W. Nirschl Brass tuba dealers

The bulk of the musical talk
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

W. Nirschl Brass tuba dealers

Post by Alex F »

Who actually sells the W. Nirschl J-700 (Weril/Gemstone/Gemeinhardt) 4/4 tuba? I've looked on the W. Nirschl brass web-site but it is incomplete and has no actual dealer listing or contact information posted. Looks like I just missed a chance to see one of these at DePaul in Chicago a few weeks ago when Mr. Cooley's studio had a play0test of the various models. Was anyone there that has a comment?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: W. Nirschl Brass tuba dealers

Post by Dan Schultz »

http://www.gemstonemusical.com/

BTW... I had an opportunity to play the NEW Nirschle tuba two weeks ago. This one was a very good horn and a 'killer' horn for the bucks the proud new owner paid for it.

http://www.wnirschl.com/catalogpage.asp ... ductid=118
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Dan, how did it compare to your 1291 clone?
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

The tuba I'm curious about is this one:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VxWph4lhM8A/S ... ph+014.jpg

Has anyone played it?
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

TexTuba wrote:The tuba I'm curious about is this one:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VxWph4lhM8A/S ... ph+014.jpg

Has anyone played it?
It bears a striking resemblance to a St. Pete.

ImageImage
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Bob Kolada wrote:Dan, how did it compare to your 1291 clone?
Having all these fun horns around to play is enough to make a fellow's head spin! There are just a lot of choices of good-playing horns. To me... the NEW Nirschle handles very much like the original Nirschle tubas that were made in the Bohm & Meinl factory in Germany. The horn reminded me very much of the Marzan (B & M) piston horn.... for good reason... I'm told that the bell, bottom bow, and large branches are made off the same tooling.

I would have liked to have had a little more time with the NEW Nirschle tuba. It's difficult to evaluate a horn based on playing it for just a short time. I'm still trying to evaluate the differences between the REAL 1291 and the 'clone'. :lol:
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

bloke wrote:.... A Brazilian Nirschl is to B/M Symphonic (pre-Gerhard Meinl) as Jinbao 186-5U-CC knock-off is to a c. 1975 Miraphone 186-5U-CC.

The pricing is attractive, but the subtleties of the best of the Nirschl-style tubas are not found in the Brazil production.
Agreeing with Joe on this one... well.... mostly. As a professional musician, Joe is MUCH more qualified to judge the playing characteristics of tubas. I found the new Nirschle to be a very good playing horn. However... the fit and finish that I have learned to expect from a B & M-built Nirschle is far superior to the Brazil-made horns. The price is very attractive but the basic fit and finish is somewhat comparable to the JinBao tubas.... as one should expect for the price point.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

In the limited time I spent on the horn in the elephant room at the Army Band Conf., I was very impressed. I thought it played like a Nirschl. My major complaint was that it was awkward to hold, but that has been changed in another version (or model), maybe not for the better based on some comments. I am very interested in this horn and I'm looking forward to playing one again if somebody decides to sell them. I guess I didn't really check out the finish. I trust you guys who have, but does anobody agree that it plays pretty much just like a Nirschl?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Bill Troiano wrote:.... I guess I didn't really check out the finish. I trust you guys who have, but does anobody agree that it plays pretty much just like a Nirschl?
When I use the term 'fit and finish', I'm not referring to the way the horn looks or the quality of the plating/lacquer. This term applies to what is probably the time and grade of lapping compounds that are used to perform the final finishing of the pistons and slides. To me... the '3rd World' produced tubas all have a 'scratchy' feel to them. Sorry if the term '3rd World' offends anyone. I just can't come up with a politically correct term at the moment.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Euphistuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Euphistuba »

Yes but where can we buy one??
Schiller CC 186 Clone Sellmansberger Symphony
B"&"H Roundstamp Sov. Euphonium
Besson Bb Comp Tuba
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

My specific interest is in the BBb model J-700LQ, not the more recently released CC version. I've sent a message to Gemstone to find out who actually sells these horns and where one can actually put their hands on one to try it.

When one speaks of the "fit and finish" issues, would they be similar to those encountered with the "new style" King 2341s coming out of Eastlake, Ohio? The reports I have read about these horns is that they can also be quite rough coming out of the factory but can be made quite nice with the help of a quality tuba specialiist like Joe, Dan, Lee Stofer, or Matt Wlaters. This appears to t be the case with my King 2341 (ex Mike Finn). With some valve lapping, installation of new valve guides, and addition of some water keys, plus a good cleaning, all done by Mr. Stofer, this is a very good horn. Of course, I did not first lay it until after all the work was done buy Mike did tell me that he had the pick of the ltter when he bought it from BBC. My only gripe about the horn is the weight and the valve placement - for ME it is a bit of a atretch to hit thouse pistons.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Euphistuba wrote:Yes but where can we buy one??
Unless I'm sadly mistaken (and I've been known to be)... you can speak with Richard Barth at Gemstone Musical Instruments about purchasing the Walter Nirschle line of instruments.

http://www.gemstonemusical.com/
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
I believe Buckeye Brass is a place where you can order a W. Nirschl CC tuba:

http://www.buckeyebrass.net/" target="_blank

Good luck.
Regards-
mark
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I burned up the search engine looking for the same answer, as I have been advised the product itself is great. After coming up with nothing for a retailer, I found myself a Custom Music customer.
MORE AIR
Grand_Patou
lurker
lurker

Post by Grand_Patou »

Hi all,

I'm going in Germany next week. Does anyone know a store in Berlin that have Nirschl tubas. I would like to try them.

Thanks.
The best is yet to come

Patou
Rudolf Meinl 5/4 Bayreuth Model ....a bomb
Yamaha YBB-641 BBb
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

If you want to buy a German-made Nirschl in Germany, I think you have to go to the Nirschl factory directly. Contact Walter through his web site and make arrangements to be sure he has some in the shop. I don't think there is much of a retail outlet in Germany for various reasons.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Dave Seip
bugler
bugler

Post by Dave Seip »

We don't have any tubas in stock, just a couple euphs, but Brook Mays deals in Nirschl.
Dave Seip
Email: davidseiptuba@gmail.com" target="_blank
tubajazzo
bugler
bugler

Post by tubajazzo »

The Weril-Nirschl tubas seem to be unknown to german dealers, afaik....same with stainless steel mouthpieces. Whatever the reasons may be.

Gerd
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

tubajazzo wrote:The Weril-Nirschl tubas seem to be unknown to german dealers, afaik....same with stainless steel mouthpieces. Whatever the reasons may be.

Gerd
The Weril built Nirschls are intended for the American market and will probably not be available in Europe unless there is a Gemeinhardt dealer there.
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Got a clarifying email from Dick Barth which answers several posts on this thread.

FYI
W. Nirschl tubas are available from most Gemeinhardt dealers.
As with many tuba brands, few stock them.
It IS our intention to distribute W. Nirschl in Europe . Walter
(Nirschl) will be distributing as soon as production can handle.

(Buckeye Brass in Ohio has stocked the BBb and the CC.
Carl’s Pro Band in IL has stocked the BBb.
Griggs Music in Iowa has a BBb in stock.
Reiman Music in Iowa has a BBb in stock.
Griggs Music in Iowa has a P.Weingrill TU2 ‘Prokofiev’.)