the parts) for some high-range playing instead of shelling out my savings early. For now, tuition takes precedence, and I can easily play my high stuff on the VMI with enough air support and musicianship. ;)

Winning the lottery would be nice, though. :)
-Adam
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

AdamSummoner wrote:First off, I am a nearly graduated Music Education major, and it has been recommended by my instructor, my faculty, and myself to invest in an F Tuba.
I am going out on a limb here. I am not trying to be mean, just pragmatic:
What are your aspirations after you complete your music ed degree? If you plan on teaching band, playing in community ensembles, picking up the sporadic gig...
You really do not need an F tuba. You will find virtually no use for it in any of those circumstances. It is not worth spending -four-thousand-dollars- just so you can play one or two pieces more comfortably right before you graduate and then let it collect dust.
If you go on to get a master's in music education, the same may hold true. I know several tuba players who have earned M.M.E degrees and never played anything past a BBb in their life.
If, however, you are going to grad school as a performance major, that is another story. Otherwise, wait and see what happens, and ask yourself if you really need an F.

-end sermon
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

bloke wrote:If you had been on your toes, you could have purchased a ready-to-go B&S "Symphonie" F tuba (right here on TubeNet) from Norm Pearson (LAPO) for $4000.

Typically, the professional players who sell instruments (instruments they decide they will no longer be playing) price their instruments to SELL, whereas quite a few other folk tend to "play like" they are selling their instruments (pricing them at c. $1000 less then new, etc...) You need to WATCH for professionals selling their instruments here on TubeNet. They tend to get right down to business and don't screw around...Their instruments tend to sell in a few hours or - if not that - within a day or two.
One important message from this useful post - at your price point, if you exercise a little patience, that time will pay off in the long run.
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

How about this one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35108" target="_blank

Gronitz, probably Floyd Cooley's old horn. Sounds like it would at least be better than the 3700 dollar tuba you were looking at and, at best could be a great, great F tuba.

no connection, just remembered that one down the board and in your price range. . .

also, I'll second that the Cervenys play quite well.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
Plugo
bugler
bugler

Post by Plugo »

if you are not going to pursue a performance career then you should wait on purchasing an F. i just started to play again after ten years. i want to get better to be able to play around town. but i do not have the time to practice two tubas. so i am going to stick with the CC for everything.
tubamlb
bugler
bugler

Post by tubamlb »

It is so interesting so many people have an opinion on a Tuba thay never played or set their eyes on ,The M&M Tubas
The Factory the the M&M come out of also makes the major brands for the market, The M&M instruments are specialy handled to be a great value
Sort of reminds me of the people that said I will never buy a Jap Car, and how wrong they were about that
zangerzzz
bugler
bugler

Post by zangerzzz »

I played a BBb M&M for 8 months. It has a good sound. Intonation was a screwey when in the treble cleft.
Parts were quickly avalible from the salesman in S.Fl who is a tuba player.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Here is one that might interest you.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35444" target="_blank" target="_blank
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

LJV wrote:
tubamlb wrote:It is so interesting so many people have an opinion on a Tuba thay never played or set their eyes on ,The M&M Tubas
The Factory the the M&M come out of also makes the major brands for the market, The M&M instruments are specialy handled to be a great value
Sort of reminds me of the people that said I will never buy a Jap Car, and how wrong they were about that
Jap Car? That's nice.

I think a lot of people HAVE played your horns (or the same horns stamped with a different name). No one is bashing, just suggesting alternatives.

BTW, what are the majors brands to which you refer? I'm sure many would be interested.

Helios? Wurzbach? Vento? Schiller?

It would give a good frame of reference.
I would like to try a M&M tuba - I've never had the chance. Without trying one, I can't recommend them to anyone. I am also curious as to which major brands M&M makes, if you can tell us.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
TUBAD83
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TUBAD83 »

M&M tubas come from 2 sources: their "house" brand tubas are made in China using M&M's specs.
They also sell German made tubas (Gebr.Alexander Mainz is the company that makes them). Check their website for more info:

http://www.tubamm.com/#" target="_blank" target="_blank

Having owned a M&M BBb, I think they are great for beginners and amateurs, especially if you're on a budget. Never had a problem with it. For students, its a solid durable horn that will definitely get you through school and works great in community bands. M&M offers a "try-out" period and a 5 year warranty on their tubas. I would definitely suggest to anyone to try one out and see for yourself.

JJ
Jerry Johnson
Schiller BBb "Schillbrunner" aka "JFK"
King 1241
Lone Star Symphonic Band