Watch - ?Miraphone for sale?

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

The "no escrow none of the time" clause makes my radar go 'ping'. The only way I would pay this guy is with the money order or cashier's check -- IN PERSON, AT HIS RESIDENCE, as I'm picking up the horn. And I'd try to determine whether it's stolen beforehand. For that matter, did Miraphone seral numbers reach the 11000's as early as the 70's? A doctored serial number would also be something to be on the lookout for.

The guy might very well be on the level; but he's raised plenty of cause to be suspicious.
3 valves

Miraphone

Post by Mitch »

I live 15 minutes from the seller and have asked for an opportunity to try the horn. Beside the questionable nature of his auction for this horn is that he also has "for sale" another instrument, the pictures for which are curiously identical (in every possible way) to an instrument for sale by seller "mrstregs." I'll let you know if I get to try the horn...
Mitch
3 valves
3 valves

Miraphones on eBay

Post by Mitch »

I heard back from seller "mrstregs" after alerting him to an apparent duplicate of his auction. He's in touch with the eBay security folks now, as he has no doubt those are, in fact, the pictures from his auction. He also related a recent experience regarding someone trying to pay through Western Union via what turned out to be a non-existent account; his curiosity was piqued when the person wanted to send him a $2500 Western Union wire transfer for a $700 item, asking, of course, for the difference in cash.

I've not heard back from the dubious seller regarding an opportunity to try the horn (CC)in person. Hmmm...let's see...someone is selling two instruments on eBay, one of which is certainly questionable...(item 3769835640 vs. 3768657081 legit)..but...surely the other one (3769834327)...would be...? :roll:
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

I placed a bid on this Miraphone 186-4U CC tuba. The "buy it now" optioin was used, and I was the second highest bidder. The seller then e-mailed me and offered the tuba to me at my bidding price ($1,600 including shipping). I was interested but also alerted by the price and the whole second-chance thing, fearing that it might be a fraud. The guy kept asking me for my name and address saying that so he can proceed, no matter what questions I ask him, or what I write in the e-mail, basically. Then I got this e-mail from "ebay.com" that asked me to pay through western union.
There were a few things in dealing with this person that made me really uncomfortable.

First, on the auction site it says the tuba is Nebraska, but the seller says the horn is actually in Chicago. (Is this designed to prevent a personal trial, so that if someone is actually in Nebraska won't be able to try the horn?)

Second, when I asked this guy (quite a few times, repeatedly, because he would just reply my e-mail and say "please give me your name and address" and nothing else) to make the tuba available for a play-test, but he said that his phone number was not working at the time (what a coincidence). What I had in mind was that I'd call Rex Martin to see if he can arrange for maybe one of his graduate student to play this tuba or even better Rex Martin himself play it, with me paying for his/her time.

Third, when asked why the high bidder did not buy the tuba, he replied that the guy had financial difficulties, his daughter being sick. I thought it was pretty lame for a lie, however if it were true I wish her recover soon.

I remember the last e-mail I sent this guy was saying that I will not buy the tuba unless I can have someone prove it, and thus prove its existence.
I never heard from this guy again.

It was also ofen stressed by him that, to paraphrase, "if you want to buy the tuba you must follow eBay rules," or "if you follow eBay rules there will be no problem." Basically that's the equav. of saying "just pay me the money and shut up." and he also refued to use paypal. I don't know what kind of protection eBay offers, but escrow happen to not offer service in Arizona.

Finally, when Rex Martin and Brian Frederisken were mentioned, the seller replied that he doesn't know them. Ok, I know not every tuba player in Chicago should know the names, but chances are, they do. But of course this is not an absolute need for someone who just play the tuba for fun or does not involve in the tuba world enough, or simply does not play the tuba.

I also checked the seller's eBay rating, apparently he bought a couple of second-hand Play Station games to boost his rating.
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

same thing happened to me back in November...I called the store that was actually selling the horn and he said that it was a fraud....he offered no second chance on the horn (the horn didnt sell because the reserve wasnt met). I guess there has been a lot of this going on and i suspect its because tubas are high end products and if you can get away with fooling one person its a pretty good payday.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

cc_tuba_guy wrote:I don't, but I think a spamming is in order... :twisted:
Your homework, class, is to go to at least one crappy rip-off website and register for as much stuff to be sent to you as possible -- at campionii_2005@yahoo.com.