Melton 2165 FS

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Jonathan Baker
pro musician
pro musician

Melton 2165 FS

Post by Jonathan Baker »

I am selling an early model Melton/Meinl Weston 2165 (no tone ring). It is in raw brass. I picked it up at Dillon Music about 2 years ago and the previous owner was JáTtik Clark in Oregon Symphony. This instrument is a fabulous example and plays great. It has had many of the 2265 modifications done to it over the years including new "big valves" valve block, MW45S leadpipe, replacement main tuning slide etc. It's in great condition - a little ding here and there but I don't see that it has ever sustained any major damage. I am asking $US8000 or best offer and will be bringing it to the US in the third week of July (to NYC). I am not selling a bag or case with it.
Best wishes
Jonathan Baker
Principal Tuba
Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra
New Zealand
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigbob
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Melton 2165 FS

Post by bigbob »

beautiful horn!!BUMP....................................bigbob
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

I've played this horn when Jat'Tik owned it. It was a great horn then and he only made it better. If you're looking for a "hog" on a budget this is a great deal.

Chris Olka
Seattle Symphony
Seattle Opera
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
Jonathan Baker
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jonathan Baker »

Thank you gentlemen for your recommendations.
I should probably add why I am selling this tuba. To be honest I bought it on impulse because I could afford it (as Mr. Olka said - an affordable "hog" on a budget) and was absolutely amazed at how well it played (given the general reputation of these instruments)! I had until then always played at most 5/4 instruments in my orchestra (we only have 6 basses) and had thought I would maybe use a 6/4 10-15% of the time. BUT I wasn't prepared for how much I loved making that "6/4 sound" and how flexible this instrument proved to be (especially for a 2165!) With all the upset in the Euro-zone and a strengthening New Zealand dollar I have paid my deposit on a Nirschl "York" and booked my fare to Munich in the 3rd week of July to choose from a batch of 2 or 3. I am very excited (as are the rest of the brass section). I know the Nirschl will give me even more flexibility with a little more colour in the sound - but for another $US12,000 than I am selling this for!! If I don't sell my 2165 privately between now and then I will drop it back to Matt Walters at Dillons to sell on my behalf on my way to Germany.
Best wishes
Jonathan Baker
Jonathan Baker
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jonathan Baker »

Bump - before you know it you're at the bottom of page 3!
:roll:
bigbob
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigbob »

I still really like this horn! the raw brass look is great!Ahhh just a few sculptures away <s>.............................bigbob
Jonathan Baker
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Jonathan Baker »

Bump
TheDancingSousa
bugler
bugler

Post by TheDancingSousa »

Is this still for sale?
Meinl Weston 45S
Eastman 836
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

Please take into consideration the dates of these postings. This, as well as the other one, is 7 years old.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)