Tuba Euphonium Job Opening in Thailand

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
jdsalas
pro musician
pro musician

Tuba Euphonium Job Opening in Thailand

Post by jdsalas »

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to post this job opening on this site. If anyone has any questions about the position or about living in Thailand, please contact me. This is a great opportunity to get some international teaching experience and work with some incredible students and faculty. This is the first full-time tuba/euphonium teaching job in the country.

J.D. Salas

HERE IS THE AD:

Artist/Teacher of Tuba-Euphonium,Full Time. Position Description and Responsibilities: Teach applied Tuba and Euphonium, tuba euphonium literature and pedagogy classes, perform with BrassArts Bangkok, an international touring ensemble comprised of Mahidol Brass Faculty, and teach other courses depending on the department needs and the candidate's expertise. Additional areas of need are in music theory, ear training, music history, music technology, recording engineering, and others. Also, performing opportunities exist with the newly created Thailand Philharmonic Orchestra.
Qualifications: Master's or Doctoral degree, plus professional performance experience. Excellence in teaching, performance, and creative achievement must be documented.

Start Date: June 1, 2005

Application deadline: February 1, 2005 or until filled

Application materials should include letter of application, curriculum vita, a list of references, a recent performance recording, and other supporting materials. Apply to:

Dr. Joseph Bowman, Chair, Brass Department, Mahidol University College of Music, Phutthamonthon Sai 4, Salaya, Nakhonpathom, 73170, Thailand

Phone: +666-758-9106

Fax: +662-800-2530

Email: jbowman1993@yahoo.com

This is a link to the school webpage.
http://www.music.mahidol.ac.th/
jdsalas
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jdsalas »

Actually, The language barrier is not that bad. All of the students are taking english lessons as part of their course work. In fact, we have three full time english teachers just for the school of music. You'd be surprised how many Thai people can speak thai, They are some of the friendliest people I have ever met.
The most incredible thing about this gig is how well educators are treated. Not only by the students, but by the entire country. I've have yet to hear one of my students say "No, I can't do that". You could give a kid an assignment on "Finale" or "Sibelius" and if he does'nt know the program, he'll learn it and then do the assignment without complaint.
Living in Thailand is a bit of a shock at first, but there are so many things to see and do. If it was'nt for some personal circumstances, I would consider staying but I'm very comfortable with my desicion to head back home.
I really hope that some of you think about sending in your application materials. It' s a chance of a lifetime.

J.D.